• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers could finish with the worst defense in the history of the NFL

R0CKnR0LLA

Just now, frankw said:

Obviously you don't want guys getting hurt in practice. But this squad just got DRAGGED by the Chicago Bears. Somehow that poorly run franchise is head and shoulders above us.

Not directed at you but just a general thought. I am so tired of the injury excuse with this franchise. Other teams have injuries and they don't just tumble down into the cellar and remain the worst pro franchise in all of sports.

What is our team culture? Making excuses. Not trying to be a dick. Just calling it like it is.

Well our injury problems are worse because there aren't but a few teams that can even come close to how bad our roster is. So when you pile on massive lack of talent WITH lack of availability, sadly a lot of it in the ranks of our actually talented players, it exacerbates the problem exponentially.

The lack of pads today is really more about load management than anything, I am sure. I highly doubt that is a departure from our normal routine, although I could be wrong.

• Beer 1

On 10/8/2024 at 1:01 PM, electro's horse said:

You have to score a ton of points to give up a ton of points. 

Nah, this defense is that bad.  We gave up 30 in the first half vs New Orleans with 0 points scored.  20 in the first half vs Chargers with 0 points scored.  We "held" the Bengals to 21 in the 1st half.  27 points in the first half to Chicago with 7 points scored.

I've been saying it all season.  I've never seen a team depth chart look this bad on defense.  We've legit got guys who got dismissed from practice squads getting major PT.  This is why I can't get mad at Evero or Canales. It feels like there are some people here still who don't fully understand how bad this defense is talent-wise.  There is no saving them.  Offenses can do whatever they want.

And you wanna know what is crazy?  The first half of our schedule is the EASIEST when it comes to the offenses/QBs we play.  We still have games against the Chiefs, Eagles, Cowboys, Bucs, Cardinals, Falcons, CHIEFS.  I would bet good money the Panthers stay around 31-33 PPG allowed this year.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

6 hours ago, Mage said:

Nah, this defense is that bad.  We gave up 30 in the first half vs New Orleans with 0 points scored.  20 in the first half vs Chargers with 0 points scored.  We "held" the Bengals to 21 in the 1st half.  27 points in the first half to Chicago with 7 points scored.

Chargers proved my point. They scored six in the second half because they didn’t need to do anything else. 

because of how like math works even if only 4-5 teams take their foot off the gas in the second half the panthers aren’t getting to the all time record. 

7 hours ago, Mage said:

I've been saying it all season.  I've never seen a team depth chart look this bad on defense.  We've legit got guys who got dismissed from practice squads getting major PT.  This is why I can't get mad at Evero or Canales. It feels like there are some people here still who don't fully understand how bad this defense is talent-wise.  There is no saving them.  Offenses can do whatever they want.

And you wanna know what is crazy?  The first half of our schedule is the EASIEST when it comes to the offenses/QBs we play.  We still have games against the Chiefs, Eagles, Cowboys, Bucs, Cardinals, Falcons, CHIEFS.  I would bet good money the Panthers stay around 31-33 PPG allowed this year.

I really don't think most fans appreciate how truly terrible this roster is. 

• Pie 1

It's really bad and injuries make it worse but they also allowed this D to come into this year with these guys as the talent injection on a depleted roster?

• DT A’Shawn Robinson (agreed to terms on sign three-year, $22.5 million deal)
  • LB Josey Jewell (signed three-year, $22.75 million deal)
  • CB Dane Jackson (signed two-year, $8.5 million deal)
  • OLB D.J. Wonnum (signed two-year, $12.5 million deal)
  • OLB K’Lavon Chaisson (signed one-year, $5 million deal)
  • S Jordan Fuller (signed one-year, $5.25 million deal)
  • S Nick Scott (signed)
  • OLB Jadeveon Clowney (signed to two-year, $20 million deal)

With a draft class like this

— Buffalo's first-rounder (No. 32 overall) — WR Xavier Legette

— Indianapolis' second rounder (No. 46 overall) — RB Jonathon Brooks

— New York Jets' third-rounder (No. 72 overall) — LB Trevin Wallace

— Their own fourth-rounder (No. 101 overall) — TE Ja'Tavion Sanders

— New York Jets' fifth-rounder (No. 157 overall) — CB Chau Smith-Wade

— Buffalo's sixth-rounder (No. 200 overall) — DT Jaden Crumedy

— Pittsburgh's seventh-rounder (No. 240 overall) — LB Michael Barrett

Mike Jackson has been good thankfully and super early with little tape but Wallace showed some promise in a tough roll on Sunday. They weren't going to build a top D this year but they could have also done better than that. We lost freaking Luvu and I think Jackson is an upgrade over the old Jackson. Brown and Thompson were not going to save that D if healthy given what was around them. That's on the GM and DC for not doing better. They literally missed on all but 2 guys so far while expecting their passrush to be an old Clowney?

Since Evero and DM were here last year lets add 2023's guys

• DL Shy Tuttle (signed three-year, $19.5 million deal)
  • S Vonn Bell (signed three-year, $22.5 million deal)
  • DL DeShawn Williams (signed one-year, $1.1 million deal)
  • LB Kamu Grugier-Hill (signed one-year, $1.3 million deal)
  • DB Eric Rowe (agreed to terms)

And that draft

• Round 1 | Pick 1 overall (from CHI)
    Bryce Young, QB, Alabama
  • Round 2 | Pick 39 overall
    Jonathan Mingo, WR, Ole Miss
  • Round 3 | Pick 80 (from PIT)
    DJ Johnson, EDGE, Oregon
  • Round 4, Pick 114 overall
    Chandler Zavala, G, NC State
  • Round 5, Pick 145 overall
    Jammie Robinson, S, Florida State

That's how you build an all time worst D right there. Burns is doing nothing in NY. Luvu wasn't coming back anyways. I don't see how DM and Evero get a pass for such terrible work over 2 years. I would think a blindfolded dude throwing darts at a draft board and free agency board could do better than that over 2 years. It's not just a talent on the field problem IMO. And yes DM was AGM in 2023 but he was the GM's right hand guy and the pro-personnel guy so even taking that into context it still stinks. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1