• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How do we feel about Canales

Frank9999

Canales has a poor pass blocking OL, RBs who wouldn't start on another team, WR/TE who wouldn't start on another team, and a QB no one wanted as a back up. He's in his first season and showing improvement on offense.

Evero shows complete implosion with the same issues on defense.

You want to go after the coach improving the team? You want to make excuses only for Evero to get ANOTHER pass?

Evero is failing for his 3rd straight season as DC. Canales is improving in year 1. It's very clear. Stop making excuses for Evero.

4 hours ago, Frank9999 said:

Honestly, what are you guys thinking ? Bucs offense is still good and so is Baker. Makes you wonder if it had a thing to do with him. 

so you think that whenever a coach leaves a team, then the players he coached magically go back to what they were before he got there? ok. 

• Beer 1

10 minutes ago, Hugor Hill said:

so you think that whenever a coach leaves a team, then the players he coached magically go back to what they were before he got there? ok. 

the Tampa Bay offense has become considerably better this year 

I think with Canales calling plays last season in Tampa they ranked around 23rd in total offense 

this season they are a top 10 offense 

...just saying 

At this point, I can't say one way or another. The offense as a whole has shown significant improvement since last season, mainly due to the line and benching bryce, but he's still producing well designed plays and we are scoring points (aside from last week) and being aggressive. Our biggest issue right now is talent.

We have none. This is like last season but switched where one side of the ball is so devoid of talent the other struggles due to it. This year the offense is solid if not spectacular, but props for Canales for pointing that side of the ball in the right direction. Our issue is the Defense, who was thin to begin with due to gutting that side in order to sure up the offense to try and aid Bryce, and then having all the marginal to solid talent get injured every single game. We are down to our 3rd and 4th string MLBs, our 2nd and 3rd DEs, our 4th and 5th OLBs. Our front 7 is filled with backups and practice squad level players.

So I really don't know at this point. It is too early to tell. This year is a freebie for me with him. If we come out next year with a few more pieces on the defensive side of the ball, our young receivers get better and our linemen get healthy and we show improvement, I'm good. From the outset I said this was going to be like Dan Campbell's year 1. We have so much that needs to get fixed that whatever we did this offseason wouldn't be enough. We have no talent and no depth behind that lack of talent thanks to the return of Hurney, Rhule, and Fitterer.

44 minutes ago, CPantherKing said:

Canales has a poor pass blocking OL, RBs who wouldn't start on another team, WR/TE who wouldn't start on another team, and a QB no one wanted as a back up. He's in his first season and showing improvement on offense.

looking just 6 games in…

Canales has a much better OL than Frank.  Better skill talent than Frank.  A better QB overall through the 6 games….

and his O isn’t statistically better through 6 games than Frank was through 6. 

1 minute ago, CRA said:

looking just 6 games in…

Canales had a much better OL than Frank.  Better skill talent than Frank.  A better QB overall through the 6 games….

Frank wasn’t a first time HC. He was an old vet. I’m more patient with a new guy who appears much less stubborn. I don’t have to see WR screen to AT over and over while listening to defenders tell the press they knew our plays and just sat on the routes. 

He doesn't coach the defense and made the ballsy (and correct) choice to bench Bryce after 2 games. 

Not sure wtf more you could ask out of a first year coach at this point in the season. 

We've been in the last 2/3 games with Andy at QB this season and won the first. If this defense could get more than 2 stops a game we'd probably have beaten Atlanta and Cincinnati. 

The offense shouldn't have to play perfect football and score every possession to have a chance to win the game. 

We've got a ton of problems and holes to fill going into the off-season/draft next year but I feel pretty comfortable (and relieved) in saying that Head Coach is not one of those. 

4 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Frank wasn’t a first time HC. He was an old vet. I’m more patient with a new guy who appears much less stubborn. I don’t have to see WR screen to AT over and over while listening to defenders tell the press they knew our plays and just sat on the routes. 

It’s the NFL. Not really about giving HCs coaches huge grace. 

Frank was horrific here. 

Through 6 games, with better offensive tools, this guy hasn’t produced a better O.   At some point, that matters.  And as you said, defenses knew what Frank was doing.  So….

4 hours ago, CPantherKing said:

I feel Bryce and Evero stans are trying to blame Canales.

Canales has shown offensive improvement. It's always been Bryce and Evero who have held back the team. Canales shows promise, but he has to free himself from Bryce and Evero.

They all 3 can be trash. 

7 minutes ago, CRA said:

looking just 6 games in…

Canales has a much better OL than Frank.  Better skill talent than Frank.  A better QB overall through the 6 games….

If you take out the 2 games that Bryce started this season and look at our last 4 games (to better judge what Canales wants to do) against Reichs first 6 its not even close.

This years offense leads in all of the following:

Total YPG 359 > 294 

Scoring  22 > 18 ppg

Rushing YPG 130 > 98

Passing YPG 229 > 196

Is it still a small sample size? Yes. 

Are the offensive line and weapons better than 2023? Yes. 

Is this still the worst roster in football? Yes.

Is the 2023 defense on pace to be one of the worst defenses in the history of the NFL? Also yes. 

Canales ain't the reason we're not winning games right now.

6 minutes ago, Day1PanthersFan said:

Can't judge any player or coach knowing Teppo the clown is pulling the strings 

Andy Ried and Patrick Mahomes couldn't win here 

We are a destroyed dysfunctional franchise with no hope untill we get a new owner 

I mean, those 2 could win here.

Tepper’s issue is he employs horrible GMs and bad HCs.  Over and over.  And that becomes a compounding issue.  

Rhule, Frank and likely Canales….are just bad to weak hires.  And you really knew that going in to all 3.  Same with his GMs.  And the GMs/HCs all compound the QB issue over and over.  

Tepper needs to turn this team over.  Completely.  Hire someone to run it and hire for it.  All he should be doing is showing up in his box to watch games