• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If We Don't Win Another Game. Do We Make Any Trades??

Hoenheim

1 hour ago, t96 said:

If I'm a year away from FA I'm not re-signing in Carolina for "fair market value."

You’re underestimating the value of familiarity and fit. No guarantee to have same production elsewhere 

• Beer 2

3 hours ago, Prowler2k18 said:

I agree to an extent but if we keep losing, and that’s a real possibility with the mounting injuries and defensive struggles, there’s a good chance DJ won’t be making plans to stick around beyond this season. In that case, I say we definitely should consider trading him for by the deadline. Let’s face it - it’s going to take some time to build this team into a winner. We’re not just a player or two away either. What’s the use of holding onto a valuable player who may not be around after this year anyway when we could possibly net draft capital that will help our team in the long run?

Yes. I would love to sign him long term and hopefully the front office is making a push to get it done before the trade deadline. 

However, if he's not willing to sign than it's stupid to keep him. It will force Moore, Legette, Coker and the other WRs to step up and make plays. 

We need to build through the draft and getting extra picks will help. 

Dionte and Adam Thielen are gone. Get whatever value you can get. 

must re-sign horn. 

Chuba I can see both sides. I do not like giving a RB a 2nd contract, see: Miles Sanders. Not sure we can spend money on a RB at the moment but I do like him. I’d take value over nothing for him. 

Is Thielen expected to play this year? I suppose that couod be related to where he is. 

If so then you definitely try to move him. Not out of any bad feelings, it just makes sense. You have to listen to any interest in Johnsons as well. I can't imagine he has any interest in coming back unless he just has some unexpected desire to be in Charlotte 

13 minutes ago, ImfromClayton said:

Chuba I can see both sides. I do not like giving a RB a 2nd contract, see: Miles Sanders. Not sure we can spend money on a RB at the moment but I do like him. I’d take value over nothing for him. 

If we’re going to give Hubbard a 2nd contract, why the hell did we trade up to draft an injured RB in the 2nd round? You could just add it to the list of mind numbingly stupid things the Panthers have done lately. 

• Flames 1

At some point you have to try to keep some good players. Diontae is worth keeping, Michael Jackson is worth keeping, Dalton on a two year contract is worth keeping. Our O is not bad, so let’s keep those pieces in place while we add to the defense, and we’re starting to get somewhere. I’m not saying to overpay, but around market value we should definitely do it.

17 minutes ago, Sir Big Spurr said:

If we’re going to give Hubbard a 2nd contract, why the hell did we trade up to draft an injured RB in the 2nd round? You could just add it to the list of mind numbingly stupid things the Panthers have done lately. 

Most teams have a two back system, ideally one or both on a rookie contract and you rinse and repeat.  Look at what the Falcons are doing with Allgeier and Robinson. 

Sad to say the Atlanta Falcons and Detroit Lions are significantly better ran organizations.

Anyways some of the best backs in the league right now were undrafted. People are just looking at specific teams to validate what we're doing. But we can't do anything right so ultimately it's just coping.

8 minutes ago, frankw said:

Sad to say the Atlanta Falcons and Detroit Lions are significantly better ran organizations.

Anyways some of the best backs in the league right now were undrafted. People are just looking at specific teams to validate what we're doing. But we can't do anything right so ultimately it's just coping.

We can't just say Tepper sucks, we're dysfunctional so there's no way it'll work for us  Chuba is on a cheap contract as a 4th rounder, so that's one draft pick that actually worked out.  It would be dumb to develop him and let him leave for nothing.  Resign him to a team friendly contract and then work to develop Brooks as his eventual replacement.  

5 minutes ago, NAS said:

We can't just say Tepper sucks, we're dysfunctional so there's no way it'll work for us  Chuba is on a cheap contract as a 4th rounder, so that's one draft pick that actually worked out.  It would be dumb to develop him and let him leave for nothing.  Resign him to a team friendly contract and then work to develop Brooks as his eventual replacement.  

The issue isn't do you pay Chubba the issue is we traded up for another RB with holes across the roster. Yes some other teams have a well oiled 2 back system that works great for them. But those teams generally have well rounded rosters otherwise. Pull up our depth chart and let it sink in.

• Pie 1

Paying an expensive RB when your HC won't run enough might be as effective as getting a QB that can't throw from the pocket 2 expensive OGs...so more of the same really I guess. 

I like Hubbard but I have a feeling he should be priced out of what Carolina should be buying in a RB. Especially when they have a RB contract they need to eat and get behind them ASAP. 

It's time to clean the mess up and I think that means not paying top prices for guys right now. Players are not going to be willing to stay or come here that have options unless it's at top prices. They did that with the OGs and it clearly wasn't worth it because it didn't help their QB from being a bust and the team still has won one game with a bottom third O and last place D. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, NAS said:

You’re underestimating the value of familiarity and fit. No guarantee to have same production elsewhere 

Lol I'm not trying to disagree here as I do get the sentiment but this also works both ways... plenty of guys could (rightfully) think that they will have more production on other teams that can put better players and coaching around them.

Diontae in particular still has never played with any QB coming even remotely close to being elite (Big Ben the last couple years of his career wasn't even close to what he was in his prime) -- put him on the Chiefs, Bills, etc. and he probably has a good chance to blow his production up to this point out of the water. It's no guarantee but these guys also have huge egos and I'm sure this type of thinking enters his mind when thinking about where he wants to be longer term after this year.

3 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Paying an expensive RB when your HC won't run enough might be as effective as getting a QB that can't throw from the pocket 2 expensive OGs...so more of the same really I guess. 

I like Hubbard but I have a feeling he should be priced out of what Carolina should be buying in a RB. Especially when they have a RB contract they need to eat and get behind them ASAP. 

It's time to clean the mess up and I think that means not paying top prices for guys right now. Players are not going to be willing to stay or come here that have options unless it's at top prices. They did that with the OGs and it clearly wasn't worth it because it didn't help their QB from being a bust and the team still has won one game with a bottom third O and last place D. 

We definitely need to avoid throwing out any high priced contracts at this point. We've never committed to a proper rebuild. Even this year we had Dan Morgan calling it a "retooling". Just maddening.

After the season you kick the tires with Chuba and see what he's looking for. Same with Johnson. Between the two I am more concerned with keeping Hubbard. I feel like he would be more likely to give us a little leeway. Diontae will absolutely be looking to get maximum value out of his contract and who can blame him? There will be no discount whatsoever. I like him and his potential but if we sign him to a big contract IMO there's a good chance we end up regretting it. That's nothing personal against Diontae. I just know my Panthers. It's what we do.

Everything going forward should be about getting more draft assets if possible  and drafting BPA. That's the only viable path to fixing this roster.

• Flames 1