• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

0:26 / 21:08 Carolina Panthers and Dave Canales must evaluate Ejiro Evero as defensive coordinator

jayboogieman

6 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

This is 21 minutes and I haven't watched yet, so no cliff notes from me.

The Panthers should stop with the knee jerk reactions. The guy has a defense with an old ass clowney as his best pass rusher.

Firing evero is not going to save our season. 

• Pie 2

Evero's guys are a big part of the tallent issues. The D was also not good last year just like Young was a big part of the problem.

We can and should do better than Evero. Saying a chunk of this doesn't fall at his feet is some 2024 copium. Just go hire Sleigh and watch it start improving with this perpetually crappy built roster.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Evero's guys are a big part of the tallent issues. The D was also not good last year just like Young was a big part of the problem.

We can and should do better than Evero. Saying a chunk of this doesn't fall at his feet is some 2024 copium. Just go hire Sleigh and watch it start improving with this perpetually crappy built roster.

Changing to a scheme we are less suited to run won't improve anything.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Waldo said:

We don't know if it's a Evero issue or not in terms of talent evaluation. Perhaps he has the power to "pick his guys" or perhaps he doesn't.

I am not here singing the man's praises but I also don't see how you can blame FO moves on him. If the DC is responsible for drafting and free agency moves, WTF are Dan and Co. doing?

But the point still stands, what DC in the NFL are you going to drop into this situation and it substantially improve? 

The overwhelmingly biggest issue is talent. As our defensive talent has steadily declined over the past few years, so has our defense.

poo, you know when the last time we finished in the upper half of the league in both Yds against and Points Against was? 2017.

We have been in the upper half of the NFL in yards against in 2023, 2021 and 2018.

So a lot of these issues span several coordinators. The one constant is that we haven't drafted well during that time span. That's why our current defensive core is Derrick Brown and HOPEFULLY Jaycee Horn. Beyond that, none of these guys are core players. Few of them will be around in 2 seasons.

If Evero gets fired that will be more about Canales attempting to deflect blame and flounder than anything else.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 2

19 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

This board is confusing.

Last season Evero was the only bright spot in the season.

This year he's the scapegoat with a terrible no name, no talent defense. We let his 2 best pass rushers leave Burns/Luvu. What else did we expect to happen?

Once again this is a talent issue. Just look at this defense and how bad they are at tackling. Coaching is not a issue this year I like both Canales and Evero. We simply need to add talent on defense.

No, some of us last year were pointing out that our defense only looked good if you looked at the total yards allowed per game and that there were MAJOR issues with that. Opposing offenses were generally playing with short fields and/or had the game locked up so early they were just running the ball to eat the clock and didn't have to worry about further scoring, or even making first downs, as they would soon get the ball back anyway.

Players were constantly out of place (greatly attributed to Shaq Thompson not being on the field due to injury) and even with the much vaunted (and overly hyped) Brian Burns we just couldn't generate pressure or turnovers (not that we could do much with them anyway). 

Evero, last season, was just the least lousy coaching situation we had in the building, which wasn't saying much. I believe he was kept in an attempt to build some sort of continuity on the team considering the shaky recent history.

And this year, major injuries have again plagued the team and our defense is decimated to the point where the deficiencies in our team building haven't just been exposed, but they've been left with nothing left to hide behind or excuse.

There's no grit in this team and certainly no teeth left in this defense. There's no personnel, there's no scheme, there's no fight in these guys. 

• Pie 4

Just now, kungfoodude said:

We don't know if it's a Evero issue or not in terms of talent evaluation. Perhaps he has the power to "pick his guys" or perhaps he doesn't.

I am not here singing the man's praises but I also don't see how you can blame FO moves on him. If the DC is responsible for drafting and free agency moves, WTF are Dan and Co. doing?

But the point still stands, what DC in the NFL are you going to drop into this situation and it substantially improve? 

The overwhelmingly biggest issue is talent. As our defensive talent has steadily declined over the past few years, so has our defense.

poo, you know when the last time we finished in the upper half of the league in both Yds against and Points Against was? 2017.

We have been in the upper half of the NFL in yards against in 2023, 2021 and 2018.

So a lot of these issues span several coordinators. The one constant is that we haven't drafted well during that time span. That's why our current defensive core is Derrick Brown and HOPEFULLY Jaycee Horn. Beyond that, none of these guys are core players. Few of them will be around in 2 seasons.

If Evero gets fired that will be more about Canales attempting to deflect blame and flounder than anything else.

I said a chunk of it. I have also blamed DM for his part as well as the years if poo show before. He is so overhyped here. He absolutely deserves plenty of the blame.

He has been in charge of his unit with 2 offensive HCs who were not very interested in being hands on with his unit. That was supposed to be his bag, taking care of the D so the HC can focus on the O. It appears he isn't a good talent evaluator and I'm not convinced he is a guy to build a D because of that.