• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How do we feel about Canales

Frank9999

30 minutes ago, bandu said:

the Tampa Bay offense has become considerably better this year 

I think with Canales calling plays last season in Tampa they ranked around 23rd in total offense 

this season they are a top 10 offense 

...just saying 

I said this a couple of weeks ago. Baker has been better since Dave left. Dave was brought here to fix Young not worry about his record and getting an extra win or two with an old azz worn out Dalton that has no future while screwing our draft order in the process. Play Young, it is unwatchable either way. People talking 8 wins with a better D, talking about watchable today. We lost by 18pts to an avg team.

8 minutes ago, SteveSmithTD89 said:

If you take out the 2 games that Bryce started this season and look at our last 4 games (to better judge what Canales wants to do) against Reichs first 6 its not even close.

This years offense leads in all of the following:

Total YPG 359 > 294 

Scoring  22 > 18 ppg

Rushing YPG 130 > 98

Passing YPG 229 > 196

Is it still a small sample size? Yes. 

Are the offensive line and weapons better than 2023? Yes. 

Is this still the worst roster in football? Yes.

Is the 2023 defense on pace to be one of the worst defenses in the history of the NFL? Also yes. 

Canales ain't the reason we're not winning games right now.

If you take out the Bryce games for Canales you got to do it for Frank then.  Frank didn’t want Bryce. 

and garbage Frank pulled off more with Bryce than QB guru Canales 

Patriots have the worst roster in the NFL.  Not us.  Not really close IMO.  And they haven’t lost all their games by double digits.  

I think he is a young coach learning to be a HC and doing the best with what he has been given. I still stand by the notion of if you bring a OC/QB guru in as HC you have to let that guy bring in his own QB. Bryce nor Dalton are on his watch. 

Until Canales can get the pieces to shape his vision it's just hard to judge.

• Pie 1

25 minutes ago, CRA said:

It’s the NFL. Not really about giving HCs coaches huge grace. 

Frank was horrific here. 

Through 6 games, with better offensive tools, this guy hasn’t produced a better O.   At some point, that matters.  And as you said, defenses knew what Frank was doing.  So….

It helps when you look at context. For example our defense scored against the Vikings last year. Which was our only TD, now you go look at the Lions game where the scores came late against prevent defenses. We never won like we did against Oakland in simply dominating another team. Honestly our wins last year were thanks to Evero and our kicker. So far I like how XL, JT, and Coker are developing. We need that more than anything. We also are riddled with injuries this year. I’m good with waiting out Canales for a while…

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, CRA said:

If you take out the Bryce games for Canales you got to do it for Frank then.  Frank didn’t want Bryce. 

and garbage Frank pulled off more with Bryce than QB guru Canales 

Patriots have the worst roster in the NFL.  Not us.  Not really close IMO.  And they haven’t lost all their games by double digits.  

No doubt that Bryce is the coach killer but Frank did get the benefit of year 1 Bryce with no film on him and his deficiencies. 

Those averages got a LOT lower after our Bye week and a big reason why he didn't make it through the season. 

Id think the reason they haven't lost all their games by double digits is their defense, which is why I'd argue they don't have the worst roster in the NFL but that's semantics I guess. 

Offensively though, hard agree. Trash offensive roster full of JAGs.

Enjoy the rest of your evening brother. 

2 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

It helps when you look at context. For example our defense scored against the Vikings last year. Which was our only TD, now you go look at the Lions game where the scores came late against prevent defenses. We never won like we did against Oakland in simply dominating another team. Honestly our wins last year were thanks to Evero and our kicker. So far I like how XL, JT, and Coker are developing. We need that more than anything. We also are riddled with injuries this year. I’m good with waiting out Canales for a while…

Oakland was a perfect storm fluke.   I continue to point to that AZ game.   Been dominated ever since….just like we were after the AZ game. 

I’m not saying he needs to be fired right now.   You obviously give him the season. I’m just open to it after this year if this season is horrible.  And Morgan too.  

7 minutes ago, SteveSmithTD89 said:

No doubt that Bryce is the coach killer but Frank did get the benefit of year 1 Bryce with no film on him and his deficiencies. 

Those averages got a LOT lower after our Bye week and a big reason why he didn't make it through the season. 

Id think the reason they haven't lost all their games by double digits is their defense, which is why I'd argue they don't have the worst roster in the NFL but that's semantics I guess. 

Offensively though, hard agree. Trash offensive roster full of JAGs.

Enjoy the rest of your evening brother. 

I think we have better offensive roster,  they have a better defensive roster. 

overall? In an offensive league I just give the nod to New England as the worst roster 

cheers 

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, CRA said:

Oakland was a perfect storm fluke.   I continue to point to that AZ game.   Been dominated ever since….just like we were after the AZ game. 

I’m not saying he needs to be fired right now.   You obviously give him the season. I’m just open to it after this year if this season is horrible.  And Morgan too.  

Keep firing coaches every year and your roster will keep getting gutted and the cap will stay tight. Let these guys actually try to build a roster the way they want to and see if it works. Hopefully we get some talented players along the way to fall back on. Morgan I’m indifferent on since he was working with Fitt. I like Tillis and Canales is new to this poo show. I’m willing to give him some time and try to build a roster. 

7 minutes ago, CRA said:

I think we have better offensive roster,  they have a better defensive roster. 

overall? In an offensive league I just give the nod to New England as the worst roster 

cheers 

A better defensive roster keeps games closer. It’s how we got our two wins under Reich. We don’t have anywhere near a good enough offensive roster to win shootouts playing with the league’s worst defense. People can’t expect Andy Dalton to score 40 points a game to win these games. Jags defense looks pretty bad too BTW. Their roster isn’t much better than ours either. 

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

Keep firing coaches every year and your roster will keep getting gutted and the cap will stay tight. Let these guys actually try to build a roster the way they want to and see if it works. Hopefully we get some talented players along the way to fall back on. Morgan I’m indifferent on since he was working with Fitt. I like Tillis and Canales is new to this poo show. I’m willing to give him some time and try to build a roster. 

bad hires are bad hires though.  No real point sticking with them just because…

it’s sort of like arguing we should stick with Bryce just because we keep churning through QBs

and yeah, Morgan is a big part of it for me.    Same for Caldwell and others.  Having the the mess fix the mess and never sat right with me. If Tepper would commit to hiring someone to actually run this team….I would 100% support them starting over clean vs sticking with guys just because of our turnover habit 

8 minutes ago, CRA said:

bad hires are bad hires though.  No real point sticking with them just because…

it’s sort of like arguing we should stick with Bryce just because we keep churning through QBs

and yeah, Morgan is a big part of it for me.    Same for Caldwell and others.  Having the the mess fix the mess and never sat right with me. If Tepper would commit to hiring someone to actually run this team….I would 100% support them starting over clean vs sticking with guys just because of our turnover habit 

I think it is going to take most coaches a minute to get us out of this mess. One year isn’t going to show much. I’d at least give him another offseason and see if we are looking better in year 2. Many coaches look bad their first year. Especially if they inherit a mess like the Panthers. You have to have a little patience and now keep starting over every year. 

• Pie 1

It all goes to the decision to sell the future for that little worthless college QB, and then chasing the bad investment with screwing up any hope for a balanced team because they wanted to give him EVERYTHING before being able to admit what they had had done.

And that is Tepper, putting all the chips in on Bryce, again. Offense offense offense. 

Canales, I like him except his whiny voice when he tries to sugarcoat it all with positivity. I think people need t give him the year and an offseason to reflect and adapt. 

Edited by strato