• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Interesting take on Evero and why no change in scheme

raleigh-panther

3 minutes ago, strato said:

poo I just rewatched the Atlanta game looking for it. Let's say they fixed that. 

I’m being a little hyperbolic with the 15 yards but I think it was the Jamarr Chase TD which was like a 3rd and 2 from what I recall and the corners are playing 10 yards off the receivers and dropping back after the snap. It is brain dead defensive playcalling 

2 minutes ago, hepcat said:

I’m being a little hyperbolic with the 15 yards but I think it was the Jamarr Chase TD which was like a 3rd and 2 from what I recall and the corners are playing 10 yards off the receivers and dropping back after the snap. It is brain dead defensive playcalling 

I mostly saw them congregating behind the line to gain with eyes towards coming up to meet someone ahead of it. on the longer ‘to go’ downs. And crowding the goal line down close. 
I did not notice anyone much past 7-8 yards off the LOS on normal downs and distance. Probably more cushion on like, 15 yards to go.   

Atlanta's WRs made plays. There were some busted coverages, but they caught contested passes all day too. DBs were in their hip pockets all day. I think you just have to harrass the QB against a team like that. And make the pick 6 INT when the ball hits you in the hands early - GEEZ!

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

On 10/15/2024 at 8:19 AM, Jon Snow said:

I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle. The players just aren't capable of anything more that what they've learned so far and all of the new guys are just trying to learn the base defense. I'm not sure how you scheme around a lack of experience and skill even if Evero could. I'm not going to lose sleep if he leaves because it would not matter in the grand scheme of things. More talent would help a lot but that takes time.

It would also help if we hadn't gutted the defense to build around a QB that would be benched 2 games into the season. I'm tired of this board being right more than our coaches. Did we need line help? Absolutely. Did we need to spend all those picks on offense? Maybe. Did any of it help our bust QB throw the ball, or fix his footwork, or read a defense, or any other of the dozen things a PS QB can do? Nope. Bryce has never been the best option to win and if those in charge had actually admitted it instead of doubling down, it's likely we wouldn't be this short of talent. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

13 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

It would also help if we hadn't gutted the defense to build around a QB that would be benched 2 games into the season. I'm tired of this board being right more than our coaches. Did we need line help? Absolutely. Did we need to spend all those picks on offense? Maybe. Did any of it help our bust QB throw the ball, or fix his footwork, or read a defense, or any other of the dozen things a PS QB can do? Nope. Bryce has never been the best option to win and if those in charge had actually admitted it instead of doubling down, it's likely we wouldn't be this short of talent. 

Yeah, that guy and on top of that, going further down the hole to prop him up so hard was the worst thing we have ever done. 

It was killing a fly with a sledge hammer type of propping. We needed to fix the OL but a lot of it was injuries last year. It’s hard to downplay the talent of the guards we bought but I didn’t think that was all necessary.  We could have had a decent line without the over the top and kept the defense out of the gutter. 

• Beer 1

43 minutes ago, Navy_football said:

Atlanta's WRs made plays. There were some busted coverages, but they caught contested passes all day too. DBs were in their hip pockets all day. I think you just have to harrass the QB against a team like that. And make the pick 6 INT when the ball hits you in the hands early - GEEZ!

They did. And a game of inches for sure. And bounces. They had that damned deflection for a completion and a 1st down. As if they needed luck. 

If Canales wants Evero on his staff, I hope he sticks around.

The defense has been garbage, but as has been pointed out, the talent on defense, especially after the injuries is garbage.

I'd actually like to see some coaching consistency for a change. And Evero is still a very bright defensive mind. He's not to blame 100% for the defensive poo show we're putting on tape, and I think it would be a mistake to jettison one of the most interesting minds in the game because of a bad season from a bad team.