• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What Do You Think About Our Rookies Thus Far?

Hoenheim

We've played 6 games, so about 35% of the season has passed already.

I know it's early but this class already looks more promising than 2023, which might have been the worst draft in panthers franchise history. 

Legette looks pretty good, he looks explosive. Maybe he hasn't gotten huge bombs yet but he's demonstrated that he's strong and fast with the ball and is a nice red zone target. He's probably gonna get something like 500 yards 5 or 6 TDs by seasons end, which is pretty decent for a rookie WR on a bad team.  He's basically what the Panthers thought Mingo would be last year. 

Brooks obviously hasn't played but he could turn this rookie class into a slam dunk if he's good. I'd expect him to get sprinkled in to the later half of the year, but don't expect him to get a ton of carries with Chubba running so well and Canales apparent aversion for running the ball.

Wallace has been a pleasant surprise. I haven't been watching him super closely, but I like his tackling ability and high motor.

JT Sanders has been okay ish.  

Not so sure about Smith Wade or Crumedy. I know Barrett was traded to Seattle.  We very very rarely hit on 4th  to 7th rounders historically.  So even getting a solid role player out of any of these dudes would be a huge win.

• Beer 1

I've seen enough of Legette and Wallace to know that we had a decent draft. That's two starters. Brooks is just going to set things in stone. If 18 comes on, then this could be one of the best drafts in franchise history. 

Legette and Wallace looks the part sooner than expected. I’m pleasantly surprised at how well XL has acclimated at times. He’ll have rookie moments but he’s shown well.

Brooks is TBD.

Sanders is interesting right now because he’s getting valuable playing time.  Has had nice moments, has had a few and some not so nice moments, but nothing that’s jumping out telling me he doesn’t belong. Rookie bumps, I’d love to see him continue to ease into things and make week to week improvement. 

Smith-Wade is getting playing time. Unsure there’s enough to judge. 

1 minute ago, TD alt said:

I've seen enough of Legette and Wallace to know that we had a decent draft. That's two starters. Brooks is just going to set things in stone. If 18 comes on, then this could be one of the best drafts in franchise history. 

Yea I forgot to mention Coker. Dude is smooth with good hands for sure. I've been saying take Mingo off the field and give his snaps to Coker 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

Just now, Hoenheim said:

Yea I forgot to mention Coker. Dude is smooth with good hands for sure. I've been saying take Mingo off the field and give his snaps to Coker 

Canales gradually loses bits of credibility with me with every snap that Mingo gets that Coker doesn't get. One day all those bits are going to equal to a chunk. That was one of my hugest criticisms of Rivera: failure to get the best guys on the field---damn the seniority! 

2 minutes ago, TD alt said:

Canales gradually loses bits of credibility with me with every snap that Mingo gets that Coker doesn't get. One day all those bits are going to equal to a chunk. That was one of my hugest criticisms of Rivera: failure to get the best guys on the field---damn the seniority! 

I don't disagree as a pure WR.

But there could easily be stuff keeping Mingo ahead for now  (playbook knowledge, blocking assignments, blocking ability).   That stuff matters but isn't as clear to fans.

• Pie 1

Really encouraging so far, like what I’ve seen from Legette and Coker, Wallace is very active and is already making the defensive calls, I’m high on Sanders, he just needs more time. Brooks is tbd, but he has a lot of potential 

2 minutes ago, jamos14 said:

I don't disagree as a pure WR.

But there could easily be stuff keeping Mingo ahead for now  (playbook knowledge, blocking assignments, blocking ability).   That stuff matters but isn't as clear to fans.

You may be 100 percent right, and what I'm about to say is  a hot take (perhaps born of growing skepticism), but Coker looks to be a better receiver than Canales does as HC. Sure, it's a whole helluva lot easier to be a receiver, but Canales also has a helluva lot more experience as a coach comparatively.