• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

0:26 / 21:08 Carolina Panthers and Dave Canales must evaluate Ejiro Evero as defensive coordinator

jayboogieman

1 minute ago, Waldo said:

I said a chunk of it. I have also blamed DM for his part as well as the years if poo show before. He is so overhyped here. He absolutely deserves plenty of the blame.

He has been in charge of his unit with 2 offensive HCs who were not very interested in being hands on with his unit. That was supposed to be his bag, taking care of the D so the HC can focus on the O. It appears he isn't a good talent evaluator and I'm not convinced he is a guy to build a D because of that.

And that may prove to be true. But until we invest substantial resources into fixing the defense, I am not going to call for his head.

Not a big fan of Evero and not sure what all the hype was when he was hired. He plays a bland basic defense that relies on better than average players. I don’t not see hardly any adjustments during games and always playing soft zones. Yea last year, the defense did not allow many yards but yards don’t count against the final score. 

I would much rather see an aggressive defense. If you get beat, you get beat but the aggressiveness will also give you more sacks and turnovers. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

And that may prove to be true. But until we invest substantial resources into fixing the defense, I am not going to call for his head.

It's week 6. A couple more weeks of bad coaching and I would then be fine with it. I am not impressed with his coaching.

Again it's the same as last year. One guy looks bad but it's not what it looks like because the situation isn't perfect? 1. You can know by what we have seen when you look at it big picture. Not 100% but enough to see which way this is going. 2. There are tendencies like the lack of pressure even when the D was healthy. 3. They keep targeting guys who shouldn't be here and that's in the last 2 years he has been here in charge of that side. Last year everyone had a voice and this year it's a supper green offensive HC that's to consumed with learning and running his unit. You really belive he didn't come back to this poo show without more input than last year?

He isn't the guy to be building a D. He looks like a guy who can take over a good D and not immediately implode. That's what he looks like to me.

• Point out that Eviro took over a good defense in Denver
  • Not sure they like the scheme
  • Points out that the Panthers don't seem able to stop the run when playing the 3-4
  • Goes on to talk about Chubba needing more carries
  • Joke about the Panthers releasing their sack leader twice so far this season
  • Beer 1

10 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins Ph.D. said:

So in 2023 we have a decent enough defense. 

Lets remove Shaq Thompson, Derrick Brown, Frankie Luvu, Brian Burns, Von Bell, Donte Jackson, Yetur Gross-Matos, and Jeremy Chinn and see how we do. 

I am not sure Evero is the problem..... 

It really wasn't. Offenses scored at will. With the bad field position and Young led offense they didn't need more yards. That was always a mirage and not an achievement. If they needed more they wouldn't have taken their foot off the gas in so many games so early.

Also some of those guys left because they didn't want to return here which also says something...

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, gakonline said:

Not a big fan of Evero and not sure what all the hype was when he was hired. He plays a bland basic defense that relies on better than average players. I don’t not see hardly any adjustments during games and always playing soft zones. Yea last year, the defense did not allow many yards but yards don’t count against the final score. 

I would much rather see an aggressive defense. If you get beat, you get beat but the aggressiveness will also give you more sacks and turnovers. 

We dropped from 26th and 27th in the NFL in TO's forced the previous two years to 32nd last year(currently 16th this year).

We dropped from 39 sacks and 35 sacks in the previous two years to 27 sacks last season(on pace for 21 sacks this year). 

Also if you look at the stats when we Blitz versus don't blitz over the past two seasons, we get ANNIHILATED in the passing game versus running our normal scheme. I mean, it is fuging UGLY the difference. Also generate way more sacks.

10 minutes ago, Waldo said:

It's week 6. A couple more weeks of bad coaching and I would then be fine with it. I am not impressed with his coaching.

Again it's the same as last year. One guy looks bad but it's not what it looks like because the situation isn't perfect? 1. You can know by what we have seen when you look at it big picture. Not 100% but enough to see which way this is going. 2. There are tendencies like the lack of pressure even when the D was healthy. 3. They keep targeting guys who shouldn't be here and that's in the last 2 years he has been here in charge of that side. Last year everyone had a voice and this year it's a supper green offensive HC that's to consumed with learning and running his unit. You really belive he didn't come back to this poo show without more input than last year?

He isn't the guy to be building a D. He looks like a guy who can take over a good D and not immediately implode. That's what he looks like to me.

There is literally no point in firing him this season. The season is long gone. It was over before it started.

If they want to evaluate him after the season, so be it but firing him mid-season isn't going to net any benefits that actually impact the game outcomes. This is a historically bad defense. That's who they are.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

35 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

There's no grit in this team and certainly no teeth left in this defense. There's no personnel, there's no scheme, there's no fight in these guys. 

Fight??? Sheeeit. We are down to the "just happy to be here" MFers on that side of the ball.

• Pie 4

The scheme and play calling can't cover for the lack of talent but what shouldn't be overlooked is that Evero evidently played a major role in the defensive acquisitions. He may be an alright DC but if he sticks around he shouldn't be a part of the scouting process and honestly it's hard to rationalize keeping a coach around who can't contribute to the personnel discussions. It's just part of the job. Like you're the one running this side of the ball. You need to be able to communicate and help identify the types of players you're looking for.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

There is literally no point in firing him this season. The season is long gone. It was over before it started.

If they want to evaluate him after the season, so be it but firing him mid-season isn't going to net any benefits that actually impact the game outcomes. This is a historically bad defense. That's who they are.

Not yet for sure but if they can bring someone in short term to try and squeeze any positives out of that unit after a few more weeks of the coaching we saw on Sunday then I wouldn't be against it. That's not even scapegoating, it's just getting a better evaluation on a guy who is obviously going to get fired anyways. The season was over before it started, some people just couldn't see that either. I know you were not one of those. I just don't see why you can't see the value in a different angle of evaluation by moving on from Evero if this continues. It doesn't fix anything but it does give a wider evaluation to the guys here by handing it over to someone else and saying 'do something, do anything' with that unit for the back half of the season. 

Evero was coaching down to DC's level on Sunday. Both had 12 man penalties, both had a bad game strategy and both didn't adjust squat that I could see (I know it's me and that bar isn't high). There is no way a DC on a historically bad D isn't part of the problem. That should be obvious. In season firing seems justifiable if he can't coach up guys to just look talentless and not talentless while also being poorly coached. 

• Pie 1