• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How do we feel about Canales

Frank9999

7 hours ago, CRA said:

Oakland was a perfect storm fluke.   I continue to point to that AZ game.   Been dominated ever since….just like we were after the AZ game. 

I’m not saying he needs to be fired right now.   You obviously give him the season. I’m just open to it after this year if this season is horrible.  And Morgan too.  

You fire Canales, and that's three fired head coaches in 2 years. Throw away any chance of any of the top coaching prospects and accept that we would have to do another rehash - like a Mike McCarthy, Mike Vrabel, or Bill Belichick, or another young green behind the years coach. Maybe Brian Flores learned some people skills. Poo, we might start interviewing position coaches at that point. The Ben Johnsons and Bobby Slowiks of the coaching pool won't be interested when they have other options.

I think Canales would have to lose the locker room to not get another year, and it seems like the players like him so far.

Edited by Dilla
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 2

12 hours ago, CPantherKing said:

I feel Bryce and Evero stans are trying to blame Canales.

Canales has shown offensive improvement. It's always been and Evero who have held back the team. Canales shows promise, but he has to free himself from Bryce and Evero.

Canales is a good young coach and offensively we moved the ball with Dalton at the helm. I can't remember when our defense has been so decimated by injury. We're playing with rookies, backups and practice squad players. Injuries are not the coaches or GMs fault. 

Canales will grow as a head coach. We don't have the talent to be a contender. If this team was loaded with talent on both sides of the ball than I would be concerned. We built a nice offensive line. Hopefully, DB comes back healthy and we draft studs and sign a top tier edge rusher in 2025 and fix the defense. 

I don't think you can blame Canales for the lack of talent. We're going to have to give him a couple of years. 

I like him and believe once we have a competitive squad he'll prove he's worthy of the position. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

12 hours ago, Hugor Hill said:

so you think that whenever a coach leaves a team, then the players he coached magically go back to what they were before he got there? ok. 

No. I am just wondering if hes really the reason for Baker turnaround 

I really like Canales. I think he is doing a good job. I think he has improved what he was hired to improve. It would be absolutely ridiculous to think about letting him go. Is Canales perfect? No. But he will continue to get better. He is a developing prospect at HC that I see positive development from.

This season was never going to be a winning team but I see some good offensive football. 

He has put us in position to at least see what we have and identify core pieces. 

The decision he made to bench Bryce early earned the most respect from me. Canales knew this season was about evaluation but we couldn't evaluate with Bryce.

Now we can clearly see where the deficiencies are and more importantly where our strengths are. We can identify a direction we need to go personnel wise to improve. The moves that Morgan has made are also showing to be prudent.

With Canales and Morgan I think they have us on the right track and I see this team improving greatly next year after we address the defense. This year we addressed the offense...next year we address the defense.

Eviro on the other hand looks like a bum. I understand that there are talent issues. But guys just being completely out of position...that's coaching.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

8 hours ago, GoobyPls said:

I don’t think his offense is that creative, even in Tampa is relied a lot on Evans and Godwin two all pro receivers making big plays down field. I think given the right personal his offense could be explosive like in Seattle.

when you are still evaluating/rebuilding --- is there a need to be overly creative?

1 hour ago, TheMaulClaw said:

Eviro on the other hand looks like a bum. I understand that there are talent issues. But guys just being completely out of position...that's coaching.

If you fire Evero then that puts the focus squarely on Canales offense struggling to score points.

7 minutes ago, rayzor said:

we don't need to be firing canales or morgan. 

give it a few years and let them build the program.

100%. You have to let these guys attempt to build something before you toss them aside for the next new guy to fix. It’s going to take a while. 

• Pie 1

I am honestly tired of typing out thoughts similar to what I'm about to say, but I still think it holds water. 

This roster stinks. It would take extreme dysfunction for me to have any ill feelings towards Canales right now.

I think Canales has done everything he is capable of doing. He doesn't waste timeouts, his challenges have been solid, he calls a good game, and we are never in positions where play calling is creating delay of game like Mike Shula used to do. He made a tough decision to play Andy, which clearly shows everybody he sees what needs to happen, and isn't afraid to tell Tepper what he thinks. I do think our guys are playing hard, they just aren't capable. 

The only thing he's done that I didn't like is give the starters the preseason off. 

Defense has had so many injuries there's nothing Evero can do. He's proven under multiple head coaches that he's a good coordinator. 

We deserve a lot of criticism, but this is the NFL. You have to have the players and coaches. We absolutely don't have the players. That means we really can't say anything definitive about the coaches. 

Final thought: If we were to fire Canales, even at the end of the season, the "David Tepper is a crazy person you don't want to work for" chatter would get even louder. I don't see it happening this year, or even next. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

I have no real issues with Canales so far. He made the correct call to bench Bryce early and the offense has been solid despite working in some young guys at WR and TE and having a past his prime QB in Dalton.

The defense is what it is; that's a talent issue and I don't put that on Canales or Evero. If anyone deserves the blame it's Dan Morgan, but even then he made the right call to invest in the offense even if it has cost us on defense in the short-term.

I'm certainly not ready to say Canales is THE guy, but I don't think he's a core part of the problem either. He's doing about as well as anyone could reasonably expect given what he has to work with.

We'll see how that changes as we move forward.

• Beer 1