• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How do we feel about Canales

Frank9999

18 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

A better defensive roster keeps games closer. It’s how we got our two wins under Reich. We don’t have anywhere near a good enough offensive roster to win shootouts playing with the league’s worst defense. People can’t expect Andy Dalton to score 40 points a game to win these games. Jags defense looks pretty bad too BTW. Their roster isn’t much better than ours either. 

I remember a thread where it was posited that we could average 20-21 points and win some games. That was never going to come true with this defense. I guess at the time there was hope of stopping the run but that took one game to knock down. 

I was a 'hoper' on that run thing fwiw. 

Edited by strato

Think he’s been impressive this year at time and downright head scratching at others, which is to be expected with a rookie HC. It hard to make a a full determination this year because outside of Raiders he hasn’t been able to run his offense due to always being in a hole from the defense. What he does pre snap is super refreshing, we’ve never had that before. Cam would have won a few MVPs healthy in this offense. 

im excited to see him get better and think year 3 we take the leap if Morgan is the right guy and gets the roster right 

19 hours ago, bandu said:

the Tampa Bay offense has become considerably better this year 

I think with Canales calling plays last season in Tampa they ranked around 23rd in total offense 

this season they are a top 10 offense 

...just saying 

I could be wrong, but I think they basically kept the entire offense together then got Mauch who has been really good so I think that kind of makes sense. If Canales “fixed” Baker, I think logically it makes sense he woundnt suddenly suck when he leaves. 

It's too early to judge but my general thoughts at this moment:

QB: Far too much assumptions to make but on the face of it, this is a demerit for Canales because he was supposed to make BY look better and somehow, he looked the worst he had been. I don't consider this fatal because - at least on my end - Canales should get the chance to get the QB he wants if/when BY is not the answer. Dalton isn't his guy either but he is playing pretty much how he had been playing elsewhere.

Playcalling: A mixed bag. I do like how we’re willing to attack downfield more often, but I think we're overdoing it considering the paramount important of TOP because our defense is utterly putrid and wasting downs on low percentage plays does not sit well with me. This ties into not running the ball enough, sometimes Canales had said we'd be doing. 

Overall scheme: Better than last year, but that's such a low bar. Not sure if what we have connects with the supposed mantra of getting the ball out within 2.x seconds.

Challenges: Nothing egregious that I can recall.

Timeouts: A bit weird at times but also nothing egregious.

Decision making: We've been on the backfoot too often to make a good assessment. Going for it on 4th down is all but a given.

Roster management: More Coker = Good. Ian Thomas = Why?

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, outlaw4 said:

QB: Far too much assumptions to make but on the face of it, this is a demerit for Canales because he was supposed to make BY look better and somehow, he looked the worst he had been. I don't consider this fatal because - at least on my end - Canales should get the chance to get the QB he wants if/when BY is not the answer. Dalton isn't his guy either but he is playing pretty much how he had been playing elsewhere.

Playcalling: A mixed bag. I do like how we’re willing to attack downfield more often, but I think we're overdoing it considering the paramount important of TOP because our defense is utterly putrid and wasting downs on low percentage plays does not sit well with me. This ties into not running the ball enough, sometimes Canales had said we'd be doing. 

Overall scheme: Better than last year, but that's such a low bar. Not sure if what we have connects with the supposed mantra of getting the ball out within 2.x seconds.

Decision making: We've been on the backfoot too often to make a good assessment. Going for it on 4th down is all but a given.

Ian is awful but with Tremble out im not sure what else we could do. Sanders is getting a ton of PT. They obviously hate Franks. 

• Pie 1

18 minutes ago, outlaw4 said:

There are two ways to look at it. He could have been tasked with making Young better OR he could have been tasked to find out if Young is viable. It just a slightly different perspective. Personally I think his career will rest on how he does with the QB he brings in. 

Edited by PanthersGTI
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

48 minutes ago, jb2288 said:

I could be wrong, but I think they basically kept the entire offense together then got Mauch who has been really good so I think that kind of makes sense. If Canales “fixed” Baker, I think logically it makes sense he woundnt suddenly suck when he leaves. 

this season with Liam Coen calling plays in Tampa there is a huge difference from what we seen last season when they were near the  bottom of the league in total offense  & is on pace this season to arguably be the best offense in the NFL  if they keep playing like they did yesterday   when they scored 51 points on the Saints .the offense as a whole looks way  more explosive this season & so does Baker with like you said basically the same exact players from last season

Edited by bandu

1 minute ago, bandu said:

this season with Liam Coen calling plays in Tampa there is a huge difference from what we seen last season when they were near the  bottom of the league in total offense  & is on pace this season to arguably be the best offense in the NFL  if they keep playing like they did yesterday   when they scored 51 points on the Saints .the offense as a whole looks way  more explosive this season & so does Baker with like you said basically the same exact players from last season

Yeah that’s what I’m saying. I would expect their offense to get better if they kept the whole team together and added more pieces in the offseason. Don’t think they lost anyone 

40 minutes ago, outlaw4 said:

is it an overall better scheme? Or were the folks last year just forced to play Bryce Young all season. 

I'd love to be a fly on the wall for when Frank Reich talks about his Carolina days. 

42 minutes ago, CRA said:

is it an overall better scheme? Or were the folks last year just forced to play Bryce Young all season. 

I'd love to be a fly on the wall for when Frank Reich talks about his Carolina days. 

How long was his contract? When that is done, no more NDA in effect, and Bryce will be out of the league - the two factors that keep him from speaking, he would not trash Young while he is in the league. Might not anyway.