• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Brooks' Practice Window is OPEN

Bear Hands

CHARLOTTE — Monday could end up being a big day for the remainder of the Carolina Panthers. With a laundry list of injured players—some before the season and some through the course of the season—the beginning of the week provided some good news for some of those names.

Rookie running back Jonathon Brooks could be on the practice field with his teammates as soon as this week, according to Dave Canales. If Brooks does begin practicing this week, it will open up the 21-day window to then place Brooks on the active roster.

"He's checked all the boxes in terms of his getting back to being able to practice, so we're hoping to open up that window today. That's a decision we're going to have to make today," Canales told reporters on Monday. "So we're going to be talking about that and we have been, but excited to potentially get him out there and see what he looks like."

The second rounder out of Texas, who was the first running back taken in this springs draft, was a home run hitter for the Longhorns in his final season in Austin. He picked up 1,139 yards and 10 touchdowns in 11 games, before suffering a season ending ACL injury. When he does suit up in process blue, Canales is hoping he can be the same for the Panthers.

"Explosive ability, combination of size and speed," Canales listed, as just a few of things that stood out about Brooks in college. "(His) body control I thought was really rare for what we've seen in the past couple of years.

"A really fluid catcher out of the backfield, the ability to hit the home run, to take it the distance and a natural patience in his run style. So, he has a combination of a lot of great traits that you hope for."

Even knowing what Brooks could bring, the Panthers have been purposely patient with the rookie. Not wanting to push him onto the field too soon has kept coaches hesitant when it comes to Brooks. As they make the decision on Monday, Canales said they will all put "our heads together" to evaluate.

"(It's just) making sure we feel fully confident, especially coming off the nature of an injury like this, that he gets out there and he can go for it and give us a look at what he's going to be like."

https://www.panthers.com/news/monday-brew-some-good-news-on-the-injury-front

• Pie 3

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

With the way Chuba is playing I honestly don't even care.

Yup a wasted pick. Team sure could use a 2nd round talent at a position of need that played all year.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

Honestly, just had a random thought, Chuba playing extremely well in the final year of his rookie contract...if Brooks does come back and we have the ability to, could we move Chuba to like Dallas for a decent pick?  It really would bum be out, I love Chuba, but imo, it depends on what the front office has planned in the offseason, if they're gonna work on a deal with hubbard, cool, if not (which I think is their intention), then he 100% has value to someone like dallas who swears their in their win now window but has no running game.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Carolina Cajun said:

Honestly, just had a random thought, Chuba playing extremely well in the final year of his rookie contract...if Brooks does come back and we have the ability to, could we move Chuba to like Dallas for a decent pick?  It really would bum be out, I love Chuba, but imo, it depends on what the front office has planned in the offseason, if they're gonna work on a deal with hubbard, cool, if not (which I think is their intention), then he 100% has value to someone like dallas who swears their in their win now window but has no running game.

It would have to be a sign and trade scenario IMO. I’d be ok with it if Chuba wanted too much money. I’d rather keep him if the price is right. Good running backs seem so common until you don’t have one.

3 minutes ago, Carolina Cajun said:

I thought the same. Of the panthers trade pieces he might be the most valuable depending on the health of playoff teams at the deadline. 

1 minute ago, 45catfan said:

He needs to get some reps before heading into year two, but do they really want him to come back in under such crap circumstances?

Well the situation for RB's is quite good. 

I would rather he play so we can see him alongside Chuba. If Chuba looks like the far better back, it might change the calculus in the offseason(maybe).

• Pie 2

They have two choices with Hubbard, give him an extension or draft his replacement. Brooks will split carries with Chuba or whoever they replace him with. This team needs two RB's to be successful. You cannot run one back into the ground. 

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1

10 minutes ago, Carolina Cajun said:

Yeah, I'd honestly try to trade him. We already have considerable assets invested in Brooks and RB is just a draft 'em and let 'em walk position IMO.

• Pie 1

Probably be more of a tag and trade if it goes that far. 

Interesting to me that Canales did  not reject out of hand a trade deadline question about Chuba being moved, like he seemed to with Johnson.

Any cheap FA vet would be okay afaic, we've done okay at that. Let's find a Mike Tolbert.