• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Stop the obsession with the QB position

TheMaulClaw

3 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

I am assuming by top of the draft, he meant top five picks or maybe even top 2 or 3 picks.  No doubt that you are more likely to get a successful qb in the first round than the later rounds, that is true of all NFL positions.  I will see that this appears to the odd year where both of the top 2 qb's picked are playing fairly well, although the #2 looks significantly better than the number 1.  

The secret is, that no matter how impressive they were in college, the truth is that the vast majority of college QBs never work out as NFL caliber QBs. Rarest job in the sports world to be able to have and hold onto. 32 teams in the league, maybe 18 players at a time qualified to do the job. At best.

Might be best to build the rest of the team and just keep trying to find someone steady and confident. Who knows, you might get lucky and catch a guy at just the right time who has no pedigree, like Delhomme or Purdy. Or who is suddenly capable like Darnold or Mayfield... just missed with those two guys (well, maybe it wasn't them that was the problem here).

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

9 minutes ago, strato said:

In no way did I believe he would have survived last season as the starter behind that line. Things are better now. He can ball distribute at the professional level though. I believe I had stated if you have better one by all means. But he isn't broken today. 

Hell I have said even get another Dalton if you go that way and between the two we could make a season. 

Or just get a younger bridge and draft a rookie that doesn't have to play right away? It's not about survival it's about a 37 year old being able to physically keep it up. His arm was tired in NO and I think we see that at the second half of the season when father time catches up thowing 30+ times every week. I also think Dalton could have got better play out of that line last year so maybe not killed but definitely worn down faster. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Dalton retires. Let's see how he is doing at the end of this season. His contract is up this year but he still has $967,000 a year hit for 3 more years after that also.

• Beer 1

10 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

The secret is, that no matter how impressive they were in college, the truth is that the vast majority of college QBs never work out as NFL caliber QBs. Rarest job in the sports world to be able to have and hold onto. 32 teams in the league, maybe 18 players at a time qualified to do the job. At best.

Might be best to build the rest of the team and just keep trying to find someone steady and confident. Who knows, you might get lucky and catch a guy at just the right time who has no pedigree, like Delhomme or Purdy. Or who is suddenly capable like Darnold or Mayfield... just missed with those two guys (well, maybe it wasn't them that was the problem here).

That right there is what should have discouraged a massive asset sink  for the top pick. Along with, if people see a guy as can't miss, you cannot trade into that pick they won't give it up. Seeing that a team wants to trade out of that slot should tell you something too. 

Darnold was being cast aside for Mayfield. Goes to the impatience claims too, but at the same time Mayfield didn't get a full offseason of prep, not the best preparation to go right out of the gate and it very likely led to some of his issues. 

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Or just get a younger bridge and draft a rookie that doesn't have to play right away? It's not about survival it's about a 37 year old being able to physically keep it up. His arm was tired in NO and I think we see that at the second half of the season when father time catches up thowing 30+ times every week. I also think Dalton could have got better play out of that line last year so maybe not killed but definitely worn down faster. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Dalton retires. Let's see how he is doing at the end of this season. His contract is up this year but he still has $967,000 a year hit for 3 more years after that also.

Okay now you are making me think that is why we are hearing the Bruce starting again trash. 

Kidding, but we are about to find out about that tired arm thing. And I am sure you are right about last season and the OL but the ole' can't pick up a stunt was a real thing and it only takes one or two bad ones for the old bones to start hurting. And plus, they don't recover as fast when you are older.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, strato said:

Okay now you are making me think that is why we are hearing the Bruce starting again trash. 

Kidding, but we are about to find out about that tired arm thing. And I am sure you are right about last season and the OL but the ole' can't pick up a stunt was a real thing and it only takes one or two bad ones for the old bones to start hurting. And plus, they don't recover as fast when you are older.

It's kind of expected that Dalton will give out at some point for some reason unfortunately.

Last year was bad but heaps of that bad was also on Young and his playstyle. Dalton has such a better head for the game too. The OGs would have still leaked but the average time to throw was almost 3 seconds and that's plenty for a Dalton. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Waldo said:

It's kind of expected that Dalton will give out at some point for some reason unfortunately.

Last year was bad but heaps of that bad was also on Young and his playstyle. Dalton has such a better head for the game too. The OGs would have still leaked but the average time to throw was almost 3 seconds and that's plenty for a Dalton. 

Hey I watched it too, and you saw what I saw. It wasn't ideal. 

But I saw what you saw on the other side of too, which was... that didn't happen every snap by any means and things got somewhat better and an NFL QB should be able to function at some level despite the issues. 

• Pie 1

26 minutes ago, strato said:

That right there is what should have discouraged a massive asset sink  for the top pick. Along with, if people see a guy as can't miss, you cannot trade into that pick they won't give it up. Seeing that a team wants to trade out of that slot should tell you something too. 

Darnold was being cast aside for Mayfield. Goes to the impatience claims too, but at the same time Mayfield didn't get a full offseason of prep, not the best preparation to go right out of the gate and it very likely led to some of his issues. 

I agree.  In fact, I would go all the way back to Rhule's first year to see the bad decisions that turned us into one of the worst teams in the league.  Cutting Cam even when he only had a year on his contract, then signing Mr Backup Teddy Bridgewater, then running him off.  Then trading for Darnold, then Mayfield and watching both of them go away.  Then the Young draft pick fiasco.  

Fwiw, I wish we really did know who was responsible for the decision making.  Who decided to make the trade, and who decided to pick Young.  Was it Tepper, was it Fitterer, was it Reich, was it some combination of the three?  Was it someone else?  I mean had they made the trade and they picked Stroud, well all might have been largely forgiven.   But it seems to me that even if Tepper didn't make the decisions, at the least he is very very bad at making personnel decisions.  

Then again, I guess it doesn't really matter.  Fitterer and Reich are gone and if it was Tepper, the only hope is that he learns his lesson. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

I agree.  In fact, I would go all the way back to Rhule's first year to see the bad decisions that turned us into one of the worst teams in the league.  Cutting Cam even when he only had a year on his contract, then signing Mr Backup Teddy Bridgewater, then running him off.  Then trading for Darnold, then Mayfield and watching both of them go away.  Then the Young draft pick fiasco.  

Fwiw, I wish we really did know who was responsible for the decision making.  Who decided to make the trade, and who decided to pick Young.  Was it Tepper, was it Fitterer, was it Reich, was it some combination of the three?  Was it someone else?  I mean had they made the trade and they picked Stroud, well all might have been largely forgiven.   But it seems to me that even if Tepper didn't make the decisions, at the least he is very very bad at making personnel decisions.  

Then again, I guess it doesn't really matter.  Fitterer and Reich are gone and if it was Tepper, the only hope is that he learns his lesson. 

Well, to what you said about Stroud, no way he would have looked as bad as Young did on last year's team. Which was the typical line from the stans, that would have been no better. BS.

I am not saying he would have lifted the Panthers to Houston's record, it would have likely been a more typical rookie struggle.

But the 'hey Peyton Manning sucked his first year' platitude poo, would have had a ring of authenticity.

7 hours ago, jayboogieman said:

Prepare for the Panthers to take another QB in R1 of the draft.

Gotta keep trying till you get it right. And call me crazy but I think outside of drafting a qb that's a complete outlier...next time we will. 

Edited by CPF4LIFE
  • Pie 1

3 hours ago, Deltek44 said:

You would think the original poster did not just see us lose by 18 to an average team at home. We scored 20pts. Do you realize a team like Wash who was very similar to us before "the QB" has not scored less then 21pts all season. Building around >34 yr old journeyman QBs is a loosing proposition. Find the QB or bust.

I saw it but I didn't think scoring was a problem. I watched the game and didn't come away thinking our quarterback was the reason we lost. I came away from the game thinking if we had a defense we would probably be in contention for the division. Which is why I say let's start building a team and not focusing on going all in on a quarterback every year.