• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

TheSpecialJuan

21 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's why I've always thought that having arbitrary minimum standards is dumb. That's how you miss out on a player like Smitty. 

Bryce wasn't a terrible pick just because of his height. It was the whole picture. He was short. He was slight built. He had a subpar NFL arm. It was hard to find plays in his college tape that translated to the NFL. There's no way you trade up to #1 overall to draft a player with so many glaring red flags in his game.

It's also how you miss out on a franchise LT in Rashawn Slater. I'll never forget Rhule saying he would have to be a guard because his arms were to short after he had just been named an all pro LT in his rookie season.

I freely admit Stroud wasn't my first choice, it was AR, but only with the right coach (Harbaugh IMO) which wasn't Frank. That left Stroud as my choice by default. Bryce's actions at the combine took him off my board immediately. 

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

It's also how you miss out on a franchise LT in Rashawn Slater. I'll never forget Rhule saying he would have to be a guard because his arms were to short after he had just been named an all pro LT in his rookie season.

I freely admit Stroud wasn't my first choice, it was AR, but only with the right coach (Harbaugh IMO) which wasn't Frank. That left Stroud as my choice by default. Bryce's actions at the combine took him off my board immediately. 

I liked AR too. I had AR and Stroud as my 1A and 1B and said my pick would ultimately come down to the interview process. There's only so much you can glean from college game play. The interview process is largely where you determine if a guy can handle running an NFL offense. 

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I liked AR too. I had AR and Stroud as my 1A and 1B and said my pick would ultimately come down to the interview process. There's only so much you can glean from college game play. The interview process is largely where you determine if a guy can handle running an NFL offense. 

Stroud has the safest best with a high ceiling as well. AR was a swing for the fences gamble. Stroud was the clear choice after what we gave up for the pick. We couldn’t afford to miss like we did. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Stroud has the safest best with a high ceiling as well. AR was a swing for the fences gamble. Stroud was the clear choice after what we gave up for the pick. We couldn’t afford to miss like we did. 

Yeah, I said at the time that Stroud was the safest pick and probably the pick you had to make given the risk we were taking on with the trade. Swinging for the fences is one thing. But mortgaging the franchise to swing for the fences is an entirely different matter. 

Then we mortgaged the franchise to draft the lowest ceiling guy. LOL

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Not too surprising his college major was psychology. He knew exactly how to play Tepper to persuade him to get taken 1st and get 30m bucks. 

Just now, SmokinwithWilly said:

Not too surprising his college major was psychology. He knew exactly how to play Tepper to persuade him to get taken 1st and get 30m bucks. 

To be fair, I don't fault Bryce in the least. You job as a draft prospect is to maximize your draft stock, period. IMO there was plenty of information available to not draft that guy #1 overall. I just still can't wrap my brain around how virtually all of the "analysts" in the media convinced themselves this guy was the clear QB1. 

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

To be fair, I don't fault Bryce in the least. You job as a draft prospect is to maximize your draft stock, period. IMO there was plenty of information available to not draft that guy #1 overall. I just still can't wrap my brain around how virtually all of the "analysts" in the media convinced themselves this guy was the clear QB1. 

The pre draft process is easily the best game he's ever played. 

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I mean his film was pretty damn solid. It was clear from jump he had the best film of all the QBs.

The film unfortunately can sometimes fool you. The size is probably the thing we overlooked. I knew he was small, but when you actually look at him on the field he looks like a kid playing against grown men.

It is what it is we missed on the pick. I can't really go all in on Tepper because I was screaming Bryce as well.

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

That is how the game is played. I put on the team to see through it because we all knew what was happening. Why didn't they? Rhetorical question....

21 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

I watched Stroud video and some analysis and he clearly was NFL caliber arm and mechanics. It was all there. and Refined. What got me doubting was the S2 slander. I would have accepted Richardson at that point.

It was always anybody but Bryce after watching him throw at his pro day and his lack of any NFL grade above average athleticism, arm, foot speed, no redeeming physical skills whatsoever.

My whole thing was, well, maybe, I guess, if you insist, but he makes it way harder than necessary. Why do that with such narrow margins? You just don't do that at the top pick. Or the top ten. Highest I could see was like an Aaron Rodgers scenario even though I wouldn't have personally taken him until late day two at the earliest. Don't give two cents for college success, he has to project to the big boy league.

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

I mean his film was pretty damn solid. It was clear from jump he had the best film of all the QBs.

The film unfortunately can sometimes fool you. The size is probably the thing we overlooked. I knew he was small, but when you actually look at him on the field he looks like a kid playing against grown men.

It is what it is we missed on the pick. I can't really go all in on Tepper because I was screaming Bryce as well.

I'm not sure what film you were watching but he had the worst mechanics of any of the top 4 QBs. The arm strength and happy feet have always been a problem. 

9 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I figured when he showed up in street clothes with the backpack it was game over.  He looked like a middle schooler out there next to the other 3 guys.  Of course, we were completely sold on him lol.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

If you go right now and find film of his pro day and it fools you, you should stop telling us about QBs. Not just you, I don't mean it personally. Anyone that doesn't see it. I am no expert at all and it just stood out. I am betting you didn't really look hard at that.

6 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

It looked good in the college game. It was hard to find plays that translated to the pro game.

4 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

I figured when he showed up in street clothes with the backpack it was game over.  He looked like a middle schooler out there next to the other 3 guys.  Of course, we were completely sold on him lol.

It seemed to obvious to me that he was hiding the fact that he'd been hitting the buffet to step on that scale as heavy as he possibly could. 

• Beer 1