• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Chuba Hubbard......

kungfoodude

8 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

So you still want to win a game or two more or are you planning on trotting out there, shaking hands at the coin flip and then going back to the buses?

Play To Win New York Jets GIF

Just because I acknowledge we are years of building away from being above .500 doesn't mean I don't want to win.

Did you stop wanting to win?

I think the real issue is you are hung up on 2-5 carries being the difference in winning and losing for us.  It's just not.  You're really dug into this and the evidence is just not there.  If you think the Chargers defense and our defensive roster are in the same universe talent wise, I don't know what to tell you.

4 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

The right moves and we are a few years away.  You can paint it however you want.  Obviously if we make bad moves it takes longer, but teams in today's NFL can flip it pretty quick.  It starts with XL, Coker, Wallace, and Brooks developing and giving us some foundation.  We also need our top pick this year to be a success.  We need BPA and he needs to some a franchise cornerstone.  That should be expected in the top 5 which is where we are drafting.  

We have at least 2-3 more years of top 10 drafting so we have to be sure to make those picks count. That's the sort of foundation that can get us to being a consistently winning team and possibly a contending team.

Hopefully the 2024 draft went well. I am extremely skeptical of that one but if it did, that could very well be step 1.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

We have at least 2-3 more years of top 10 drafting so we have to be sure to make those picks count. That's the sort of foundation that can get us to being a consistently winning team and possibly a contending team.

Hopefully the 2024 draft went well. I am extremely skeptical of that one but if it did, that could very well be step 1.

I guess it all about perspective.  I feel like our 24 class looks decent so far.  Wallace is setting records for rookie tackles, XL is looking better than I thought at this point and already has a couple TDs, Coker is actually showing ability.  I'd assume Brooks will be a decent RB because that's a pretty safe position, but I know what assuming can do.  The average draft class has 1 maybe 2 players get 2nd contracts.  We already have several flashing some ability.  

5 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

I think the real issue is you are hung up on 2-5 carries being the difference in winning and losing for us.  It's just not.  You're really dug into this and the evidence is just not there.  If you think the Chargers defense and our defensive roster are in the same universe talent wise, I don't know what to tell you.

You are inserting arguments I haven't made. The Chargers are definitively better but they were also far better than us last year.

However, they ended up being a bottom 10 PPG and yardage defense in 2024. We were in the top 10 in YPG and bottom 10 in PPG.

Harbaugh ball improved their defense and will likely(TBD) net improved W/L results this season, as well. I don't expect them to be a Super Bowl team in year 1. 

I don't expect playing a little smarter and beating Atlanta is going to catapult us to being a .500 team either. 

Just now, ForJimmy said:

I guess it all about perspective.  I feel like our 24 class looks decent so far.  Wallace is setting records for rookie tackles, XL is looking better than I thought at this point and already has a couple TDs, Coker is actually showing ability.  I'd assume Brooks will be a decent RB because that's a pretty safe position, but I know what assuming can do.  The average draft class has 1 maybe 2 players get 2nd contracts.  We already have several flashing some ability.  

It's pretty early. I am encouraged by XL playing better and Coker should be getting more reps. He has been leaps and bounds away our most impressive rookie.

It's a lot of "wait and see" overall. 

If at the end of this year at least two of these guys look like viable starters for next year and for reasons other than "don't have anyone else" that's a start.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Mage said:

Last point I'll make - the average team runs the ball about 27 times a game.  So the Panthers only ran the ball 3 times fewer than the average team does, and this was in a game they lost by 18 points.

But yeah, we "abandoned" the run.  

I don't know about abandoning it but I'm sure Andy would have wished they had ran it on that interception that finished us off. My only complaint would be that they had the opportunity to run it a few more times than they did to get the score even before the 4th quarter from where I sit but that's a hindsight observation. In the end they should have ran on their defense more each quarter as their run defense is almost as bad as ours. But I understand why they didn't. The game went sideways and that's all she wrote. 

3 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

Until you get behind.  Opposing teams will love to have a nice lead and us milk the clock for them.  Makes their job easier.  The problem is our offense isn't nearly good enough for shootouts either.  It's just a mess all around.  

Great, keep it within reach

Our defense can't stop anything. We can actually run.  The only way to minimize their points is to eat uo the clock.

7 minutes ago, csx said:

Great, keep it within reach

Our defense can't stop anything. We can actually run.  The only way to minimize their points is to eat uo the clock.

Again we had to pass to open up the run. You can’t just do one without the other. The YPA for Chuba was in the low 3s through most of the first half. We started connecting on passes and the defense had to back up. 

22 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

It's not really necessary. There are better and more versatile options for part time lead blockers in the modern game. 

We're not real good at this "modern" game. Maybe it's time we zagged rather than zigged with current trends. 

Maybe I'm a neandertal but I prefer smash mouth football that dictates the pace to the opponent. Ball control rushing attack with play action passing, solid use of tight ends and a dedicated lead blocker who also has good hands. On defense, I prefer the 4-3.

15 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

Again we had to pass to open up the run. You can’t just do one without the other. The YPA for Chuba was in the low 3s through most of the first half. We started connecting on passes and the defense had to back up. 

Balance. Ability to do either. We are still working on that. 

• Pie 1

If I were GM….

Chuba has been great, but we should have learned our lesson about paying unnecessarily large second contracts to RBs. 

We drafted Brooks as the first RB taken in the draft. Chuba, while great so far this year, is not a RB that will carry us to the playoffs on his back. Plus, they are similar backs. We need a bruiser, so…

Javonte Williams. He and Hubbard are both in the last years of their contract. Denver’s running game has struggled and Chuba could be what they’re looking for since they have a rookie bruiser (Estime) ready to play now. Javonte has been largely disappointing since his injury, but their line and running him into 8 man boxes isn’t helping. I think he would do much better with our OL. 

Brooks starter. Javonte short yardage/red zone. Could probably still net a late pick from the Broncos for the swap, and Javonte would be much cheaper to re-sign, which is very important in our current situation. 

Edited by ECHornet

32 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

If I were GM….

Chuba has been great, but we should have learned our lesson about paying unnecessarily large second contracts to RBs. 

We drafted Brooks as the first RB taken in the draft. Chuba, while great so far this year, is not a RB that will carry us to the playoffs on his back. Plus, they are similar backs. We need a bruiser, so…

Javonte Williams. He and Hubbard are both in the last years of their contract. Denver’s running game has struggled and Chuba could be what they’re looking for since they have a rookie bruiser (Estime) ready to play now. Javonte has been largely disappointing since his injury, but their line and running him into 8 man boxes isn’t helping. I think he would do much better with our OL. 

Brooks starter. Javonte short yardage/red zone. Could probably still net a late pick from the Broncos for the swap, and Javonte would be much cheaper to re-sign, which is very important in our current situation. 

We need a short yardage guy, I feel like they completely dropped the ball on that one. 

I just rewatched the Atlanta game on speed watch looking for some things and not intending to look at Chuba but man, he was looking really good. Shifty, patient, and sticks his foot in the ground and goes when it is time. 

I don't like seeing him go but if this line stays healthy we don't need to give someone generational wealth to run the ball behind them. 

• Beer 1