• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Taking on Watson contract if the compensation is right

TD alt

2 hours ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

We really shouldn't let Clemson fans make new threads.

I've been a Clemson fan my whole life (37 yrs old) and I'll always appreciate what Deshaun did at Clemson. I have a lot of DW4 memorabilia throughout my "man cave" but this dude is washed. He is not the same dude that was at Clemson and not the same dude that was at Houston. His circle of friends changed once he got to the NFL. Obviously new girlfriend, not the same one he dated in high school and while at Clemson. No idea if it's a bad influence around him or if he's just mentally checked out once all the off field stuff was exposed. All that said, just because a Clemson fan created the thread does not mean all Clemson fans are on board with Watson. I was on board a few years ago when they talked about signing him but once I saw what he was guaranteed and what Cleveland gave up, I was relieved. If Carolina gave him what Cleveland did it would have been worse than the Bryce trade.

Now, would it suck to have Watson as the QB? Yeah it would. He's playing AWFUL. Carolina would have to deal with 2-3 more years of awful QB play. It would suck to eat his contract as well BUT.... if Cleveland called offering two firsts just so a team would take on that $, how do you pass that up? We suck as is and need draft picks. Carolina isn't winning the Super Bowl next year or the year after so you obtain the picks and try to build up the roster. Carolina isn't a QB away. Obtain all draft picks you can and hope you hit on them. If it happens, cool I'm glad we got the picks but I am not all for it just to have Watson. I would do the deal for the draft picks alone. 

Edited by TEClemson53
  • Pie 1

On 10/17/2024 at 8:45 PM, Jaxel said:

Send in the trade. Watson can tank us to Manning just as well as Young can, and we get bonus first round picks? Win win

On 10/17/2024 at 9:10 PM, CamWhoaaCam said:

If we trade for Watson I'm selling my house and moving to Maryland so I can make the Ravens my official team.

I wouldn't touch that clown for 5 1st Rd picks.

23 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

This ain't Madden bro. This topic is a joke. Tepper actually went hard after this clown. Can you imagine if this dude was our QB right now.

Worst owner with the worst human being at QB. Oh yeah that duo would have went down in the history books as the worst tandem in sports history.

Someone has to get Tepper out of Charlotte. 

23 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Seriously though, I think the NFL has refused to certify trades like this in the past where it's obvious that a team is essentially buying draft picks.

23 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

Stupidity Are You Stupid GIF

The idea is to take on his salary and cut him. He would never play a down for the Panthers. And, yes, there is precedent. The Browns traded for Brock Osweiler for that very reason, and then cut him. The NFL doesn't care, as long as you stay under the cap.

1 hour ago, TD alt said:

The idea is to take on his salary and cut him. He would never play a down for the Panthers. And, yes, there is precedent. The Browns traded for Brock Osweiler for that very reason, and then cut him. The NFL doesn't care, as long as you stay under the cap.

His contract is fully guaranteed. The remaining money is accelerated and they have to pay remaining owed. How does that help them?

11 minutes ago, PantherKyle said:

This would not be to GET Watson. It would be taking on dead cap to cut him and acquire first round picks. I am all for it. We need talent. 

You can't take the cap because Cleveland keeps it. That's how fully guaranteed contracts work. There's no advantage to either team. Even if it were possible then the team would also have to pay the remaining guaranteed money the second the Panthers cut him. On top of that they would have to clear around 60M in order to sign him. Then turn around and cut him and absorb a 100M cap hit. What on earth says that is worth 2 1sts. It would finish this team off and be the laughing stock of the league for another 30 years. 

The whole scenario is dumb and wouldn't possibly work for the Browns so it will never happen. Mr. happy Ending is stuck up in that poo hole they call Cleveland. I know that city all too well as it's where I grew up. Watson and Cleveland deserve one another. Both aren't worth a poo.

3 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

His contract is fully guaranteed. The remaining money is accelerated and they have to pay remaining owed. How does that help them?

Because they get from under Watson. We absorb some of the cap hit. How much? Depends upon how much draft compensation that they're willing to pay. 

It's just a discussion. No one said it's imminent or even likely.