• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Everybody is talking about resigning Chuba Hubbard or Diontae Johnson

Basbear

The answer is always "it depends on the contracts" - good news is RB's aren't super expensive and Sanders will be cut next year regardless, so Chuba is probably gonna be a resign.  MJ has been decent and shouldn't be too expensive.  Diontae might want too much money but he has clearly been worth the resign if he has reasonable expectations.  I much more worried about what we do for LB's, DE's, T's, and C next year.

Chuba and Diontae will likely want to test the market, and will demand a high price tag.  That's just how free agency works.  I would expect them both to be gone unless Dan is about to overpay one or both of them.  Mike Jack is more of a wildcard at this point.  He hasn't made enough of a name for himself to warrant a lot of free agency attention.

• Pie 1

17 hours ago, Basbear said:

What about Michael Jackson??

I feel Michael Jackson has played great since he came in 10 days before week one. Hes right there with JC horn and if he does give up a TD, he is in good position. Its hard to judge whos fault it is about the busted plays and big gainers. I think hes about 30 good/great plays to 1 awful ratio, about the same as Horn. 

Add Michael to the resign wish list! 

Can imagine you if panthers had some sort of pass rush with both Jackson and Horn, I promise INTs would be happening.  

He would be #1 on my re-sign list.  Johnson is likely to seek a big deal and leave, and most second contracts for RBs do not pan out.  Think about it--they are in their primes at 25-26 when the second contract comes around. They start dropping off at 27 on the average, but you will be paying them on numbers that were accomplished in their primes.  It is hard to let go, but sometimes, considering the availability of RBs in college who would give you four years on a first contract, you would get better production vs. the cap than most RBs on a second contract vs. the cap.   Chuba would be hard because I like his toughness and leadership--but I would use the money elsewhere.  We have Brooks, by the way.  Tough call.

Jackson has been a beast and probably would be fairly affordable.  I've seen enough--I would extend him now.

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

He hasn't made enough of a name for himself to warrant a lot of free agency attention.

Which is why I would sign MJ (Hee Hee) him to an extension now.

Considering the cap room, Johnson might get an offer, but any free agent WR is going to want to go where there is an established QB.  Johnson had Pickett and Bryce---imagine if he were with Buffalo, KC, or Washington, for example.  Too many other greener pastures for him.

• Beer 1

Michael Jackson has been the best CB2 we've had in a long time. 

Diontae is good but based on what I've seen, he isn't the "take over the game" type of WR that you'd spend top dollar on.

Chuba has been our greatest and most consistent offensive weapon since he came into the league, so I'd keep him in the price is right. 

• Pie 2

35 minutes ago, Manna said:

Diontae is good but based on what I've seen, he isn't the "take over the game" type of WR that you'd spend top dollar on.

Chuba has been our greatest and most consistent offensive weapon since he came into the league, so I'd keep him in the price is right. 

Very good points. 

41 minutes ago, Manna said:

Don't worry about that.  It won't be.  The question is whether Dan pays him or another team does.

1 minute ago, The Lobo said:

Person mentioned the market being set with the Adams/Jets trade, mentioned if we wanted to move Johnson, that was something to model. I’ve said in the past, if we approach him for an extension and he declines, trade him. 

That would be the prudent th8ng to do but this team had not been known for doing that.

• Pie 1

The return of Thielen will push Chuba and Johnson’s production to another level. I don’t think either will be wisely spent money as both figures will be cringe worthy. 

Resources have to be dedicated on defense even if it means offense production slips a bit. The o line has been mostly solidified except for center and LT. 

Money and draft capital have to go defense in the offseason, or trading Chuba and/or Johnson for good D talent. Trade would be better than drafting. 

Keep MJ, trade Chuba and Johnson for genuine NFL defensive starters. Lock up Thielen and Andy for 2 more years. Develop XL and the other WRs and see what we got this coming season. 

If we can add 3-4 quality defensive starters  via trade and draft for this coming season, that would be huge. 

Edited by Gapanthersfan

We need to get Brooks into the mix so we can see how badly we need Chuba.

He has two ACLs and has only torn one... just saying. We don't know until we know, and all kinds of bad stuff has played out before. So let's get some trust established with him, or not, and then maybe the Chuba situation becomes clearer.

Edited by strato