• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Would you trade for Justin Fields?

NAS

5 minutes ago, strato said:

If I had to point to ONE thing, I would say that impatience is why we have had such a miserable run under Tepper. That is the root of all of it, whatever else may be an issue, pales beside that. It drove the bus. 

Canales is my hero right now. Stood up to Tepper and backed it up. Got us out from under the crushing weight of Bryce Young in record time.

I don't think I can overstate how fuging right that was, from where I sit. I'll give him all the time he needs within reason. OJT, fine with me as long as I see him learning and not repeating the same mistakes. 

The only thing I can see at this time that would turn me off is lack of urgency towards fixing the defensive side of things. Like, if they do another top two picks of offense, drafting Qb in 1 and anther WR in the 2nd, poo like that, with no respect paid to the defensive game, I will turn on them in short order.  

Bad hiring way over impatience for me. It's like with Brady. He should have been an assistant to an old hand for a year or 2. That's bad hiring. You can't wait for 3 or 4 years for a guy to hit what he should hit at the end of year 1. That's just bad hiring.

Do we know it was DC and do we know it didn't include something like 'I need him to reset and sit behind a pro for a while'? I love Young being sat but I don’t know how all that actually happened.

He needs to show improvement or I would be happy to see him gone. He wasn't a good hire. He was a Tepper special hire for sure. So was Reich and Rhule. I need to see him adapt the rest of the year. Get away from what he wants to do and do what he needs to do. He hasn't done those things the last 2 weeks and that's not a good sign to me.

19 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I think it's what fans, media and possibly Tepper thought he was because other qbs he was around had good seasons and assumed he was here to fix Bryce. Nevermind that he wasn't their qb coach during their turnaround. The only time he had a direct effect on an offense is in Tampa as an OC for 1 season. Somehow that translates in a qb whisperer. How, I do not know.

I agree, I never got the QB whisper thing. What I think he does is design a good system to help a capable QB (btw, Bryce is not a capable QB) do well. And that’s what we’ve seen with Andy so far. I like Canales so far and I’ll think he’ll be here for a long time. We just need to get a good young QB that he can work with. 

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I think it's what fans, media and possibly Tepper thought he was because other qbs he was around had good seasons and assumed he was here to fix Bryce. Nevermind that he wasn't their qb coach during their turnaround. The only time he had a direct effect on an offense is in Tampa as an OC for 1 season. Somehow that translates in a qb whisperer. How, I do not know.

Whisperer is agent and media hype/catchphrase driven. I don't see any trendy shortcuts being promoted. Miracle cures and that stuff. 

I would say the real fallacy is when people blamed him for not being able to 'fix' Bryce Young and declare him a charlatan for not turning water into wine.

The fallacy being that Young could be fixed and framing that as the sole mission.

As far as I am concerned he fixed Bryce because Bryce is no longer a problem. He is solved. Case closed in Carolina, I hope. Better be. He has us pointed in the right direction. 

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Bad hiring way over impatience for me. It's like with Brady. He should have been an assistant to an old hand for a year or 2. That's bad hiring. You can't wait for 3 or 4 years for a guy to hit what he should hit at the end of year 1. That's just bad hiring.

Do we know it was DC and do we know it didn't include something like 'I need him to reset and sit behind a pro for a while'? I love Young being sat but I don’t know how all that actually happened.

He needs to show improvement or I would be happy to see him gone. He wasn't a good hire. He was a Tepper special hire for sure. So was Reich and Rhule. I need to see him adapt the rest of the year. Get away from what he wants to do and do what he needs to do. He hasn't done those things the last 2 weeks and that's not a good sign to me.

Apparently the only thing we agree on is Bryce sucks. I am putting the Brady hire on Rhule. The pushing for the QB on an annual basis is total impatience. The impulsiveness of it, all that was driven by Tepper. IMO.

16 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I believe he was Seattle’s QB Coach during Geno’s comeback year in 2022. He was the passing game coordinator the years prior. People are shying away from his ability to help QBs because he can’t help Bryce so quickly. Maybe Bryce just can’t be helped? 

No, it's because he's had little to no actual experience at turning a qb around. It more attributing his contributions to something that he really had little to no impact on. 2 qbs he spent 1 year each with doesn't make him a qb whisper. Fans created that myth because they thought he would have the same impact with Young. It doesn't work that way. To be a "whisper" it would take many more years of work that he just doesn't have. So no, he's not some qb whisper and I wish that myth would die. 

7 minutes ago, strato said:

Apparently the only thing we agree on is Bryce sucks. I am putting the Brady hire on Rhule. The pushing for the QB on an annual basis is total impatience. The impulsiveness of it, all that was driven by Tepper. IMO.

Well when you had Rhule and Hurney feeding him the dribble that we were one player away from being able to compete and the first player on that list was Teddy Bridgewater. 

Tepper is gullible as fug, he falls for this dumb poo, hook, line, and sinker. 

Its the same way we got Bust Young, Fitt convinced him he was the 2nd coming of Wuss Wilson.

The team should be a contender at this point but Tepper picked all the wrong guys to build the team, including himself and the wife.  

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

Well when you had Rhule and Hurney feeding him the dribble that we were one player away from being able to compete and the first player on that list was Teddy Bridgewater. 

Tepper is gullible as fug, he falls for this dumb poo, hook, line, and sinker. 

Its the same way we got Bust Young, Fitt convinced him he was the 2nd coming of Wuss Wilson.

The team should be a contender at this point but Tepper picked all the wrong guys to build the team, including himself and the wife.  

I was posting in a reply to you elsewhere that it is hard to see who is driving things. There is a constant in that annual quarterback derby they ran here.

Yearly disposable QBs are comparable to a child that gets a shiny new  toy and gets tired of it. 

Edited by strato

I don't know why there is so much hate for Canales. He's got the offense moving. We were the worst team in the NFL last year. We addressed the offense and have some quality talent. 

If we get a defense we'd be winning games.

Whether you believe he's a QB whisperer or not is strictly a matter of opinion. Many of you want to point to other factors as to his success with QBs. I personally believe he helped Geno and Baker to fix parts of their game. Because he can't fix Young, I don't think anyone can, doesn't mean he doesn't know what he's doing. 

• Pie 1

57 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

In Fields 1st season he had 7 TDs and 11 ints with a QB rating of 73.2 and Howell was 21 and 21 which is 3x as many TDS but double the Ints with a QB rating of 78.9. Not to mention Howell almost had as many passing yards in 2023 (3946) than Fields had in 2 full seasons as a starter (4112) . 

While I agree 21 ints is excessive it doesn't mean a first year starter can't fix those issues. PEYTON MANNING had 28 ints in his first season as an NFL QB. 

Howell isn't as mobile but isn't a statue either.  We don't need a running QB we need a QB that can make the throws and guide a team.  IMO more of a Canales QB than Fields. 

If Daniels didn't fall into the Commanders lap than Howell is probably still their QB. 

Fields is going be benched for Wilson this weekend. It tells me Pittsburgh isn't happy with his performance.  Lost QB job in Chicago and demoted in Pittsburgh. 

I'd rather give Howell a look before Fields. 

I think we have to wait and see....I mean, one could argue....

Tomlin to an extend has a Russell Wilson issue of sorts regardless that needs sorting out.   Is he unhappy with Fields?  Maybe.  Maybe he think Fields is actually the guy in terms of who they have on the roster.  I know he needs to resolve his QB situation now that Wilson is healthy.  You know the guy, the guy that cosplays as an active player on gamedays even when he isn't.   You know Mr. Unlimited is in that locker room doing all his annoying things presenting as THE dude who just happens to be hurt. 

For all we know, Tomlin could just be giving Wilson one game and pending he doesn't wow vs game back vs a decent Jets D in prime time.....  he can say, I think we go with Fields and tell Wilson he can find a trade location if he is unhappy being the backup when healthy. 

3 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I don't know why there is so much hate for Canales. He's got the offense moving. We were the worst team in the NFL last year. We addressed the offense and have some quality talent. 

Whether you believe he's a QB whisperer or not is strictly a matter of opinion. Many of you want to point to other factors as to his success with QBs. I personally believe he helped Geno and Baker to fix parts of their game. Because he can't fix Young, I don't think anyone can, doesn't mean he doesn't know what he's doing. 

The offense could have moved last year as well if Tepper would have allowed the benching of Young instead of throwing a tantrum and firing Reich.

The best thing Canales has done is sit Bryce on the bench. 

Any OC worth his check could get this offense to score a few points with this OL and a serviceable QB.

Hell we seen Frank make Bryce look better than anything he has shown with Canales. 

Im not ready to say he is anything more than an average NFL HC. 

• Pie 1

20 minutes ago, strato said:

Tepper hired Rhule. Hurney gave his blessing. Then he let Rhule run the place like it was a school program...even though Hurney knew that is not what the NFL is about. It is not uncommon for new HCs with to have old hands pushed on them for a year or 2. They were all bad hires done poorly. 

Also the dynamics of Tepper and Rhule are interesting. Rhule wasn't equipped to handle the situation and Tepper had no idea what he was doing. I think they both thought that was how the NFL worked lol. That's not impulsiveness but incompetence. Rhule needed scapegoats to keep his show going. It was Brady, the QBs and anyone else he could throw at Tepepr's feet. That isn't just about Tepper and it's not as simple as I think your making it out to be. 

12 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Hate?

5 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

Im not ready to say he is anything more than an average NFL HC. 

Considering the state of this franchise he's doing well. He's building a culture with what he has. I don't think anyone is going to anoint him the next John Harbaugh. He needs at least 2 more years to show he can turn us around. 

25 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

No, it's because he's had little to no actual experience at turning a qb around. It more attributing his contributions to something that he really had little to no impact on. 2 qbs he spent 1 year each with doesn't make him a qb whisper. Fans created that myth because they thought he would have the same impact with Young. It doesn't work that way. To be a "whisper" it would take many more years of work that he just doesn't have. So no, he's not some qb whisper and I wish that myth would die. 

Oh I agree he is still pretty raw, but you said he wasn’t the QB coach of either QB. I was just saying that was his job title when Geno signed with Seattle.