• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If We Don't Win Another Game. Do We Make Any Trades??

Hoenheim

I don't know about paying Chuba. I definitely think Sanders looks better this year but he is still mostly dead weight. Too much money for what he offers.

What I don't like in this offseason of pumping up the offense is there is not a between the tackles ball carrier that can move a pile. 

Also, you think about this OL, which with all hands on deck is going to make average backs look good. Chuba has to know that if he stays he will have the blocking to run behind. So maybe he signs a friendly deal and we get Sanders off the payroll. 

But we must have a banger on the roster. 

3 minutes ago, frankw said:

We definitely need to avoid throwing out any high priced contracts at this point. We've never committed to a proper rebuild. Even this year we had Dan Morgan calling it a "retooling". Just maddening.

After the season you kick the tires with Chuba and see what he's looking for. Same with Johnson. Between the two I am more concerned with keeping Hubbard. I feel like he would be more likely to give us a little leeway. Diontae will absolutely be looking to get maximum value out of his contract and who can blame him? There will be no discount whatsoever. I like him and his potential but if we sign him to a big contract IMO there's a good chance we end up regretting it. That's nothing personal against Diontae. I just know my Panthers. It's what we do.

Everything going forward should be about getting more draft assets if possible  and drafting BPA. That's the only viable path to fixing this roster.

They should be feeling out all of those guys now and if they know they can't or shouldn't afford them in the offseason then move them for anything now because they are already gone. They have an elderly QB, no defense and I'm not sure they are building anything more than experience for most of the team. Getting any draft capital is a win for people who won't and shouldn't be here next year. They definitely need everything they can get in the draft to start the rebuild from another failed retooling. 

• Pie 2

9 hours ago, Tbe said:

Trading our best players every year is a big reason why this team is so bad.

Keep guys who perform. Build a culture of winning by rewarding success and not giving up even when things look bleak.

I mostly agree, but there trading someone who will likely not be back next year (Johnson), can be the right move.  

1 hour ago, NCBlu said:

I never understood let's trade our good player for a CHANCE to draft a good player...

Just keep your good guys and add more when your pick come up you can find good player in all rnds in the draft. Good scouting helps of course... 

I would put the guys under contract for next year or beyond, in the keep them category. When they aren't under contract and you just let them go for nothing... not as good. 

12 hours ago, Hoenheim said:

I'm curious as to what you think about this. You think we trade off any players before the deadline if we keep losing? Or will we be quiet and just sit on the draft picks we have.

If you think it will happen, who will be traded and for what value? 

We currently have 9 draft picks. The 2nd rounder from the Rams is looking pretty good right now. Most of our draft picks are mid-late rounders though.

Screenshot_20241014_083332_Chrome.jpg

Pull against the Rams!

I think we should trade away players that are going to be difficult to re-sign.  This is going to make people mad--you have to look at the BIG PICTURE and not the position.  Yes, we'd like to keep AAAAAA but if we pay AAAAAA we cannot fill a need at position z.

Chuba Hubbard RB:  He is in his prime and running hard.  I would LOVE to keep him, but he could bring us a second rounder.  His contract expires this season, and it would take $$$$ to keep him--we have Brooks and maybe could draft a RB--I just do not like signing RBs to second contracts, so why not get something for him and use the savings at a rare position like DE.

Dionte Johnson WR:  I get the feeling he is leaving, and without Thielen, Johnson will probably have a 1000 yard season if he were to stay.  I think he can really help a team in a playoff race--I would expect a second rounder for him as well (but I am speculating--don't really know the market--but if a team needs a WR, Hmmmm).

Jadaveon Clowney OLB:  At 32 making $14m, hardly worth it.  If a team wants him and would assume his contract, I would probably let him go for a seventh rounder.  Why?  We need to develop Barno and Johnson to go with Wonnum, understanding that Edge is our priority in the draft.  Clowney gets in the way and has not been productive.

Miles Sanders RB:  At 27, he is in his prime, but not playing like it.  He could be traded for a conditional pick, just to get his salary off the books.  This is why I say never pay a RB a second contract---in most cases.  

Bryce Young QB:  Here is the tricky part--some of you say Bryce is done.  If we cut him or trade him now, we get nothing.  If there is an injury and a playoff team wants Young, trade.  His value should be to remain on the roster and compete next year with the new QB and (possibly) Dalton, if we bring him back for another year.  I want to cut or trade Bryce now, but he is not a distraction and his contract is fully guaranteed.  Wait for an opportunity.  Bryce is going to make $38m here--if you trade up for the first overall pick, you better get it right.  We didn't.  Anyone who would take on part of his salary would get my interest.

9 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Pull against the Rams!

I think we should trade away players that are going to be difficult to re-sign.  This is going to make people mad--you have to look at the BIG PICTURE and not the position.  Yes, we'd like to keep AAAAAA but if we pay AAAAAA we cannot fill a need at position z.

Chuba Hubbard RB:  He is in his prime and running hard.  I would LOVE to keep him, but he could bring us a second rounder.  His contract expires this season, and it would take $$$$ to keep him--we have Brooks and maybe could draft a RB--I just do not like signing RBs to second contracts, so why not get something for him and use the savings at a rare position like DE.

Dionte Johnson WR:  I get the feeling he is leaving, and without Thielen, Johnson will probably have a 1000 yard season if he were to stay.  I think he can really help a team in a playoff race--I would expect a second rounder for him as well (but I am speculating--don't really know the market--but if a team needs a WR, Hmmmm).

Jadaveon Clowney OLB:  At 32 making $14m, hardly worth it.  If a team wants him and would assume his contract, I would probably let him go for a seventh rounder.  Why?  We need to develop Barno and Johnson to go with Wonnum, understanding that Edge is our priority in the draft.  Clowney gets in the way and has not been productive.

Miles Sanders RB:  At 27, he is in his prime, but not playing like it.  He could be traded for a conditional pick, just to get his salary off the books.  This is why I say never pay a RB a second contract---in most cases.  

Bryce Young QB:  Here is the tricky part--some of you say Bryce is done.  If we cut him or trade him now, we get nothing.  If there is an injury and a playoff team wants Young, trade.  His value should be to remain on the roster and compete next year with the new QB and (possibly) Dalton, if we bring him back for another year.  I want to cut or trade Bryce now, but he is not a distraction and his contract is fully guaranteed.  Wait for an opportunity.  Bryce is going to make $38m here--if you trade up for the first overall pick, you better get it right.  We didn't.  Anyone who would take on part of his salary would get my interest.

Hard to argue with these. People love to say we need to pay our good players but we can't pay everyone and also pay up big for marquee free agents on top of that as well. 

Unless you wanna end up like the Saints and keep kicking the can down the road for a decade.  Eventually, that poo is gonna bite them in the ass and they will suck ass for a decade because they keep borrowing cap from future years  😆 

Mother fugers are -80 mil in the hole for 2025. Eventually they're gonna have to eat that poo.

Screenshot_20241014_234029_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Hoenheim

4 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Pull against the Rams!

With you excluding you know who. He needs to go anywhere else, for any return or no return. 
What is the point of having him in a competition he can’t win? Tank his value further. Maybe. Let him prove someone else wrong.