• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If We Don't Win Another Game. Do We Make Any Trades??

Hoenheim

9 minutes ago, Tbe said:

Very different from what the Rams did though.

The Rams went all-in on the Super Bowl or bust with the FAs.  They blew their cap up and didn't care.  We continue to dip our toes in the water for a temperature check.  We won't commit to a full rebuild through the draft, we won't commit to a heavy veteran roster via FA and all we get is the half-arse rebuild on the fly year after year.

• Beer 4

3 hours ago, NAS said:

Define big bucks. Pay them fair market value based on current and projected performance. This false premise that you can’t retain your best players is just nonsense, especially when they’re at totally different positions. 

They need to see if they can get Diontae to agree to a reasonable long term deal or try to trade him if not.

Horn deserves to be paid if he continues to show he can stay healthy and perform. 

Chuba can be signed to a deal that you could move away from in 3 years when hopefully Brooks can take over as the premier back. 

If I'm a year away from FA I'm not re-signing in Carolina for "fair market value."

• Flames 1

we frankly have nothing to do trade.   Derrick Brown is our only actual asset that we would get legit draft picks from. 

we would be getting peanuts for AT, Johnson, Chubba.  Maybe you could get something okay for Horn.  But even that is questionable given his injury history....and you gotta assume folks see something on tape because given how bare bones our D is.....teams still throw at the guy. 

• Beer 2

More picks in the mid rounds the better (obviously the higher the better). Keep Chuba with Brooks (and Blackshear) for next season and beyond. WR Johnson (I like, but understand the business) is a potential trade to a team WR needy (ie: Chiefs). Maybe you get a 6th for Mingo. I would not trade Horn or Brown. Keep the O-line together (or as much as possible). Miles Sanders might get a 5th or 6th if we eat some of the contract to a team in need. Even Dalton could get you a pick if any injuries happen in the league and we are back to playing Young (which I believe deserves another shot). We all need to see, especially the Panthers before the off-season. 

Canales needs time and his players. By the end of next year we should see a direction (hopefully up) leading to a 2026 playoff contender. These are the lean years but we have to try and stay supportive. 

Trading proven players for picks is generally a bad idea. Rather keep the few decent players we have. But we shouldn't be passive and just see what happens either.

Bring in every player that's a pending free agent that you want to keep, and try to work out an extension NOW. Don't let them hit free agency.

If they're asking some crazy price, or it's very clear that they have zero intention of re-signing with the team THEN you can trade them. Better to get something if they're going to walk anyway.

35 minutes ago, Tbe said:

It’s definitely a big part of it.

Drafting is always a crap shoot though.

Trading a good player for a 20% chance of drafting another good player is usually dumb.

The rams got to two superbowls with the ‘F@&k draft picks’ mentality.

It's the biggest part of it. Trading an expensive player isn't in itself bad and is somewhat necessary in the modern NFL, missing on what you drafted them for is really bad which is the Panther special. Add in the Young trade and it compounds the issue further with that massive miss on so many chances at talent infusions on rookie contracts.  

The Rams did but then it caught up with them fast. They bought a SB but now have a team nearly as bad as the Panthers 2+ years after a SB win they bought and that's with getting to the playoffs last year while getting bounced by the team they used to buy a SB. They literally bought a 1 year window and fell apart after the Stafford trade as a contender, scraped together 9 wins under Stafford in 2023 and then got much worse again this year. They were also a 10-6 team the year before the Stafford trade so they were in a position to actually buy a SB.

If you are not drafting well it will doom a team long term. They can cheat it for a bit with good pro-personnel moves but that's a patch at best IMO. And as for the odds, the more pics you have the more a team should increase their chances of finding good players. It also helps if they don't have a project player fetish. 

• Pie 1

Some perspective on being on a losing team that fans do not experience. Excerpt from the story of Mitch Richmond and his time with the Sacramento Kings:

It was unbelievable. I walk in, and the first thing I hear from one of the players, they go, “Welcome to hell.” And I’m like, “Aw, s—. Damn.” I’m like, “What? Oh my god.” So, I sit down. Now, I’m just sitting there. I have my clothes on and Spud Webb comes down sits right next to me.

Spud whispers to me and goes, “Man, I don’t wish this on nobody. But I’m glad you’re here with me.”

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

49 minutes ago, CRA said:

we frankly have nothing to do trade.   Derrick Brown is our only actual asset that we would get legit draft picks from. 

we would be getting peanuts for AT, Johnson, Chubba.  Maybe you could get something okay for Horn.  But even that is questionable given his injury history....and you gotta assume folks see something on tape because given how bare bones our D is.....teams still throw at the guy. 

Pretty sure Mike Jackson has made more clutch plays than Jaycee this year. 

• Beer 2

51 minutes ago, t96 said:

If I'm a year away from FA I'm not re-signing in Carolina for "fair market value."

Underrated comment here.  There's basically a huge tax for players willing to sign with the worst team in the NFL for the last couple years. 

Nobody is going to want to play for the Panthers for a fair deal unless they can't get anything higher on the market with another team 

• Beer 2

Honestly, I'd be willing to have conversations about anyone on an expiring contract.  Get value while you can.

That being said, how easy is it to find an upgrade/replacement for them?  The two that jump out for me are Diante Johnson and Chubba Hubbard - our two best offensive players right now.  They have some value based on their performance.  Brooks is going to come back and take carries away from Hubbard so I could see that move.  Diante is our best WR by a long shot.  But he's 29 and wanting to get paid.  Don't blame him there.

Ideally, I'd prefer to keep my best players.  Reward the work, build the culture.  But this team is so bad, how long before Chubba wears out?  Diante loses a step?  How long until we're decent?  It's all a gamble.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

1 hour ago, CRA said:

We’d get less than peanuts if we let Chubba and Johnson walk in FA. IMO,we don’t retain either. Might as well get what you can, while you can.

• Beer 1