• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Chuba Hubbard......

kungfoodude

2 hours ago, t96 said:

I do agree but it’s hard to commit to the run when you know the D is going to allow 30+ points a game

Exactly.   That's the problem.  You could say run the ball and it takes the ball out of the other teams hands but that doesn't matter if you can't make a defensive stop.  If they score on almost every drive then it still doesn't matter and you're still going to end up playing from behind and inevitably forced to pass anyways.

Defense is not allowing us to run a balanced attack but it’s nice to see Chuba doing so great.

He’s on pace for 1,400 rushing yards, 5.6 YPC, 9 total TDs, 60+ receptions

Pretty stellar. He’s playing a tad above the average guys that excel behind good lines. He’s a guy.

Makes me wonder how Dan viewed him this past offseason given how they went after Brooks.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah but that is how you control the pace of the game, wear them down and break up their rhythm.

Remember when Wilks did this? That should be what a lot of our gameplans against teams like Atlanta look like. They have bad run defense. Punish them for that.

poo, Atlanta wants to pass too but they were smart enough to keep punishing our bad rush defense.

We were up 7-0 and were running the ball early until things spiraled out of control. Again, I don't disagree at all that we should focus our offense around running the ball but it's damn hard to do with such a terrible defense.

In the modern NFL you just can't base your offense around the run unless you have an elite defense. When you need to score a lot of points these days you do it by passing the ball. The rules are just so favorable for passing offense that if you don't take advantage of it you won't put up big points. Which we need. 

• Pie 1

7 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

.....should be getting a minimum of _________ carries per game.

I'll start: 20

Depends on the O-line. Seriously, three games ago I would have said 20, but now it's a crap shoot with the OL injuries.  They aren't as dominant.

Also, I'm still lukewarm on Hubbard.  A solid #2 RB, but he's not a #1.  When a hole is there, he can hit it.  He's gotten better at breaking tackles and pass catching, but still isn't stellar at either.  My biggest gripe is his lack of vision and shiftiness...a linear runner who needs defined lanes.

Edited by 45catfan

12 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

Defense is not allowing us to run a balanced attack but it’s nice to see Chuba doing so great.

He’s on pace for 1,400 rushing yards, 5.6 YPC, 9 total TDs, 60+ receptions

Pretty stellar. He’s playing a tad above the average guys that excel behind good lines. He’s a guy.

Makes me wonder how Dan viewed him this past offseason given how they went after Brooks.

I've come to be a big fan of Chuba but I'm also pretty excited about Brooks. Chuba is a UFA and playing himself into a big contract (for a RB anyways). If we can get a real good look at Brooks before the trade deadline and he plays well I'd definitely consider trading Chuba to a RB needy team for draft compensation. We need to build up the D badly, and I don't see much reason in the modern NFL to have a double trouble type situation at RB.

Chiefs would be an interesting deadline partner as we potentially have an "abundance" of both WR and RB, 2 areas they are weak in this year due to injuries. I could see us getting a 1st and 3rd or 4th for Chuba and Diontae, who would both be rentals for them and possibly (likely?) guys we won't give big contracts to. But worth it for the Chiefs to help them with the threepeat effort. Could also swap out Thielen for Diontae if we decide to keep him longer term, which is certainly possible the way he's played lately.

Would absolutely suck to either let Chuba/Diontae walk for nothing in free agency or to be forced to overpay them to keep them here, as I can see them wanting out due to us sucking unless we overpay.

1 hour ago, Hoenheim said:

The real question is whether Chubba gets resigned in the off season or not...

Would be nice to sign him to a reasonable deal and pair him up with Brooks for the foreseeable future. But IDK if he's taking any discounts or even wants to come back to Carolina. This might be the only off season where he can get a real bag and I doubted that would be coming from the Panthers after drafting Brooks.

Our priority this off season will probably be locking Horn and possibly Diontae Johsnson up imo. 

I wouldn't put my eggs in the Brooks basket, sight unseen. But, we can't keep diving into the high investment in a RB well either. Ideally we keep Chuba around as our feature back on a reasonable deal.

Horn has not earned an extension, to date. He's been a mixed bag this season and I wouldn't enter any contract discussions with him unless they are at a low figure.

Johnson would be great to keep around but, again, at the correct price. That's if he has any desire to stick around.

3 hours ago, t96 said:

I do agree but it’s hard to commit to the run when you know the D is going to allow 30+ points a game

Id argue the opposite.  Play keep away and rest the liability of a defense.  It helps to keep you from getting down big to begin with.

20 minutes ago, t96 said:

We were up 7-0 and were running the ball early until things spiraled out of control. Again, I don't disagree at all that we should focus our offense around running the ball but it's damn hard to do with such a terrible defense.

In the modern NFL you just can't base your offense around the run unless you have an elite defense. When you need to score a lot of points these days you do it by passing the ball. The rules are just so favorable for passing offense that if you don't take advantage of it you won't put up big points. Which we need. 

But we were within 8 points in the 4th quarter. That is a one possession game.

This is my point, yesterday is a classic example of an opponent that could have been beaten by a rush heavy attack. Don't get me wrong, the parade of penalties and critical errors were impactful too but it was very winnable. That was a bad rushing defense we faced. Statistically one of the worst in the NFL.

I get the situation like the Bears game. That's a better example of what you are talking about. It was out of hand so early that we were shot. Not to mention that is a very good defense against the run, which makes it challenging.

19 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Depends on the O-line. Seriously, three games ago I would have said 20, but now it's a crap shoot with the OL injuries.  They aren't as dominant.

Also, I'm still lukewarm on Hubbard.  A solid #2 RB, but he's not a #1.  When a hole is there, he can hit it.  He's gotten better at breaking tackles and pass catching, but still isn't stellar at either.  My biggest gripe is his lack of vision and shiftiness...a linear runner who needs defined lanes.

I disagree with almost all of this. Even at a reduced capacity on the OL, we were gashing them in the running game(5.18 ypc). 

Chuba is a very capable RB. He may not be Barkley but he isn't Miles Sanders, who is basically what you are describing.

21 minutes ago, t96 said:

I've come to be a big fan of Chuba but I'm also pretty excited about Brooks. Chuba is a UFA and playing himself into a big contract (for a RB anyways). If we can get a real good look at Brooks before the trade deadline and he plays well I'd definitely consider trading Chuba to a RB needy team for draft compensation. We need to build up the D badly, and I don't see much reason in the modern NFL to have a double trouble type situation at RB.

Chiefs would be an interesting deadline partner as we potentially have an "abundance" of both WR and RB, 2 areas they are weak in this year due to injuries. I could see us getting a 1st and 3rd or 4th for Chuba and Diontae, who would both be rentals for them and possibly (likely?) guys we won't give big contracts to. But worth it for the Chiefs to help them with the threepeat effort. Could also swap out Thielen for Diontae if we decide to keep him longer term, which is certainly possible the way he's played lately.

Would absolutely suck to either let Chuba/Diontae walk for nothing in free agency or to be forced to overpay them to keep them here, as I can see them wanting out due to us sucking unless we overpay.

What abundance do we have at WR???