• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Everybody is talking about resigning Chuba Hubbard or Diontae Johnson

Basbear

5 minutes ago, t96 said:

Horn is shadowing the other team's best receiver lol this means nothing without context.

The point would still stand. They are playing relatively as effectively in those situations. I will also point out that Horn is a little bit better more sure of a tackler than Jackson. 10% Missed Tackle Rate versus 12.1%.

Jackson has played fairly well, about at his statistical averages historically. Consequently, this is the worst season statistically that Horn has ever had(which he has also played in very few games in his career, less than 2 seasons total). 

Horn has generally regressed to Jackson's level, which is not bad but not elite.

• Pie 2

5 hours ago, t96 said:

Jackson has been phenomenal for what we paid for him and compared to expectations. I’d consider keeping him around depending on contract. I don’t view him as a huge priority. And let’s not act like we’re set at CB because he’s been average. The position group is still a weakness, like every position group on D. Yes pass rush is the weakest but there just isn’t any strength on D. Horn if healthy is borderline elite but the rest of the corners are underwhelming and the safeties suck. We need to completely 100% overhaul the D

The front 7 is abysmal.  I’ll take average in the secondary if we can upgrade the front.  We aren’t “set” at CB by any stretch but it’s fine the way it is until the other units are at least on par with them.

• Beer 1

5 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

Too early to decide on extensions for anyone. There's a lot of games left to be played and you have no way of knowing what will play out with these guys. Patience wins in the end. 

You are right, my goal was mainly to showcase MJ for his stellar play. It is too early to talk of these things, dam shame I was given the 1-5 my mind has already shifted to 2025 off-season. 

5 hours ago, MHS831 said:

He would be #1 on my re-sign list.  Johnson is likely to seek a big deal and leave, and most second contracts for RBs do not pan out.  Think about it--they are in their primes at 25-26 when the second contract comes around. They start dropping off at 27 on the average, but you will be paying them on numbers that were accomplished in their primes.  It is hard to let go, but sometimes, considering the availability of RBs in college who would give you four years on a first contract, you would get better production vs. the cap than most RBs on a second contract vs. the cap.   Chuba would be hard because I like his toughness and leadership--but I would use the money elsewhere.  We have Brooks, by the way.  Tough call.

Jackson has been a beast and probably would be fairly affordable.  I've seen enough--I would extend him now.

That was my thinking as well, the contract that makes the most sense is Michael Jackson. DJohnson will get some 20+ million bag and recent history has shown you should not offer a high 2nd contract to a Rb (inches sanders among many others). 

Not to say I dont want either, just magic 8-balling mid-season and thought " Hey this MJ fellow came in super late and has played great given theres 0% pass rush...... sure would be nice to keep him a few more years". 

Ive seen enough too. 

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

Doesn't matter; you don't pay big money to a RB who isn't elite. And while Chuba has been good, he hasn't been elite. 

Nobody is saying pay big money to Chuba. Not one single person. “Resign” doesn’t mean “pay big money”. People get resigned to reasonable deals all the time, much more often than people get “big money”. If that many people were getting big money, it wouldn’t be big money. It’d be average money

2 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

Nobody is saying pay big money to Chuba. Not one single person. “Resign” doesn’t mean “pay big money”. People get resigned to reasonable deals all the time, much more often than people get “big money”. If that many people were getting big money, it wouldn’t be big money. It’d be average money

Most players that produce and hit free agency get overpaid.  It’s how the league works.  Chuba will have suitors if he hits the open market.  His agent knows this.

• Pie 2

Mike Jack should be cheap to resign. He shouldn't be a starter, but good depth.

I would cut Sanders in the offseason and take that money to resign Chuba. If he doesn't take it, then let him walk.

Johnson is worth it IMO. I'd give no more than 25 mil a year. If he wants more than tag and trade him.

I hope Jackson should be cheaper or more reasonable but all of those guys have agents in their ear. All agents also know teams overpay in free agency. A good chance can fall apart that easily. I hope we can keep him but I'm always prepared for the worst in the NFL as a fan. 

• Pie 1