• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Give Morgan Credit

kungfoodude

10 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

TEs usually take a couple years. Sanders was rushed out before he was ready because Thomas and Tremble were hurt. I’m wiling to give Sanders a while as he is a 4th round TE. 

I mean that he looks utterly and completely lost. He doesn't seem to understand much of his role in most facets.

I will disagree on the long turnaround. Frankly, he kind of looks like this is just not gonna be his thing.

• Beer 1

On 10/9/2024 at 9:21 AM, kungfoodude said:

He did legitimately give us a return to competent OL play for five full games. It's been a very long time since we had five competent offensive linemen starting. fuging crying shame it didn't last longer.

Screenshot_20241009_121006.thumb.jpg.de9dba95699d581c109e79691897c1bf.jpgScreenshot_20241009_120948.thumb.jpg.7e9356fc344c394fa5aa4cb1757a4ab2.jpgScreenshot_20241009_120927.thumb.jpg.601d583653626ef6d872392d816a9d81.jpgScreenshot_20241009_120911.thumb.jpg.b33eb20d64f4862794faa1b1cc52c218.jpgScreenshot_20241009_120845.thumb.jpg.848420f5776a2d386dd0e720985d0480.jpg

Nice job with that! We finally more than fixed our O-line. Just wish all the other peices could come together. This team needs the proverbial ball to bounce our way for a change (of course pun intended).

On 10/9/2024 at 10:34 AM, kungfoodude said:

But remember it isn't like we had any other options. You know, other than the 5th leading rusher in the NFL currently.

The optimist in me says this kid is going to be so much better than the TE we drafted from that same school that suddenly forgot how catching footballs work. Here's to hope!!

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I mean that he looks utterly and completely lost. He doesn't seem to understand much of his role in most facets.

I will disagree on the long turnaround. Frankly, he kind of looks like this is just not gonna be his thing.

Yeah I’m going to disagree with comparing a 4th round TE struggling his first year to a QB we traded up to pick 1 struggling in year 2 after a horrific year 1. Big difference there. A 4th round TE shouldn’t be starting right now. As I already mentioned TE has the longest adjustment period of any position in the NFL. Now throw in Sanders having blocking as a weakness at Texas and we are asking him to do that a lot.  Expecting him to contribute meaningful snaps right away was just wishful thinking honestly. You have a “generational” talent in Bowers who is a glorified WR with 300 yards and 1 TD in 5 games. 

• Pie 2

16 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Yeah I’m going to disagree with comparing a 4th round TE struggling his first year to a QB we traded up to pick 1 struggling in year 2 after a horrific year 1. Big difference there. A 4th round TE shouldn’t be starting right now. As I already mentioned TE has the longest adjustment period of any position in the NFL. Now throw in Sanders having blocking as a weakness at Texas and we are asking him to do that a lot.  Expecting him to contribute meaningful snaps right away was just wishful thinking honestly. You have a “generational” talent in Bowers who is a glorified WR with 300 yards and 1 TD in 5 games. 

Yeah, I am really not understanding that "longest adjustment period" thing. I think that might be something Panthers fans would think because we really never have any of our TE's ever develop.

I agree he shouldn't be playing but it is what it is.

• Beer 1

9 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Actually, watching the games, his blocking has been his strenth so far. His problem is that he is getting opportunities in key downs to make plays and he is just droppng the ball. He's getting meaninful snap, it just seems like he's not handling the "bight lights" well just yet.  You are right, we cannot expect him to be David Njoku (who he was compared to entering draft) right now, but come on kid, those 3rd down drops hurt! I think he will be a good TE, you're right... development.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

22 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah, I am really not understanding that "longest adjustment period" thing. I think that might be something Panthers fans would think because we really never have any of our TE's ever develop.

I agree he shouldn't be playing but it is what it is.

I mean our best TE really took off year 4 after the Bears traded him for a 3rd after drafting him in the 1st 3 years prior. It’s not a Panthers thing it’s learning to be an OL and WR at the next level. Year 3-4 is typically when TEs starting figuring it out and peaking. 
Sanders blocking has been bad, but I wouldn’t worry about his drops. He had zero his last year in college. That’s almost certainly a speed of the game thing and will get better with some more live reps. Again 4th rounders and especially TEs usually take time. Hell WRs use to until recently some of these elite ones are taking off right away. 

• Beer 1

16 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

Donte Rosario was going to be great before he ended his career celebrating in San Diego. 

Man I remember he had one game he was electric. I thought it was his coming out party. I was wrong…

22 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I mean our best TE really took off year 4 after the Bears traded him for a 3rd after drafting him in the 1st 3 years prior. It’s not a Panthers thing it’s learning to be an OL and WR at the next level. Year 3-4 is typically when TEs starting figuring it out and peaking. 
Sanders blocking has been bad, but I wouldn’t worry about his drops. He had zero his last year in college. That’s almost certainly a speed of the game thing and will get better with some more live reps. Again 4th rounders and especially TEs usually take time. Hell WRs use to until recently some of these elite ones are taking off right away. 

Well there are a lot of TE's recently who haven't taken that time to develop at all so I think that you might be looking at this specifically through the lens of a Panthers fan only. Our TE struggles are really our own making for the most part.

This mirrors the WR's that have been successful in the past 10+ years.

7 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Well there are a lot of TE's recently who haven't taken that time to develop at all so I think that you might be looking at this specifically through the lens of a Panthers fan only. Our TE struggles are really our own making for the most part.

This mirrors the WR's that have been successful in the past 10+ years.

It was from a draft podcast from the athletic last year. There are always exceptions, but TEs usually take the longest from 2-3 years. It wouldn’t really make sense from a Panthers fan perspective as you mentioned we have developed 0 successfully lately. 

Sanders could make it or he could end up another project that never comes close to his potential. It's not going to be this year and I'm not expecting next year being more than an improvement but it should shed light on how his development is going.

The standard right now is Thomas who isn't good in the passing game and his blocking isn't much better. Once Thomas is back out there Meh-ing it up it should give him some time and a very catchable goal to chase.

• Pie 1