• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2025 Draft: Some New QBs Emerging

MHS831

Hello sports fans,

I realize that we are less than bedazzled by the options at QB for the 2025 draft.  Ewers is hurt a lot.  Beck has shown signs of that great college Georgia QB who never makes it in the NFL, Sanders has good games but when pressured, he is suspect--and then there is the entitlement and entitlement's "agent" that makes him less appealing--so for a moment, let's take them off the board temporarily, and let me take 2 QBs off my board permanantly:  Milroe and Dart.  (This is October 12, 2024--it could change, obviously)

Here is how I ranked them going into the weekend, before I did a bunch of highly-scientific research that involved technology. 

1.  Cam Ward:  I think his stock will keep rising, but he has played well in some close games.  Ward is not in a lot of top 3 QB boards, but if I had to draft one right now, Ward might be my guy.

2. Quinn Ewers:  My biggest concern is the injury history, and my second biggest concern is that he has played well with stud WRs, a stud RB, and a good TE (last year) and he has a good LT.  How good is he beyond that?  I dunno. 

3. Shedur Sanders:  Tremendous upside.  I am not sure playing for his dad was the best for him, and I am not sure that he is smart in the pocket, although he is listed as a pocket qb. 

4. Carson Beck:  Nice size and he has shown some weakness and some upside in Georgia's rocky season.  The game with Texas will tell us a lot about both QBs.

So who are these new guys that rattled my top 4? 

1.  Will Howard, Ohio State:  After four sub 60% completion percentage years at KSU, Howard has been sharp.  And despite his poor decision on the last play of the Oregon game, he was sharp and made good decisions.  He lost his cool after the game, which I interpret as fire and not a problem.  At 6'4" 235, he is a big qb and he has some solid movement skills in the pocket--not a running qb, but a QB that can run when he has to and he is smart about it.  Throws a good ball, makes good decisions. 

2. Kurtis Rourke, Indiana:  Another big QB at 6'5" and 230, Rourke has Indiana at 6-0 and has surpassed his stats during his four years at Ohio University.  A pure pocket passer, he could be really good behind a really good OL and in front of a really good RB or two. The thing that impresses me about Rourke?  He is doing this at INDIANA--not Texas, not Georgia, not Ohio State.  WARNING:  He is Canadian, so he knows nothing about bacon.

3. Drew Allar, Penn State:  Another biggun  at 6'5" 240, Allar is a Junior and has not been that effective until this season, where it seems the light has come on.  He seems to be accurate and makes good decisions.  He has been sacked once per game on average, and he had his worst game (3 picks--one was a hail mary) vs USC, a game PSU won in overtime in LA. 

POINT? 

We could have six qbs from which to choose.  Here is how I would rank them RIGHT NOW in terms of who might be best for the Panthers, and yes, if we have #1 overall, I would trade back and take one of these: 

1. Ward (his passing yardage has been really impressive, and Miami is 6-0.  However, I am still not sold on him and do not have him ranked much above Sanders.  I'd give him a top 10 grade right now, not that he is a top 10 player, but there will be qbs going early)

2. Sanders (As much as I do not want to see him here, he has the most upside and is probably developed enough to start day 1.  I think he will go in the top 5, based on the hype and genetics)

3.  Rourke (anybody who can take Indiana and win 6 games is able to perform with lesser surrounding talent.  It is like winning a race against Corvettes with a Malibu--perhaps my dark horse favorite--he may drop into round 1--if Indy continues to play well, he could be as high as a top 15 player--mark my words!!)

4. Allar (he just seems to get it--and he is a year or two younger than the others.  He is having a nice start--if it continues, he will be a first round draft pick--top 25 or so)

5. Ewers (The injuries just don't warrant a higher ranking--he' be #1 or #2 without his injury history-Ewers will probably be overdrafted--he could fall anywhere from top 15 pick to an early second rounder--if he gets injured again, he might become a third rounder)

5. (tie)  Will Howard  (The jury is still out a bit, but I was impressed with his leadership and accuracy.  Running a Chip Kelly offense could be a problem for some QBs--need to do more research--I think Howard does not go in round 1, which makes him a great developmental pick for day 2)

7. Carson Beck (I want to like him, but if you struggle at Georgia as he has at times, it makes you wonder if the makeup is sliding off the face of the homecoming queen and you realize that she is not hot, just another face. He will be overdrafted because he is on a good team.  I think he is drafted top 20. )

I haven't watched Rourke play. 5th year senior, is he a guy similar to say a Jayden Daniels? It doesn't look like he is a one year wonder, he has had strong years in the past as well. I like Allar, I think he could be a real star if he continues to develop. Bit kid and throws a pretty ball.

• Pie 2

Allar has a cannon which is nice.  Unsure if he's really shown anything extra to make me feel like he could command a pro offense, but he's had nice moments.  He doesn't dink/dunk, he throws intermediate and deep more than others.  Definitely a guy to keep an eye on.  

21 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

Allar has a cannon which is nice.  Unsure if he's really shown anything extra to make me feel like he could command a pro offense, but he's had nice moments.  He doesn't dink/dunk, he throws intermediate and deep more than others.  Definitely a guy to keep an eye on.  

I think he’s slow to process/release which is probably the last thing you want to see out of a prospect but tools wise it’s all there obviously 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, *FreeFua* said:

I think he’s slow to process/release which is probably the last thing you want to see out of a prospect but tools wise it’s all there obviously 

His mechanics look pretty crisp to me, release looks solid with a beaut of an arm.  But if you're saying more about how long he takes to get through his reads, I can see that.  Seems a tad hesitant and plays a bit more mistake averse vs. risk taking/big play throws.  

I do like that he's gotten comfortable with as needed scrambles.  He's not that mobile but he can move around and has the frame to move the pile/isn't some statue.

6'5 235 with a cannon is hard to ignore for me but he needs to get a bit more of an edge/be a field pusher.   

• Pie 1