• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Would You Get a QB in 2025 draft, or not??

Hoenheim

12 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Ward is talented, but he makes a lot of mistakes. The WOW plays make you forget. Stuff like that scares me, because he could very well be a athlete in college football. Those WOW plays aren't happening at the next level. Can he sit on the pocket and beat you with his arm? I haven't seen that so far.

I'm not completely out on Ward, I just have to see more. Once again he plays in the weak ACC. I want to see how he does vs SEC competition in the playoffs.

The only two real knocks on Ward are that his arm strength is good (but not elite) and he down right refuses to take the easy yards - he's got the idea that he's in a Heisman race firmly stuck in his head so he's trying for the kill shot every down rather than throwing to the wide open guy in the flats for a first down. 

He sits in the pocket and obliterates everyone, I'm not sure what you're talking about there. Nor am I sure what you're talking about regarding the ACC - VT took Vandy to OT, Miami murdered Florida at The Swamp etc etc. 

From what I've seen (and I haven't scouted anyone yet) he's the best QB in College football - but I don't know if he'll be a very good NFL QB or just one of the many very good College QBs to fall by the wayside at the next level. He's certainly got the right mindset to be very good. 

53 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

There was no Mahomes comp for anyone that actually watched Young play football.

Ward has the ability to throw from multiple arm angles, but he doesn't have anything like Mahomes' arm strength.

Ward's throwing reminds me a little of Lamar.  He looks comfortable back there and is a gunslinger.  No moment appears to big and he looks like the leader in the huddle.  He is athletic enough to beat some pressure and extend plays (obviously no where near Lamar's level).  Like most gunslingers he will amaze you with one play and frustrate you with another.  He trusts his arm a long.  His arm looks plenty strong to me (yeah not Allen or Mahomes, but solid).  He also has a lot of experience throwing the ball.  They threw a lot at WSU and he had solid numbers there (high TO ratio though).

3 hours ago, OldhamA said:

What makes you think he's not 6'2"?

All of his OLinemen are a legit 6'5"+ if that's your point of reference.

I forget what I read but it was some skeptical stuff I read somewhere, I haven't done any tape watching or anything myself. Won't until the season is done.

So call me lazy... and combine that with the crap that Young is 204 pounds and that probably every one of them is inaccurately listed by their school. 

Edited by strato

I’m open to it as long as we don’t trade up. There are some interesting QBs in this group that can become something. And things will change over the next 2-3 months as we get in to the playoffs etc. Daniels was not considered a top prospect at this time last year if I remember correctly. 

2 minutes ago, Martin said:

I’m open to it as long as we don’t trade up. There are some interesting QBs in this group that can become something. And things will change over the next 2-3 months as we get in to the playoffs etc. Daniels was not considered a top prospect at this time last year if I remember correctly. 

As long the player is bpa it makes sense. Reaching on a bottom of the 1st at best qb at 4 and possibly 1st overall is how we got here. 

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Every other?  So skip this year?  Lol

No, we skipped last year. It is time to start throwing some later round spaghetti against the wall to see if it sticks.

I wanted Rattler, for example. He went in the 5th. He looked better than a 5th round pick for the most part in his first game. They solved him pretty well but the idea is not to take a 5th round flier and throw him out there like a 1st rounder. He needs to be slow cooked. 

A season or two in the league sitting and adapting might yield better results.

1 hour ago, strato said:

I forget what I read but it was some skeptical stuff I read somewhere, I haven't done any tape watching or anything myself. Won't until the season is done.

So call me lazy... and combine that with the crap that Young is 204 pounds and that probably every one of them is inaccurately listed by their school. 

Here he is training with Sanders and Drones (VT QB and his cousin).  He is just as tall as Sanders and a little bigger.  I wouldn't worry about his size.  Time holding the ball and turnovers are his red flags.

• Pie 1

20 minutes ago, strato said:

No, we skipped last year. It is time to start throwing some later round spaghetti against the wall to see if it sticks.

I wanted Rattler, for example. He went in the 5th. He looked better than a 5th round pick for the most part in his first game. They solved him pretty well but the idea is not to take a 5th round flier and throw him out there like a 1st rounder. He needs to be slow cooked. 

A season or two in the league sitting and adapting might yield better results.

Man I'm fine with taking a guy like Rattler almost every year.  I'm talking about using our most certainly to be top 10 pick on one.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Daddy_Uncle said:

If we have top 3 pick I would love to trade down just a few picks and add a second and 1st next year. If we can still get Cam Ward with the trade down, I'm 100% doing it. Then go hard and heavy on linebackers and pass rushers

There would be no way to know this before you make the trade.