• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jeremy Fowler: Panthers aren’t eager to trade Diontae Johnson

10 hours ago, Ricky Prickles said:

Why cant we resign him?

First, he might want to sign here and second, why would he resign now instead of in FA when he can get offers from everyone. He’s done well enough already.

Also, for someone who mentioned the franchise tag. It’s something like $30M from what I remember reading in a thread about this before. It’s high enough that he’d be happy to play for it and then be an UFA in 2025. We can’t pay him that much. 

1 minute ago, WhoKnows said:

First, he might want to sign here and second, why would he resign now instead of in FA when he can get offers from everyone. He’s done well enough already.

Also, for someone who mentioned the franchise tag. It’s something like $30M from what I remember reading in a thread about this before. It’s high enough that he’d be happy to play for it and then be an UFA in 2025. We can’t pay him that much. 

what else is he supposed to say when asked?  And he did leave the caveat of saying its out of his hands.  Without us overpaying, which we are prone to do, there is no way he stays here all things considered.

The selling points of the Panthers would be generally, an offensive mindset from the coach. 

A chance to work as the number one and enjoy the focus and the ego stroke of being lead dog. 

And possibly a dollar or two difference in being paid like a number one over a sidekick elsewhere.

That's about all I got right now. 

Things I don't know are how he likes the city, the coaching staff and his teammates, and how he views the near future of the team. Maybe he believes winning is not that far away, maybe he doesn't. 

edit: as far as money, how many of you would be happy with 19 million per vs 20? Some people don't put the absolute value of getting an extra nickel when you are talking about getting more money than you ever imagined possible growing up. 

Edited by strato

The only way he signs with the worst team in the league is if he is in it for money and we pay him the most. If he wants to be on a better team with a better qb so he can win and make even more bank while also getting recognition then he's out of here as soon as he can.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, mrcompletely11 said:

what else is he supposed to say when asked?  And he did leave the caveat of saying its out of his hands.  Without us overpaying, which we are prone to do, there is no way he stays here all things considered.

I’m not optimistic. He’s going to want to get paid. I’m not sure we’ll match it and the allure of playing for a playoff team and getting some big recognition is not something we can offer.

31 minutes ago, rayzor said:

and we don't need to be eager about trading him. if someone asks and they give us the moon, sure. if not...just roll with him. 

I think we need to see his contract demand and interest now. It shouldn’t be hard to see if we’re close. We completely fuged up with Burns. We should have had him extended in 2022 and known exactly what he wanted and how far away we were before we turned down the Rams. We were stupid and didn’t manage it right and got caught in a we don’t want to pay Burns what he wants and now we have to trade him.

We don’t have to be eager but let’s know the scenario well enough so we don’t turn down an ok trade while waiting for the moon and ending up with nothing.

• Pie 1

23 minutes ago, csx said:

I'm not eager to trade him either but reality suggests it needs to be considered.

Especially if starting Bryce Young again is true. What is the point of having him? 

Young can be incomplete or just not target Legette all day long, as he did in the last game he played. Same difference if the guy won't pull the trigger, can't see where he is throwing, etc.

16 hours ago, NAS said:

Anything less than a 1st rounder isn’t worth it 

I doubt anyone is going to give us a first for a guy who is on a one year contract.  But if they do and we don't take it and we don't resign him, then the entire front office should be fired.  

I will add that if we get offered a second and don't take it, then we have to sign him long term.  

1 minute ago, Davidson Deac II said:

I doubt anyone is going to give us a first for a guy who is on a one year contract.  But if they do and we don't take it and we don't resign him, then the entire front office should be fired.  

I will add that if we get offered a second and don't take it, then we have to sign him long term.  

If someone offers even a 2nd you take it and never look back. No way in hell they are getting a 1st for him. It's going to be a 4th at best.

1 minute ago, Jon Snow said:

If someone offers even a 2nd you take it and never look back. No way in hell they are getting a 1st for him. It's going to be a 4th at best.

Someone earlier said that if we can't resign him and he walks, we get a comp pick.  If true (and I am not sure how that works), then we should keep him around till the end of the year if anyone offers only a 4th.