• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Terrace Marshall

9 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins Ph.D. said:

I think the biggest take away from this, regardless of who the GM is, someone needs to take a serious look at the Panthers scouting department.  The GMs don't make these decisions in a bubble.  These players are graded and organized according to our scouts. 

After we fired Fitterer we left the scouting department on the draft side basically entirely intact. Didn't understand it then and I definitely don't understand it now looking at the state of this roster. I wanted a full house cleaning. Scorched earth. Sigh....

As for TMJ. At this point you just have to marvel at the Panthers knack for drafting the biggest deadbeats imaginable at the WR position time and time again in the 2nd round. These bums make Brandon Lafell and Ted Ginn look like hall of famers.

• Beer 2

41 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

Sorry, but DG and Hurney were gods at GM compared to Fitterer. Fitterer, IMHO was the worst GM ever. I can’t believe any Panthers fan would back him over a monkey throwing darts at Mel Kiper’s draft board.

Fitterer was arguably worse than Matt Millen for the Lions.  He’s arguably the worst GM in the salary cap era.

• Pie 5

12 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

I said Zavala and Johnson are developing. They’re young. Samuel isn’t a pick to laud either, he never did anything. Butker literally never did anything for us, never taking a regular season snap. 

Either you just don't like Dave Gettleman or you are misremembering things. But to say Curtis Samuel never did anything is ridiculous. He had more yards in 2020 alone than TMJ had in his whole Panthers career. 

• Pie 2

11 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins Ph.D. said:

I think the biggest take away from this, regardless of who the GM is, someone needs to take a serious look at the Panthers scouting department.  The GMs don't make these decisions in a bubble.  These players are graded and organized according to our scouts. 

Not arguing on something I don’t have much insight into, but how much do you think these scouts were involved in the Bryce decision?  I am thinking very little.

In general I think they do actually beat the bushes and attend practices and games looking at players and make their lists…. and then confer with the higher ups and the coaching staff, who probably cull the pool and construct the draft big board and the game day draft decisions.

Is it substantially different than that?

6 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Fitterer was arguably worse than Matt Millen for the Lions.  He’s arguably the worst GM in the salary cap era.

Man Millen is one of the ones I couldn’t think of when people were talking about bad all time GMs. He is for sure on that list. He was a good player thanks about where it stopped. 

Edited by strato

1 hour ago, bandu said:

yeah I agree that for the most part as of here lately the Panthers have not done a  good job with their 2nd round selections

at the same time though in the last several years we have selected some pretty solid contributors with such players like Kawan Short / Donte Jackson /James Bradberry/ along with once again Taylor Moton

...just saying 

It's been many years since those names were on a Panthers uniform. That's not several years and they had nothing to do with the Tepper era.

Edited by Jon Snow

TMJ is an example of what I consider to be ironic about the NFL.  If he were a fifth rounder, he would have been cut year 1.  Instead, based on his salary and draft position, he gets a bigger window.  Coker, for example, is undrafted, and if he had come in and dropped 2 passes in his first game, he'd be gone.  If you are drafting players that have to be developed over a period of 3 years, you need a new GM.

• Beer 1

4 hours ago, JawnyBlaze said:

Yes, that’s already been addressed if you had bothered to keep reading instead of sweaty palmed replying with your “gotcha” post. I don’t think blocking out that Hurney somehow got a second run means “I don’t know what I’m talking about”. A lot of recency bias and drama queens in here. Fitterer sucked, but he was nowhere near the worst GM in history. He made some good picks, made some good signings, made bad ones of both too. Not to mention his first two (of three) years it would seem Rhule wore the pants in the front office. 

I knew people used to ride on Fitts dick, didnt know you hadnt got off yet... my apologies....

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Navy_football said:

Real talk though, TMJ is a more natural WR than Mingo. 

Mingo is an athlete trying to be a WR. He's just so awkward and almost no ball skills. May be he'd be a better safety than a WR. 

Or how about something that leans into what he is pretty solid at, make him a FB/HB. 

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Or how about something that leans into what he is pretty solid at, make him a FB/HB. 

FB maybe.

I don't know about tailback or halfback. Have you seen him run with the ball? Dude falls down as soon as he can. That's if he doesn't roll over onto his head and fumble.