• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Stop the obsession with the QB position

TheMaulClaw

Just now, TheMaulClaw said:

I agree, but we do have influence on the media here and the type of stories they put out, which in turn affect 

Join @stratoin his funny sign contest and post those yard signs. Send them to Person to judge the funniest. Include his face on the sign.

• Pie 1

Gotta keep swinging on a QB, you just don't pay a king's ransom to take a swing.  If you can't fill out the some of the roster with impactful day two picks, then you don't know how to draft. If Cam Ward is there, you don't pass on him. The same can be said for Jalen Milroe.  I'd consider Sanders, Ewers and Beck, but it depends.

Edited by TD alt
  • Pie 5

You would think the original poster did not just see us lose by 18 to an average team at home. We scored 20pts. Do you realize a team like Wash who was very similar to us before "the QB" has not scored less then 21pts all season. Building around >34 yr old journeyman QBs is a loosing proposition. Find the QB or bust.

• Beer 1

We aren't a QB away and we never have been. It's still the most consequential position on the field in this modern league though it just is what it is.

At the same time it's been partly the Panthers impatience and moreso incompetence that has gotten us to this point of just unfathomable misery. And the sad thing is as bad as things are with the roster and what we gave up in the trade it still wouldn't be that bad if we had simply went with established norms in the evaluation process and selected the best prototypical QB with the clear best arm. We can't let that utter stupidity make us scared going forward though. Just draft a good damn QB who checks the needed boxes and most importantly has the necessary phsyical tools in a big mans league.

• Pie 5

1 minute ago, Deltek44 said:

You would think the original poster did not just see us lose by 18 to an average team at home. We scored 20pts. Do you realize a team like Wash who was very similar to us before "the QB" has not scored less then 21pts all season. Building around >34 yr old journeyman QBs is a loosing proposition. Find the QB or bust.

Nobody was building around Dalton. It is just the best option this week, next week, last week, etc.

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, strato said:

Nobody was building around Dalton. It is just the best option this week, next week, last week, etc.

People here are fine with keeping him another 2 years regularly. This year? It's a mercy. Going forward? What he said. 

19 minutes ago, TD alt said:

Gotta keep swinging on a QB, you just don't pay a king's ransom to take a swing.  If you can't fill out the some of the roster with impactful day two picks, then you don't know how to draft. If Cam Ward is there, you don't pass on him. The same can be said for Jalen Milroe.  I'd consider Sanders, Ewers and Beck, but it depends.

I don't know about Milroe at all, but the point I would go for is keep swinging. 

And regardless of the QB whisperer hype, I feel like we are in a much better position to have better results next time we do because of no Fitterer, and a better educated owner that might listen this time.

I feel like we were fine with Reich doing the choosing fwiw. The key is they didn't listen. I realize people will make the claim that he was all in, I'll never buy it.

1 minute ago, Waldo said:

People here are fine with keeping him another 2 years regularly. This year? It's a mercy. Going forward? What he said. 

Bridge. Why is that not acceptable? Unless you can upgrade. 

If you have a better answer that is already in the league then by all means make the deal. 

Just think of how different our outlook would be right now if Andy Dalton was ten years younger. Yeah, we'd still suck but we'd be thing about how close we were to being ready to compete offensively and we just need to focus on building the D. Instead, Dalton is 37 so it's doom and gloom because even though the offense shows some semblance of promise there's no future there to build on at the key position.

• Pie 3

3 hours ago, NorthTryon said:

But, but, but WIlks was more of Fox and Rivera clone! Never mind the players were head over heels for him, we had extra draft capital, that was when we experienced the most success in franchise history, and he was a native son. Now they have their young offensive mind in Canales and nobody can steal him away, which was another bogus reason for not hiring Wilks(What if his OC has a good season and someone steals him). Look at what is happening in Houston and though someone may eventually make Bobby an offer, but for now they are crushing it with a defensive minded head coach and his OC handling the offense. But according to the Huddle and Tepper, that would never work and was a waste of time. Face palm emoticon!

Raiders players were head over heels for Antonio Pierce, too.

• Flames 1

5 hours ago, Growl said:

yeah op is a weird revisionist history . Offensive line is performing at a high level. They have the requisite amount of skill players. No superstars but certainly enough to win. It may have taken offloading some defensive talent to reinforce the offense but you can’t fix everything in one offseason and if you’re going to choose what to invest in in this league you’re always going to pick offense over defense and recent games compared to what the panthers have been since Cam hurt his shoulder are the demonstration of why. 

I mean it’s also an overreaction to the defense playing poorly. They had 7 starters out Sunday. There’s not a team in the league that has the depth to just weather the storm on that. Conversely you’d like a QB that doesn’t throw the ball away late. Andy Dalton has been Andy Dalton (the kind of QB okay the OP is advocating for) and it’s cost the team two games. 

Any thoughts on the first two games?

If you [Morgan & Canales] believe in a QB who will be the next Newton/Manning/Mahomes, when the Panthers pick, you have to pick him. If not pick the next Peppers. Please turn off ESPN/Kiper & without Tepper in the room when you decide. Morgan, please bring in some QB insurance besides Young for 2025. This was a shortcoming of your work in 2024.

49 minutes ago, strato said:

Bridge. Why is that not acceptable? Unless you can upgrade. 

If you have a better answer that is already in the league then by all means make the deal. 

He is 37 this month. He looks great in comparison to Young but does he really look good compared to other bridge QBs in free agency? He has always been a guy with an ugly TD to Int ratio. He should have been the bridge guy the last 2 years but they wasted that by being a bridge to nowhere. How much do you think he really has left, especially when you look at the other potential bridge options next year. He looked good coming out but how long do you think he can even perform throwing 30+ times a game. I'm just praying he finishes the year as a starter. Fields has more yards per game and that's not including the rushing. Fields has 5/1 and Andy is 7/4 TD to ints. Fields is literally a better option lol. It's hard to say because Andy is a precious gift to Panther fans but don't get it twisted. I don't think he has a lot left anyways. 

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Waldo said:

He is 37 this month. He looks great in comparison to Young but does he really look good compared to other bridge QBs in free agency? He has always been a guy with an ugly TD to Int ratio. He should have been the bridge guy the last 2 years but they wasted that by being a bridge to nowhere. How much do you think he really has left, especially when you look at the other potential bridge options next year. He looked good coming out but how long do you think he can even perform throwing 30+ times a game. I'm just praying he finishes the year as a starter. Fields has more yards per game and that's not including the rushing. Fields has 5/1 and Andy is 7/4 TD to ints. Fields is literally a better option lol. It's hard to say because Andy is a precious gift to Panther fans but don't get it twisted. I don't think he has a lot left anyways. 

In no way did I believe he would have survived last season as the starter behind that line. Things are better now. He can ball distribute at the professional level though. I believe I had stated if you have better one by all means. But he isn't broken today. 

Hell I have said even get another Dalton if you go that way and between the two we could make a season.