• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Give Morgan Credit

kungfoodude

1 hour ago, WhoKnows said:

Man, it’s like we always completely ignore the 2014-2017 OL as if it never existed. I think it’s the whole LT syndrome.

Gettleman was far from perfect but he did some decent work at OL. In 5 drafts, he got Turner, Moton, Williams and Norwell while adding Remmers (I know but he started 54 games for other teams), Oher and Speed Bump in FA. He started and ended with Ryan at C.

When you draft Moton and 3 others that get pro-bowls or 1st/2nd team all pros, that’s a decent job in 5 drafts. Our cap space also was terrible to start so it was draft and dumpster diving before adding speed bump. No $153M for two guards.

Morgan won’t have “fixed” the OL IMHO until we draft a starting C and RT replacement. We can’t fix this team in FA. We need rookies becoming above average/impact starters.

Gettleman believed in hog mollies for sure but he is often remembered for his massive failures in that realm than his successes.

He was never truly able to put together a line as solid as this, IMO. He got close on more than one occasion but there always seemed to be some crippling hole he couldn't fill.

• Pie 2

We have the third most expensive offensive line in the league based on salary cap allocation and we're still a bottom 5 team at best.

We traded up for both of our first two picks in this years draft and so far one of them has yet to even see the field and the other is TBD at best.

The only thing Morgan should get "credit" for at this point is simply showing up to work. Everything else is up in the air.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

8 minutes ago, frankw said:

We have the third most expensive offensive line in the league based on salary cap allocation and we're still a bottom 5 team at best.

We traded up for both of our first two picks in this years draft and so far one of them has yet to even see the field and the other is TBD at best.

The only thing Morgan should get "credit" for at this point is simply showing up to work. Everything else is up in the air.

I have a funny feeling we are completely starting over in 3 years. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Gettleman believed in hog mollies for sure but he is often remembered for his massive failures in that realm than his successes.

He was never truly able to put together a line as solid as this, IMO. He got close on more than one occasion but there always seemed to be some crippling hole he couldn't fill.

Gettlegut found the best UDFA in panthers history in norwell(whom became the highest paid OG for a time), that was 3-4 years of cheap all-pro play and could or should have gotten a 3rd comp after he left.(ithink they did)

He also drafted tri turner, who was the same all-pro level play and cheap since he was a 3rd rounder. He got his bag and got ultra lazy.

He re-sign ryan kalil, I believe two times. He was know for replacing players, but made sure to pay kalil.

He drafted dwilliams which was as solid at RT. you couldnt ask more form a 4th rounder.

He drafted Motown whom is still here collecting massive checks.....

Now comes the LT mess. he gets blame too much for Bell and chandler. I ask who left him with NO i mean no cap space?? I will say he forced gross out too soon, but gross doesnt like to eat like a LT and he was already retired. He tried with the joke of player in Matt kalil with guess whos blessing, injuries and bruised eye lash later he was like gross and done with pro-ball. He truly found a LT in Michael Oher, he was still young 27 years and above average, then terrible luck with a serve concussion.  

As for overall handling the OL, i give gettlegut a solid B. There was no better IOL for nearly 3 years than norwell-kalil-turner. Williams into Motown is solid as RT goes. LT.......did I mention the IOL??

Edited by Basbear
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

crazy to me the plan at center was a guy coming off back to back season ending injuries, switching positions, and on the last year of his contract anyway

while you could have landed a guy in the 2nd that would have been our next Ryan Kalil and locked up the position for the next 10+ years but decided to go with an injured RB instead

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

5 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Eh, I’m not super impressed with the build versus the results. The OL has been solid and hopefully stays solid without Corbett. The 2015 line was considered top 2 to Dallas in pretty much every OL discussion and top 5 at worst. If we had a young healthy Stewart, we’d probably give them way more credit.

Also, the D (except bad attempts) wasn’t completely ignored by Gettleman because we spent $153M on two guards. Gettleman spent 1 3rd and 1 UDFA to fill out a really solid IOL around Kalil. Oher and Remmers cost very little. Williams was a 4th rounder and unfortunately he and Oher got hurt badly. Moton was the largest expense as a 2nd rounder and he’s still on the team. I think Gettleman did just as well with less capital. Again DG was not a good GM but I think he put a solid OL together without using much.

Morgan really just paid a ton for two guards inserted into 3 guys already set as starters. Good call but not exactly amazing value. His call on Corbett was unfortunately wrong as he once again didn’t make it through the season and the best C available in the draft is doing great in Pittsburgh.

I’m not going to call that a great build yet when we’re spending $65M a year in average salary on the OL and also spent a 6th overall pick. We need the answer at C and RT. We can’t spend $65M every year on the OL and we have nothing on the bench that will be a solid NFL starter.

Edited by WhoKnows
  • Pie 2

1 hour ago, WhoKnows said:

Eh, I’m not super impressed with the build versus the results. The OL has been solid and hopefully stays solid without Corbett. The 2015 line was considered top 2 to Dallas in pretty much every OL discussion and top 5 at worst. If we had a young healthy Stewart, we’d probably give them way more credit.

Also, the D (except bad attempts) wasn’t completely ignored by Gettleman because we spent $153M on two guards. Gettleman spent 1 3rd and 1 UDFA to fill out a really solid IOL around Kalil. Oher and Remmers cost very little. Williams was a 4th rounder and unfortunately he and Oher got hurt badly. Moton was the largest expense as a 2nd rounder and he’s still on the team. I think Gettleman did just as well with less capital. Again DG was not a good GM but I think he put a solid OL together without using much.

Morgan really just paid a ton for two guards inserted into 3 guys already set as starters. Good call but not exactly amazing value. His call on Corbett was unfortunately wrong as he once again didn’t make it through the season and the best C available in the draft is doing great in Pittsburgh.

I’m not going to call that a great build yet when we’re spending $65M a year in average salary on the OL and also spent a 6th overall pick. We need the answer at C and RT. We can’t spend $65M every year on the OL and we have nothing on the bench that will be a solid NFL starter.

Yeah, much like Gettleman had to dig out of the cap mess created by Hurney 1.0, Morgan is going to have to navigate the mess that Rhule/Fitterer left in terms of an utterly talent devoid roster.

Hard to say how it will turn out, after all, Gettleman also ended up not only authoring some of the biggest free agency blunders we have ever made but his drafts really fell apart at the end and he ended up a failure.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Morgan ultimately fail but a lot of these problems aren't his making....yet.