• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Taking on Watson contract if the compensation is right

TD alt

3 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

He has a no trade clause right? He can just veto the trade…

he didnt want to go there in the first place so he might waive it just to get out of Cleveland.

Lombardi said on his podcast that watson is the classic "make a ton of money and then mail it in" player.  Hes seen it 1000X times.  So maybe watson would be just fine getting traded, paid and then cut.   I probably would want more then 2 firsts but if its an option its not the worst one.   This team needs draft capital in a bad bad way

• Pie 2

14 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Is this to trade and dump Watson or to actually put him on the active team? He can't even beat out Dalton right now either so if it's not just a cap eating for picks thing than fug him and his contract.

It would have to be trade and dump. That's the only world where it makes sense. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

I hope so. He should be happy with that because it's all guaranteed and then he can go play anywhere he wants....that would touch him lol

That contract is absolutely horrendous and the Browns have done nothing but restructured it in 2023 and 2024, taking on additional void years to weasel their way out of paying any of it so far. He has a fully guaranteed 73 million due in 2025, 73 million due in 2026, and 18 mil void year payment in 2027 and 9 mil void year payment in 2028. 

Even if the Browns keep the signing bonus and restructure bonus on their cap, he would still cost a team 46 million on base salary for the next 2 years. 

The Panthers are scheduled to have about 41 million in cap space next year, and that is without re-signing anyone. Leaving us with a 40 man roster. 

It would take some Mickey Loomis BS to make those numbers work and we see how deep the Saints talent pool currently is. 

Leave Handjob Henry up there in Cleveland and make them finish it off. The guy is a mess off the field and on. Bad karma, bad play, bad for the team.

Let's move on from this crap, huh?

When are we going to learn that two trade losers going into a deal trying to take advantage of each other is like watching two morons fighting over who gets to step in the dog poo this time? 

Let's stop making deals and try to make a frikkin' team instead. 

Edited by Khyber53
  • Pie 1

23 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

There is no way that you can make this work. For one thing half of the team would have to be cut to take on his contract even if they could unload it on our dumbass for even considering something so insane. You think 2 1sts is enough to compensate for that? I've heard some stupid id3as on this board but thos has to be the all time idiotic ideas I've ever heard of. It would make the Young blunder look normal. 

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

It won't happen but I'd take it in a heartbeat. He's better than Young. 

Imagine. Young would be their starter in 2025 which IMO means Cleveland sucks and will be a top 5 pick in 2026.  We'll have two picks and in a position to get whatever we need. 

If by some chance Canales turns Watson around we'll have a QB for a couple of years.  If not we still have two top picks. 

BUILD THRU THE DRAFT. If we got a 1 and 2 for Young I'd be ecstatic. Throw in Watson. 

NO BRAINER