• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sam Darnold Vikings

ThPantherFan

9 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Isn't that what good coaches are supposed to do? Scheme to strengths and hide weaknesses. Here in Carolina we do it different. 

Darnold is who he is. The current situation reminds me of the Vikings a few year ago when they started a journeyman at QB and made it to the NFC Championship game. 
Then that player sucked when he left the team. Same thing with Foles when he left the Eagles. 
Darnold is “good” now. But we all know if he wasn’t in this perfect situation he would still be not good. 
When Darnold was here we said he needed a perfect team to be good and now he is on one that is perfect for him.

• Pie 2

So the Sam Darnold panthers had a strong running game, Dawg mentality, and  DJ Moore. Sam showed some progress (he still had some damnit, Sam plays, but so did our 2 best QBs of all time)… and it was all burned down, for this. It was moldable. But nope. Too conventional. 

Right now, I have no idea what the base is because we seem to keep falling through every floor we step on. 

• Pie 2

4 hours ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

Darnold is who he is. The current situation reminds me of the Vikings a few year ago when they started a journeyman at QB and made it to the NFC Championship game. 
Then that player sucked when he left the team. Same thing with Foles when he left the Eagles. 
Darnold is “good” now. But we all know if he wasn’t in this perfect situation he would still be not good. 
When Darnold was here we said he needed a perfect team to be good and now he is on one that is perfect for him.

I get that but he is now playing better because he's being coached up and they have actually acquired talent instead of trading for projects. We've had how many QBs since Cam's shoulder took a crap and none of then have developed at all. Darnold is never going to be an all pro, but he's doing OK for now and McCarthy is learning in the way a QB should his rookie year, from the bench. Meanwhile we traded for a QB whose only skill so far seems to be tricking a pretend GM out of 30m dollars. 

• Pie 1

I'm happy for Sam

At first I hated the trade, then I talked myself into it, then I hated it again

But when I matured is when I realized it wasn't Sam's fault. He had Matt Rhule coaching him and then when Wilks took over he looked not bad. 

I don't think he'd be the player today without Shannhan and now KOC grooming him though. He needed an actual talented offensive mind. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

18 hours ago, CBDellinger said:

how do you hide a defensive line that cant set the edge, cant stop the run up the middle or create any pressure on the qb?

Honestly this. I feel like our number one off-season need is to get a massive NT and a superstar edge. If we went 1/2 in the draft at DL it wouldn't be a bad strategy. 

• Pie 1

12 hours ago, Day1PanthersFan said:

Sam looked like that with us under Wilks , Tepper let a guy go who excels at getting the best out of players

Wilks isn't coaching in the NFL.

Wilks bread and butter was a strong run game and an opportunistic defense.

Against the Commanders we could not move the ball on a 4th and 1 after investing $150 million in the interior of our OL.

We would still be getting our asses handed to us with Wilks coaching. Please end this automatic cope reflex already.

• Beer 1

12 hours ago, SOJA said:

I'm happy for Sam

But when I matured is when I realized it wasn't Sam's fault. He had Matt Rhule coaching him and then when Wilks took over he looked not bad. 

I don't think he'd be the player today without Shannhan and now KOC grooming him though. He needed an actual talented offensive mind. 

That's probably true.

• Pie 1

12 hours ago, SOJA said:

I'm happy for Sam

Sam seems like a legit good dude but I don't see him ever leading a team that's contends for a SB but hell, I'm kinda rooting for him to prove me wrong just because I know it would chap Tepper's ass and further embarrass him. LOL

• Pie 1

14 hours ago, Day1PanthersFan said:

Sam looked like that with us under Wilks , Tepper let a guy go who excels at getting the best out of players

Can't deny that. The players seemed to respond to Wlks during that time. Would it have continued? Who knows but we didnt even give it a shot the next season and instead hired someone that was fired half way through the following. Could have been advantageous to have Wilks back for one solid audition seasons as head coach to see what he does or give him a few year deal that Tepp would have fired him from immediately if he stunk it up anyhow. Nothing really to lose there since we hired a head coach next that didnt even seem to care to be here coaching or have any personality or energy what so ever.