• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Would you trade for Justin Fields?

NAS

16 minutes ago, CRA said:

It’s stupid to bench him for Wilson.  They are winning with Fields and room exists for growth.  Plus, unlike Wilson, teammates always dig Fields. 

Wilson is annoying and on the decline.  

We would have been ecstatic if Bryce had these stats. Just sayin

Edited by NAS
  • Pie 1

2 hours ago, strato said:

“When it comes to his relationship with the quarterback, with Bryce, he’s a guy who has been around a lot of great quarterbacks,” Smith said, via Mike Kaye of The Charlotte Observer. “And he knows how to coach them. He’s coached some really good quarterbacks, and he has a system, he has a style, he knows exactly what he wants done and how he wants it done. And he’s going to get Bryce to do that through repetition, through practice, through meeting time and classroom and the film room.”

------------------

In his first year with the Buccaneers under the stewardship of Canales, Mayfield was selected to the Pro Bowl for the first time in his career after throwing for 4,044 yards, 28 touchdowns, and 10 interceptions. 

-------------------

Okay so maybe he isn't Bill Walsh or Mike Holmgren Brian Billick or whoever.... these are not exactly condemnations.

Wilson in his 7th year when he became the QB coach? Geno Smith himself? Baker for 1 year who also had 3700 yards his rookie year? That lots of great QBs? I guess Hasselback was there when he become the offensive quality control coach but given he was the USC assistant strength coach the year before I assume he was doing a lot of on the job learning. 

Geno is funny. 

3 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I mean, I would be okay with Fields at the right price. You have to understand it is going to be a downgrade from Dalton in terms of the passing game. He would add an element of explosiveness to our already pretty decent running attack but he would aid in stunting the growth of our younger WR's, as he is a bottom quarter of the league passer. 

Just understand that choosing him as a future starter would be a pretty dramatic offensive limitation in the passing game. He is not likely to ever ascend above more than a slightly below average NFL passer at his peak.

I mean, still way better than Bryce but....

This right here was exactly my thoughts but just stated much better than I would have. Very well thought out response

Fields in Pittsburgh is a prime example of what happens when good coaching is applied to mid-ass players.  Makes them look good.

Never liked Fields, never thought he was good, still don’t.  I’d rather burn my draft picks on long snappers than trade for another running back with a spiral.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Ill preface this with saying I have watched very little of the Steelers, but they are 4-2 and his stats seem great. Why exactly would they bench him for Wilson, who finally was exposed last year in Denver for the fraud he is? What am I missing.

And yes, I would be OK with throwing a late pick for Fields assuming we move Bryce for a 3rd. Hell, turn him into poor mans Cam Newton and run him into the ground.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

46 minutes ago, NAS said:

We would have been ecstatic if Bryce had these stats. Just sayin

Wow, his stats are better than I thought they were. God that is night and day compared to Bryce. Fields is a starter in the NFL on many teams and an absolutely awesome best in the league backup QB without a doubt. If he could up that passing per game average just a little more I think he would be very legit. I would trade for him depending on what they want for him.

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

Wilson in his 7th year when he became the QB coach? Geno Smith himself? Baker for 1 year who also had 3700 yards his rookie year? That lots of great QBs? I guess Hasselback was there when he become the offensive quality control coach but given he was the USC assistant strength coach the year before I assume he was doing a lot of on the job learning. 

Geno is funny. 

That was just a quick find out what they had to say. Great is subjective. I don't how many great QBs Canales was really around. Grain of salt there.

The takeaway for me is he has a 'system', a plan, some professional knowledge; somewhat of a track record. And he may not be the best, or have the pedigree, but everybody has to start somewhere. 

I honestly think he might be better suited for the situation we're in than any of the other employees in recent years. That come to mind. At a serious QB crossroads, he is a QB guy. I'm good with it.

There are certainly some personal things that are question marks.

And back to his job, there is a lot on his plate. That is a high pressure job without adding QB tutor to it. One year as OC. 

To me, giving him a season or even two to get this poo really tight to where progress shows up, probably the best shot we will get for a little while. I'd like to see some stability. 

So I go easy on him. I admit it.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

He is 25 years old and I think he has had a different OC every year. I don’t think he has hit his ceiling yet. 

That's what I used to say about Darnold. I think if you go through enough of that and last long enough, you have a jump on things coming into a situation. Because you've been exposed to so much. 

I haven't watched him that close, just seen him play kind of shitty or just okay, a couple of times with the Bears. That was my impression. Might watch a Steelers game. I know DJ liked him, which was good sign. 

Edited by strato

We won’t trade for Fields…

because we could of just drafted him at 8 when he fell in our laps.  Kept all our star players.   Kept all 2 billion draft picks we spent on random QBs. 

It’s not like Tepper doesn’t know that.  Doubt he wants to look any dumber than he already does.