• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Would you trade for Justin Fields?

NAS

Forgot to quote you Waldo, but anyhow:

Getting a new QB every year and not being happy and getting another one is impulsive. Trading everything with no real plan as to who you are talking, impulsive. Taking Bryce wasn't impulsive, just grossly incompetent.  

I wasn't in favor of Rhule at all. Bad decision. I agree with that. I am not really going to change my view of what is impulsive and impatient and that Tepper was that. Hopefully he has learned some patience. 

Edited by strato

Just now, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Considering the state of this franchise he's doing well. He's building a culture with what he has. I don't think anyone is going to anoint him the next John Harbaugh. He needs at least 2 more years to show he can turn us around. 

I dont have any problem with keeping him at this point, he has shown he is at least capable.

As far as the turnaround that is more on Dan Morgan, he has to supply this team with talent and prove he is not going to waste a ton of assets on a bunch of nothing. 

1 minute ago, strato said:

Getting a new QB every year and not being happy and getting another one is impulsive. Trading everything with no real plan as to who you are talking, impulsive. Taking Bryce wasn't impulsive, just grossly incompetent.  

I wasn't in favor of Rhule at all. Bad decision. I agree with that. I am not really going to change my view of what is impulsive and impatient and that Tepper was that. Hopefully he has learned some patience. 

I still can't believe we hired a poor man's Dabo Sweeney....and were surprised it went bad.  The actual Dabo would be a trainwreck in the NFL.   Tepper's first big move, showed he should be involved in zero moves. 

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Oh I agree he is still pretty raw, but you said he wasn’t the QB coach of either QB. I was just saying that was his job title when Geno signed with Seattle. 

True and I had missed that. I still say that's not enough to call him some qb guru. I call it coincidence if anything. And let me reiterate that's it's not because he didn't "fix" Young. Young is what he is. No one can fix that.

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Pie 1

5 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

True and I had missed that. I still say that's not enough to call him some qb guru. I call it coincidence if anything. 

I've always called it cherry picked logic that was applied.  The QB coach was responsible here.  The OC was responsible there.  Just whatever happened to be Canales' job. 

Frank Reich did more with Bryce and with less talent than Canales.  Maybe he is the QB guru lol. 

I mean, I'm fine with Canales to an extent.  He is what he is.  A offensive Pete Carroll variant.  Which IMO is fine for a leadership role. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, CRA said:

I've always called it cherry picked logic that was applied.  The QB coach was responsible here.  The OC was responsible there.  Just whatever happened to be Canales' job. 

Frank Reich did more with Bryce and with less talent than Canales.  Maybe he is the QB guru lol. 

I mean, I'm fine with Canales to an extent.  He is what he is.  A Pete Carroll variant.  Which IMO is fine for a leadership role. 

Your not doing it right. 

You are supposed to be hanging banners in support of Canales for doing the same poo Frank could have done last season with Dalton.

I dont have a problem with Canales either, but lets not act like he has done some miraculous turnaround. Reich didnt want to play Bryce last season either, but Tepper wasnt going for that. 

I think the team last season with Dalton could have won more games than we will win this season. 

11 minutes ago, CRA said:

I mean, I'm fine with Canales to an extent.  He is what he is.  A Pete Carroll variant.  Which IMO is fine for a leadership role. 

I do not know what Canales will ever be if anything.  I'm not counting on a young Vince Lombardi here. Hell I settle for him being simply creative enough to but a good offense for now. I still think he's in over his head with this team and will probably flame out as fast a Rhule did. The only thing that will save him with Tepper is building a team to win some games. If he doesn't do that fast enough it's next man, or woman (Tepper will try anything) up. 

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Beer 1

5 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I do not know what Canales will ever be if anything.  I'm not counting in a young Vince Lombardi here. Hell I settle for him being simply creative enough to but a good offense for now. I still think he's in over his head with this team and will probably flame out as fast a Rhule did. The only thing that will save him with Tepper is building a team to win some games. If he doesn't do that fast enough it's next man, or woman (Tepper will try anything) up. 

yeah, I do think things are about to go south.  Whatever south would be for 1 win team.  The more and more film that's put out there....the tougher it will get.   I mean, we just got smashed pretty easily by both the Bears and Falcons for crying out loud.  Those aren't good football teams.  Imagine when we actually see one of those. 

• Beer 2

Just now, CRA said:

yeah, I do think things are about to go south.  Whatever south would be for 1 win team.  The more and more film that's put out there....the tougher it will get.   I mean, we just got smashed pretty easily by both the Bears and Falcons for crying out loud.  Those aren't good football teams.  Imagine when we actually see one of those. 

It will only get uglier from here.

• Beer 1

17 minutes ago, strato said:

Forgot to quote you Waldo, but anyhow:

The 3 years where they did the QB hoping was when the HC was running the team like a school program. Again are you sure that was purely Tepper or the situation he created by hiring Rhule? I'm not. 

All of his hires are poor. Keeping Hurney to hire Rhule. Friing Hurney and hiring Fritterer who really was noting more than likeable at his old job. Hiring an old coach when he was heading into retirement and the entire hiring process that year was messy and ill conceived. Firing Friterer and promoting his assistant and then hiring his friend as the HC who has 1 meaningful good year as an OC with a help from a consultant and freaking Jim Caldwell, who also didn't get an interview anywhere else this offseason. That is all terrible hiring and not impatience. Waiting doesn't fix or help any of that. Hiring better and then managing them better sure would.

Tepper can absolutely be impatient but his poor hiring and management practices are way more concerning and consistent. 

• Beer 1

Just now, Waldo said:

The 3 years where they did the QB hoping was when the HC was running the team like a school program. Again are you sure that was purely Tepper or the situation he created by hiring Rhule? I'm not. 

All of his hires are poor. Keeping Hurney to hire Rhule. Friing Hurney and hiring Fritterer who really was noting more than likeable at his old job. Hiring an old coach when he was heading into retirement and the entire hiring process that year was messy and ill conceived. Firing Friterer and promoting his assistant and then hiring his friend as the HC who has 1 meaningful good year as an OC with a help from a consultant and freaking Jim Caldwell, who also didn't get an interview anywhere else this offseason. That is all terrible hiring and not impatience. Waiting doesn't fix or help any of that. Hiring better and then managing them better sure would.

Tepper can absolutely be impatient but his poor hiring and management practices are way more concerning and consistent. 

Yeah, as sure as a guess can be that Tepper was driving the QB carousel. 

Just now, strato said:

Yeah, as sure as a guess can be that Tepper was driving the QB carousel. 

Hurney taught him he needed a QB. He knew he didn't have one in 2019. Still Rhule was selling Tepper everything and anything he could get him to buy. That's a bad mix when the owner has no experience or knowledge of how any of that works and his new HC doesn't either. He had a hand in it  because he is a meddler but Rhule was given overlord status here and he didn't want a rookie who he obviously didn't know how to coach up. It's complicated and still not 100% known as far as I know. 

1 minute ago, Waldo said:

Hurney taught him he needed a QB. He knew he didn't have one in 2019. Still Rhule was selling Tepper everything and anything he could get him to buy. That's a bad mix when the owner has no experience or knowledge of how any of that works and his new HC doesn't either. He had a hand in it  because he is a meddler but Rhule was given overlord status here and he didn't want a rookie who he obviously didn't know how to coach up. It's complicated and still not 100% known as far as I know. 

Man, it is the classic boss driven edict type poo as far I am concerned. Number one goal is.... QB always to so many people, unless you have one. Mr Billionaire wanted his star, and he was going to get him no matter what. 

You can split hairs with the Hurney or the Fitterer motivations and alleged advice but there isn't a doubt in my mind who was driving that bus. 

Hey look. I am argued out after a year and a half of this Bryce Young poo. Believe what you want I would like to say something without it turning into anything other than an opinion. 

I said from the jump that I knew Canales wasn't ready but I was going to give him the year. Morgan gets the same rope. 

So I am just not joining in any lynch mob mentality, I want to see the positive and the potential. It requires some patience.

• Beer 1