• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What were your expectations for this season?

Mr. Scot

3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

What did you expect this year?

To quote my optometrist, is it better...or worse?

The expectation was what we were told it would be…

Canales was supposed to come in here and fix Bryce Young into a serviceable QB.   I never thought it would work given Canales’ O and Bryce never matched up….and who fixes a young struggling QB by giving him a newb HC, newb OC and an O scheme he doesn’t fit. 

we failed miserably.  I expected Bryce to look a little better.  He looked worse.   I think Canales always had this weird cherry picked QB guru street cred that was never real.  

I think some real bad football is on its way…now that teams got film on Canales/Dalton. 

• Flames 1

6 wins. Thought bryce would play within the 2.47 seconds rule ---did not expect the defense to maintain, but I thought Wonnum, Barno, and Clowney would equal what we got from from Burns and Gross matos.  Brown being out is killer.  With no pressure on the QB, nothing consistent to create middle pressure / stuff the run, gonna be picking first again this year.

13 hours ago, CRA said:

The expectation was what we were told it would be…

Canales was supposed to come in here and fix Bryce Young into a serviceable QB.   I never thought it would work given Canales’ O and Bryce never matched up….and who fixes a young struggling QB by giving him a newb HC, newb OC and an O scheme he doesn’t fit. 

we failed miserably.  I expected Bryce to look a little better.  He looked worse.   I think Canales always had this weird cherry picked QB guru street cred that was never real.  

I think some real bad football is on its way…now that teams got film on Canales/Dalton. 

All true but the last part is coming. DC was predictable last year and this year he is showing that now that it is week 6 and in the meat of the season where tape has accumulated. His lack of adjustments last game was alarming and a really bad sign of what's to come if he doesn't start adapting.

Evero was some great DC who we were lucky to have so they skimped on D but the guys they brought in have been more miss than hit which just exposes him on that side. He is in year 2 and still trying to get his D functional vs dumbing it down and building from there.

Failing on both sides will be brutal to watch if they don't change up their strategies.

I honestly had no idea what to expect. There’s too much change every year to make accurate predictions. 

I was hoping for improvement out of Bryce Young, cohesion on the offensive line, and for some young players to develop especially on defense. I don’t know if any of those things will come true. 

• Beer 1

Even with our roster. I was thinking 5-6 wins would feel appropriate.

4 or fewer and it’s getting into questionable territory.

Over 6 would be a welcome surprise.

So it seems like we’re flirting with the low end of my expected. It’s looking to be a 3-14/4-13 kind of season. Would be very disappointed if we only win 1 more game the rest of the way. Give me at least 2 more wins this year Panthers. Thx.

6 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

3-5 wins. I didn't think Bryce would get pulled this early or the OL to be this good. I also didn't expect the defense to be historically bad, just regular bad.

I am not sure what to think overall yet about direction. 

Yeah, this early for Bryce never entered my mind. I thought he’d baseline be looking okay with maybe an avg 205ish yards, 1-2 td type weekly performance, with some high turnover weeks. What I didn't see was that he was done before the season began and stifled to a Clausen level.

I was also a bit too favorable to the defense - I thought the pass rush would be serviceable not non-existent. That was the other big miscalculation. 

Moving forward, the Bears defense has been playing lights out so if this offense looks more like the Cincy/Vegas games this week, I’ll feel a bit better about the system being installed. If we continue to flutter even with Dalton, then I’ll start to get weary of this staff. Even with the injuries we still have personnel to show up and perform decently on offense.

Not sure about the defense though since there’s zero pass rush and it’s not going to magically arrive. 

• Beer 1

Just now, Bear Hands said:

Yeah, this early for Bryce never entered my mind. I thought he’d baseline be looking okay with maybe an avg 205ish yards, 1-2 td type weekly performance, with some high turnover weeks. What I didn't see was that he was done before the season began and stifled to a Clausen level.

I was also a bit too favorable to the defense - I thought the pass rush would be serviceable not non-existent. That was the other big miscalculation. 

Moving forward, the Bears defense has been playing lights out so if this offense looks more like the Cincy/Vegas games this week, I’ll feel a bit better about the system being installed. If we continue to flutter even with Dalton, then I’ll start to get weary of this staff. Even with the injuries we still have personnel to show up and perform decently on offense.

Not sure about the defense though since there’s zero pass rush and it’s not going to magically arrive. 

I am a little flabbergasted about not running the ball on Chicago more. I am merely a layman but I can see when there is a weakness to a defense to be exploited.

Methinks that was pretty arrogant of Canales to not have adapted better than that.

That's the big thing I am going to keep an eye on. Of course, our running attack may go to poo as our OL is now comprised.

3 hours ago, hepcat said:

I honestly had no idea what to expect. There’s too much change every year to make accurate predictions. 

I was hoping for improvement out of Bryce Young, cohesion on the offensive line, and for some young players to develop especially on defense. I don’t know if any of those things will come true. 

I had similar ideas...