• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

0:26 / 21:08 Carolina Panthers and Dave Canales must evaluate Ejiro Evero as defensive coordinator

jayboogieman

The only thing here is that is easier to draft, scheme, and plug free agents into a 4-3. Other than that, Evero is currently not the biggest issue. I think this is a thinly veiled shot at the 3-4 witch is becoming a sticking point of Panther content creators. 

33 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Not yet for sure but if they can bring someone in short term to try and squeeze any positives out of that unit after a few more weeks of the coaching we saw on Sunday then I wouldn't be against it. That's not even scapegoating, it's just getting a better evaluation on a guy who is obviously going to get fired anyways. The season was over before it started, some people just couldn't see that either. I know you were not one of those. I just don't see why you can't see the value in a different angle of evaluation by moving on from Evero if this continues. It doesn't fix anything but it does give a wider evaluation to the guys here by handing it over to someone else and saying 'do something, do anything' with that unit for the back half of the season. 

Evero was coaching down to DC's level on Sunday. Both had 12 man penalties, both had a bad game strategy and both didn't adjust squat that I could see (I know it's me and that bar isn't high). There is no way a DC on a historically bad D isn't part of the problem. That should be obvious. In season firing seems justifiable if he can't coach up guys to just look talentless and not talentless while also being poorly coached. 

Well there isn't going to be a real benefit to making the move midseason other than to make this an even more less attractive spot than it already is. 

There isn't going to be any real improvement even if we did. What evaluation is there to be made? On a bunch of PS players?

Just let it be what it is and when the season is over evaluate what you want to do moving forward.

• Pie 2

5 minutes ago, Panther53521 said:

Has anyone thought that Evero just does not want to be here? He was forced to stay here, when he could have found a good job.

i think he just wants out of this dumpster fire. Then he can rebuild his reputation 

That's basically saying he has no competitive drive or pride in his work. I don't think you are gonna see many scenarios in the NFL like that. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Probably would have been more useful to evaluate him last year... You can throw any DC you want to out there to coach this defense and the results would be similarly awful.

Honestly, I don't think half of our starters on defense would be good enough for any other NFL team's practice squad. 

Edited by PleaseCutStewart

2 minutes ago, PleaseCutStewart said:

Probably would have been more useful to evaluate him last year... You can throw any DC you want to out there to coach this defense and the results would be similarly awful.

Honestly, I don't think half of our starters on defense would be good enough for any other NFL team's practice squad. 

Well he tried to leave and we blocked the interviews soooo....

• Pie 1
  • Beer 3

1 hour ago, gakonline said:

Not a big fan of Evero and not sure what all the hype was when he was hired. He plays a bland basic defense that relies on better than average players. I don’t not see hardly any adjustments during games and always playing soft zones. Yea last year, the defense did not allow many yards but yards don’t count against the final score. 

I would much rather see an aggressive defense. If you get beat, you get beat but the aggressiveness will also give you more sacks and turnovers. 

Well, unfortunately when Bryce allows the opposing team's offense to probably on average start at our 40 yard line, you are going to have a hard time keeping teams from scoring.

Not sure if he is great or not, but people acting like some other DC coming into this poo show of a defense and magically making it anything better are delusional.

And sure, we can blitz 6 or 7... All that means is that we will have 6/7 guys still not reach the QB because literally nobody can rush the passer while having no help back on defense because we are blitzing. In short, there is nothing that can be done scheme-wise to make this defense good

3 minutes ago, PleaseCutStewart said:

Well, unfortunately when Bryce allows the opposing team's offense to probably on average start at our 40 yard line, you are going to have a hard time keeping teams from scoring.

Not sure if he is great or not, but people acting like some other DC coming into this poo show of a defense and magically making it anything better are delusional.

And sure, we can blitz 6 or 7... All that means is that we will have 6/7 guys still not reach the QB because literally nobody can rush the passer while having no help back on defense because we are blitzing. In short, there is nothing that can be done scheme-wise to make this defense good

Yeah, you guys need look at how badly we fare when we blitz. It's rough.

• Pie 2

48 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Well there isn't going to be a real benefit to making the move midseason other than to make this an even more less attractive spot than it already is. 

There isn't going to be any real improvement even if we did. What evaluation is there to be made? On a bunch of PS players?

Just let it be what it is and when the season is over evaluate what you want to do moving forward.

Maybe they can raid other PSs and find some upgrades. Tjat seems plausable given their aquisition choices. I also don't know how they can make this less of a desirable spot either. It was alread at the pay premiums to have anyone come here anyways. Given it's Tepper's money I'm not against him wasting more of it.

24 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Maybe they can raid other PSs and find some upgrades. Tjat seems plausable given their aquisition choices. I also don't know how they can make this less of a desirable spot either. It was alread at the pay premiums to have anyone come here anyways. Given it's Tepper's money I'm not against him wasting more of it.

Listen, when you are talking raiding practice squads for starters, the game is up. It's all over.

There is no urgency to making this better. It's time to just ride it out and until the offseason.

Last week was the first week I saw a glimpse of give up ball. Yes, they got their teeth kicked in. How they respond this week will be very telling for me.

Big wins are frequently followed by big losses in sports. NFL no exception. The inverse is true as well. Whether that occurs this Sunday is yet to be seen. Probably not.

I’m expecting to give up no less than 30 points but just as my judging of Young at the start of the season… I need to see HOW it looks.

Judging Evero right now… not really possible, IMHO. Both sides have legit arguments; both are equally valid. 

If I see swarming to the ball, sound tackling and trying for the fumble.., promising. We won’t generate pass rush, nor will we stop the run so I’ve stopped hoping for it to happen. I just need to see men playing for their pride at this point. Give up ball speaks volumes. 

8 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Listen, when you are talking raiding practice squads for starters, the game is up. It's all over.

There is no urgency to making this better. It's time to just ride it out and until the offseason.

It not over because they can't just forfeit the rest of the games. Same take when young was playing and people said there was no reason to play Dalton. Well turns out there were reasons even if winning isn't one of them. I look at this the same way. Evero is part of the problem, he isn't building a damn thing here, he already wanted out and it would be good to get a look without him. A couple more games like the last one and it's even justified.

6 minutes ago, Waldo said:

It not over because they can't just forfeit the rest of the games. Same take when young was playing and people said there was no reason to play Dalton. Well turns out there were reasons even if winning isn't one of them. I look at this the same way. Evero is part of the problem, he isn't building a damn thing here, he already wanted out and it would be good to get a look without him. A couple more games like the last one and it's even justified.

Sure but there is no magical new starting defense out there to be gained.

We don't want to fall into the same Rhule/Fitterer trap again and freak out to make a bunch of personnel moves that borrow from the future to "fix" the now.

It is what it is. Embrace the suck and evaluate people for 2025.

Good coaching can make something out of nothing.

The defense was overrated last year for those that even care to look.

People forget that Evero took over the defense in Denver following Vic Fangio

He was on a staff in LA surrounded with coaching and playing talent. 

He was allowed to bring over nearly his entire staff from Denver and nearly a dozen guys that he had coached before since his system is so "complex."

Not saying he needs to deliver a top 10 defense, but good coaches find ways to make the best of their situation. McDermott used to preach about simplifying the defense and focusing on the basics, all we hear with Evero is how complex people think his system is.

Missed tackles, arm tackles, poor technique, and lack of communication in the secondary tells me the coaching is focused on other things and there should be a focus on the more fundamental items.

Edited by ProcessBlue2