• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Would you trade for Justin Fields?

NAS

It is probably going to be Canales in charge of a QB quest, to whatever degree they take that to. 

If he is motivated to do Fields out of however many options there are then so be it. Probably though, if Fields keeps this up he won't be made available. Talking about 11 or 12 wins and some real nice TD to INT numbers.

Edited by strato

He's a FA after the season so no, I wouldn't trade for him and I don't see the Steelers trading him anyways unless he asks for one with Russ taking over.  The rest of this season needs Dalton peppering Legette with targets, need to help build him up as much as possible this year.  

I'm not against bringing him as a Free Agent on hopefully a 1 year deal and trading Bryce for literally whatever is offered for him.  

Then draft T-Mac with our First as both him and Legette are guys who are big bodied who can catch short passes over the middle and run with it as well as good deep ball guys, particularly T-Mac with his height and leaping ability.

That would pair really well with someone like Fields who might not be the most accurate or great at going through progressions, as it would be a lot of quick easy passes or shots down field instead of precision timed route trees which he can struggle with.

Pair that passing game with the dynamic Brooks as well as Fields rushing threat, and that could be a dangerous offense from day 1.  And if Fields bombs and it doesn't work, we'll still likely end up with a Top 10 pick and can draft the QB of the future in a strong QB draft.

7 hours ago, strato said:

That was just a quick find out what they had to say. Great is subjective. I don't how many great QBs Canales was really around. Grain of salt there.

The takeaway for me is he has a 'system', a plan, some professional knowledge; somewhat of a track record. And he may not be the best, or have the pedigree, but everybody has to start somewhere. 

I honestly think he might be better suited for the situation we're in than any of the other employees in recent years. That come to mind. At a serious QB crossroads, he is a QB guy. I'm good with it.

There are certainly some personal things that are question marks.

And back to his job, there is a lot on his plate. That is a high pressure job without adding QB tutor to it. One year as OC. 

To me, giving him a season or even two to get this poo really tight to where progress shows up, probably the best shot we will get for a little while. I'd like to see some stability. 

So I go easy on him. I admit it.

It also good that Smith and Baker like DC. Still I just found that funny.

My issue is with his history and what he brings on game day it might be 5 years instead of 2. That was what DC is and a long wait to see if another project developes is a hard sell given the recent history here. That was the rub with him as the hire for me. He is really raw and patience is difficult to scrape together without seeing improvement sooner than later. It is the not for long leauge. Hiring the right guy at the wrong time would be a classic Tepper move.

• Beer 2

6 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

He's a FA after the season so no, I wouldn't trade for him and I don't see the Steelers trading him anyways unless he asks for one with Russ taking over.  The rest of this season needs Dalton peppering Legette with targets, need to help build him up as much as possible this year.  

I'm not against bringing him as a Free Agent on hopefully a 1 year deal and trading Bryce for literally whatever is offered for him.  

Then draft T-Mac with our First as both him and Legette are guys who are big bodied who can catch short passes over the middle and run with it as well as good deep ball guys, particularly T-Mac with his height and leaping ability.

That would pair really well with someone like Fields who might not be the most accurate or great at going through progressions, as it would be a lot of quick easy passes or shots down field instead of precision timed route trees which he can struggle with.

Pair that passing game with the dynamic Brooks as well as Fields rushing threat, and that could be a dangerous offense from day 1.  And if Fields bombs and it doesn't work, we'll still likely end up with a Top 10 pick and can draft the QB of the future in a strong QB draft.

You love some TMac! I think we do defense with our first, but I’d be good with TMac. I haven’t seen a WR his size move like that in a while.  

7 hours ago, CRA said:

We won’t trade for Fields…

because we could of just drafted him at 8 when he fell in our laps.  Kept all our star players.   Kept all 2 billion draft picks we spent on random QBs. 

It’s not like Tepper doesn’t know that.  Doubt he wants to look any dumber than he already does. 

Tepper can also say he didn't want Deshaun Watson in light of the Cleveland dumpster fire while he's at it.

10 hours ago, CRA said:

It’s stupid to bench him for Wilson.  They are winning with Fields and room exists for growth.  Plus, unlike Wilson, teammates always dig Fields. 

Wilson is annoying and on the decline.  

The difference is that it's clear that Fields is a big limiting factor in their offense. It's blatant when you watch the games. He's just limited in his capabilities as a passer. Russell shouldn't have those.....if he isn't washed up.

7 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

If we were to trade for a QB I'd rather trade for Sam Howell. He would be much better in Canales's offense than Fields. Fields didn't pan out in Chicago and doesn't look much better in Pittsburgh. 

Howell did OK on a terrible Commanders team. 

Fields takes care of the ball a lot more than Howell, however. We would need to know if Canales can break him of his Winston-esque gunslinger mentality. If we can't, that's going to be a problem 

Just now, kungfoodude said:

The difference is that it's clear that Fields is a big limiting factor in their offense. It's blatant when you watch the games. He's just limited in his capabilities as a passer. Russell shouldn't have those.....if he isn't washed up.

Fields is however one of the most dangerous runners in the NFL from the QB spot.  So if you play him, you have to accept that aspect is there to counter and make up for his incomplete pass game. 

I still see no reason the Steelers would go to Wilson.  Teammates love Fields.  Wilson is tough to take.  Steelers are winning.  Style points don't count.  And Fields while inconsistent, can be a good passer in windows. 

of course, I say all that as a firm believer Wilson is washed... 

1 minute ago, CRA said:

Fields is however one of the most dangerous runners in the NFL from the QB spot.  So if you play him, you have to accept that aspect is there to counter and make up for his incomplete pass game. 

I still see no reason the Steelers would go to Wilson.  Teammates love Fields.  Wilson is tough to take.  Steelers are winning.  Style points don't count.  And Fields while inconsistent, can be a good passer in windows. 

of course, I say all that as a firm believer Wilson is washed... 

Teammates like winning and being competitive.

There is zero question at all that Russell Wilson is a better QB at his best than Justin Fields. Fields peak is closer to Russell's lower/mid level of QB play.

The question is, if Wilson still has any left in the tank after Denver.