• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

In what strange parallel dimension is LB our biggest need

5 minutes ago, Waldo said:

The oline pick should come earlier. Wallace looks better than Jewell did as a rookie. I think a 5th rounder could take his spot after a year. Plus he is on IR right? Go ahead and get him another backup asap.

I’d take a late OL pick every year. They have higher success rates. Even if we draft one earlier. I don’t think Jewell is ok IR. I think he is DTD. I’m all for depth though. A backup LB sure, just don’t bank on him replacing a solid starter.

15 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I’d take a late OL pick every year. They have higher success rates. Even if we draft one earlier. I don’t think Jewell is ok IR. I think he is DTD. I’m all for depth though. A backup LB sure, just don’t bank on him replacing a solid starter.

They need to be picking an C most likely. Yeah oline and dline as 2 picks is a good plan. QB. OLBer with one from free agency. Safety. Maybe another RB or CB.

I think Wallace already replaced him and not Shaq. Jewell isn't good enough to be the ILBer that can pass protect. He is already a backup with Wallace outplayed him. They need another ILBer for sure if Shaq is done which is likely unfortunately.

Edited by Waldo
  • Pie 1

2 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

We have Wallace and Jewell next year? Unless you are talking about edge/olb. I’d agree that edge is a top need but that lines up for with 4-3 DEs to me. 

I wish we would go back to 4-3 base defense anyways.  We are in nickel 80% of the time.  I'm just not a fan of 34.  It feels the most dated against modern offensive schemes.

4 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

I wish we would go back to 4-3 base defense anyways.  We are in nickel 80% of the time.  I'm just not a fan of 34.  It feels the most dated against modern offensive schemes.

I think most are hybrids as you stated they are in nickel most of the time. Clowney for example can be an edge or a 4-3 DE. It just depends on how he is lined up. 

12 minutes ago, Waldo said:

They need to be picking an C most likely. Yeah oline and dline as 2 picks is a good plan. QB. OLBer with one from free agency. Safety. Maybe another RB or CB.

I think Wallace already replaced him and not Shaq. Jewell isn't good enough to be the ILBer that can pass protect. He is already a backup with Wallace outplayed him. They need another ILBer for sure if Shaq is done which is likely unfortunately.

I agree with all except Wallace replacing Jewell. Both ILB positions in this scheme seem pretty interchangeable. Shaq is done for the year. When Jewell returns I’d bet it’s him and Wallace at the ILB spots since they are the best of the group. 

35 minutes ago, Waldo said:

He is also 30, hurt and a pff grade of 58.8. It was a bad signing. He also isn't good in pass and was the run guy next to Shaq. Meh, they could easily find better than that IMO and Wallace already took that spot.

He had a 88 and 77 rating his two full seasons playing under Evero in Denver. Yeah he turns 30 in December so he’ll be 32 when we are done with him. That’s about right for letting him walk. Looking at his rating in the 4 games he played on a new team that’s struggling isn’t the best way to judge him. Hell even his 58 is showing in the yellow. So average at his position even with all the crap around him. Again he is nothing special but I think he is an average starter in this league which is something we are missing at a lot more positions. Personally I’d look to replace him before his last year like we are doing with Shaq. We just have so many needs right now…

9 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

He had a 88 and 77 rating his two full seasons playing under Evero in Denver. Yeah he turns 30 in December so he’ll be 32 when we are done with him. That’s about right for letting him walk. Looking at his rating in the 4 games he played on a new team that’s struggling isn’t the best way to judge him. Hell even his 58 is showing in the yellow. So average at his position even with all the crap around him. Again he is nothing special but I think he is an average starter in this league which is something we are missing at a lot more positions. Personally I’d look to replace him before his last year like we are doing with Shaq. We just have so many needs right now…

He just didn't look good himself this year IMO. Also being a better on a tip D is what usually happens to the meh guys. Do the averages. We do and ILBer is one with Shaq likely done. Just make him Walaces backup.

I think pass rushing LB is a definite need. ILB is more dependent on interior d linemen taking up blocks and controlling the LOS. Our interior d line is getting their butts whipped almost every play. That's like asking a RB to run between the tackles when the OGs and C are getting pushed into the backfield. Luke was a dawg - no doubt. But bringing in Star and KK was the best thing they could have done for him and this defense. Feel like this team needs the same. They already have Derrick Brown and tried to bring in Ashawn. Maybe Ashwan would be better next to Derrick instead of the warm bodies out there now. 

2 minutes ago, Waldo said:

He just didn't look good himself this year IMO. Also being a better on a tip D is what usually happens to the meh guys. Do the averages. We do and ILBer is one with Shaq likely done. Just make him Walaces backup.

Jewell will replace Cherelus when he comes back.  He is actually listed at the starter with Wallace on the depth chart with Shaq being out.  We have a LILB and  a RILB on our traditional and yeah I know we use nickel a lot but I've seen all kinds of hybrid schemes.  For example Wallace and Cherelus saw plenty of playing time together this past game.  Don't get me wrong, if we replace Jewell I won't be mad, like I said he is just an average starter.  We just already have him under contract for the next few years and have a lot more pressing needs IMO.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/depth/_/name/car

• Beer 1

Top needs as of right now IMO 

1. Edge/OLB (1 R1, 1 more in R2 - R5, and 1 on highest priority free agent acquisition) 

2. DT/DE (Any dline in general that can actually stop the run not named Derrick Brown) 

3. CB #2 

4. Safety 

5. ILB (mostly depends on what happens with Jewell/Shaq) 

6. WR (if we don't keep Diontae Johson this would move up to #3) 

7. Center/OL depth 

Edited by Hoenheim
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, Hoenheim said:

1. Edge/OLB (1 high in the draft, 1 on highest priority free agent acquisition) 

2. DT/DE (Any dline in general that can actually stop the run not named Derrick Brown) 

3. CB #2 

4. Safety 

7. Center/OL depth 

other than that how was the play mrs. lincoln

4 minutes ago, Hoenheim said:

1. Edge/OLB (1 R1, 1 more in R2 - R5, and 1 on highest priority free agent acquisition) 

3. CB #2 

4. Safety 

7. Center/OL depth 

oh and qb as well

• Pie 1

They need to find a way to being in at least 3 new pass rushers. At least 2 of them need to be blue chip players we know we're getting production out of.

If I was Dan Morgan I'd treat getting the top EDGE free agent as big of a priority as it was getting Hunt and Lewis this past off season.

Good news is they recognized how weak the o line was last year and fixed it immediately in free agency . If we get that kind of fix again on the dline/pass rush, that would help alot. 

• Beer 1

7 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Jewell will replace Cherelus when he comes back.  He is actually listed at the starter with Wallace on the depth chart with Shaq being out.  We have a LILB and  a RILB on our traditional and yeah I know we use nickel a lot but I've seen all kinds of hybrid schemes.  For example Wallace and Cherelus saw plenty of playing time together this past game.  Don't get me wrong, if we replace Jewell I won't be mad, like I said he is just an average starter.  We just already have him under contract for the next few years and have a lot more pressing needs IMO.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/depth/_/name/car

I think without Shaq we are lacking a dime and nickle guy. Add in  what happens to that D and who knows. Jewell sure isn't playing in a 4-3.