• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

TheSpecialJuan

Just now, strato said:

That's pretty much what I imagined. I don't have the feeling that they were behind Bryce Young for instance. 

I refer back to the comments about the coaching staff meeting with the scouts to set the traits they are looking for in what they plan to run, and get people on the same page.

Which I don't remember hearing anyone articulate before. Not that it shouldn't be a normal part of the process, maybe no one bothered to point it out to the civillians.

They meet with area scouts and discuss their players that they have scouted and discuss how they ranked them and what it was based on. They do that for probably as many as 30 or 40 players per position depending on their needs. With QBs it may be only the top 10 and so on. Then the coaches decided how they want to rank them according to their fit. That's when things can go off the rails.

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

They meet with area scouts and discuss their players that they have scouted and discuss how they ranked them and what it was based on. They do that for probably as many as 30 or 40 players per position depending on their needs. With QBs it may be only the top 10 and so on. Then the coaches decided how they want to rank them according to their fit. That's when things can go off the rails.

yeah that is how I would think it would be. Which informs my thinking that they really probably aren't the big issue with bad talent decisions. Like, replace them all.... what would that really do? 

You are gonna have under and over achievers just like any other group. 

Regarding the bad fits, bad evaluations, I would just assume or infer that that is as much a product of different standards or whatever, between different coaches. Systems. Philosophies. And changing these people out all the time leads to poo being out of synch. 

7 minutes ago, strato said:

yeah that is how I would think it would be. Which informs my thinking that they really probably aren't the big issue with bad talent decisions. Like, replace them all.... what would that really do? 

You are gonna have under and over achievers just like any other group. 

Regarding the bad fits, bad evaluations, I would just assume or infer that that is as much a product of different standards or whatever, between different coaches. Systems. Philosophies. And changing these people out all the time leads to poo being out of synch. 

It's a little different with each team but from what I've gathered it been the Panthers SOP for a long time now. Scouts are tasked to look for players that fit what the team wants in that player. It's not necessarily find the best CB because thats subjective. It's rather l9ok for the best CB that can do X or is a certain height or arm length or some other requirement and then rank those guys.  It's different for every team.

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Jon Snow said:

It's a little different with each team but from what I've gathered it been the Panthers SOP for a long time now. Scouts are tasked to look for players that fit what the team wants in that player. It's not necessarily find the best CB because thats subjective. It's rather l9ok for the best CB that can do X or is a certain height or arm length or some other requirement and then rank those guys.  It's different for every team.

I'd take drafting players that may actually succeed in the NFL sooner rather than later. 

21 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

I'd take drafting players that may actually succeed in the NFL sooner rather than later. 

Well you see there's no exact science to predict success in the nfl. It takes a lot of luck in that category. Some you can tell fit the profile but that doesn't guarantee you anything. Teams are trying anything to improve their odds of success. You seen all the analytics and measuring they do on these players. It's still a crap shoot. 

Edited by Jon Snow

I know it's not an exact science but drafting a 6'5" WR because your QB throws high or ignoring an all pro talent tackle because his arms are 3/4" shorter than ideal isn't smart practice though. We've been obsessed with analytics the past few years and we've ended up with some of the worst drafts in franchise history. Maybe it's time they look at guys that actually have sustained success in college instead of one year wonders with high RAS scores. 

12 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

I know it's not an exact science but drafting a 6'5" WR because your QB throws high or ignoring an all pro talent tackle because his arms are 3/4" shorter than ideal isn't smart practice though. We've been obsessed with analytics the past few years and we've ended up with some of the worst drafts in franchise history. Maybe it's time they look at guys that actually have sustained success in college instead of one year wonders with high RAS scores. 

You are preaching to the choir my friend.