• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Travis Hunter hype thread

I’m game but would Prime let him come here? And he needs to pick one side of the ball. Not saying he can’t handle extra spot plays here or there if needed , but to ask him to learn nfl playbook and coverage on both sides his rookie year would be nuts. Whichever side he wants I’m fine with. 

34 minutes ago, PappyMay said:

I’m game but would Prime let him come here? And he needs to pick one side of the ball. Not saying he can’t handle extra spot plays here or there if needed , but to ask him to learn nfl playbook and coverage on both sides his rookie year would be nuts. Whichever side he wants I’m fine with. 

Why would Prime have any say on where he goes?

Ugh, here we go again.

People need to stop falling for the Heisman/College hype and thinking he'll have the same type of impact in the NFL, because he won't (and side note, he's probably not even the Heisman favorite anymore, the kid from Boise State is going to put up numbers that are too good to not give him the award).

Let's get this out of the way first, he will NOT be a full time 2 way player in the NFL, it's just not possible.  He can either be a full time WR or a full time CB who then gets maybe 5-10 snaps on offense a game to see if he can break off a big play.

Once you remove the two way factor from him, he's just a great CB prospect and a very good WR prospect, but he's not a generational prospect on either side of the ball on it's own.

If he decides to be a full time CB, I'm not against drafting him because it's a need.

But if he decides to be a WR, there is no circumstance where he can be taken over T-Mac.  He'll be more of a slot WR in the NFL due to his size, particularly his slim frame.  T-Mac on the other hand is a true elite outside WR prospect, and those just don't grow on trees, there's only a small handful of players in the NFL with his size, hands, and speed/agility combination.

To me, that's the differentiator when comparing Hunter to T-Mac as a WR.  If he was a plodding big WR, like Kelvin Benjamin was, it obviously changes things, but he's not, he has more than enough speed and agility to his game that when combined with his 6'5" frame, it's a no brainer for me, he's going to be WR #1 on every team's board.

For Hunter, there is nothing wrong with being a true generational collegiate talent and just a very good to great NFL prospect, and being able to separate the two when evaluating him for the NFL is very important.

I'm not bashing him (looking at you Cam), but I'm just being realistic about what he will be in the NFL, which is a potential Top 10 CB, but not a Top 10 WR, but like one of the best #2 guys in the NFL or a mid to low end #1

Edited by tukafan21
  • Pie 1

26 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

Ugh, here we go again.

People need to stop falling for the Heisman/College hype and thinking he'll have the same type of impact in the NFL, because he won't (and side note, he's probably not even the Heisman favorite anymore, the kid from Boise State is going to put up numbers that are too good to not give him the award).

Let's get this out of the way first, he will NOT be a full time 2 way player in the NFL, it's just not possible.  He can either be a full time WR or a full time CB who then gets maybe 5-10 snaps on offense a game to see if he can break off a big play.

Once you remove the two way factor from him, he's just a great CB prospect and a very good WR prospect, but he's not a generational prospect on either side of the ball on it's own.

If he decides to be a full time CB, I'm not against drafting him because it's a need.

But if he decides to be a WR, there is no circumstance where he can be taken over T-Mac.  He'll be more of a slot WR in the NFL due to his size, particularly his slim frame.  T-Mac on the other hand is a true elite outside WR prospect, and those just don't grow on trees, there's only a small handful of players in the NFL with his size, hands, and speed/agility combination.

To me, that's the differentiator when comparing Hunter to T-Mac as a WR.  If he was a plodding big WR, like Kelvin Benjamin was, it obviously changes things, but he's not, he has more than enough speed and agility to his game that when combined with his 6'5" frame, it's a no brainer for me, he's going to be WR #1 on every team's board.

For Hunter, there is nothing wrong with being a true generational collegiate talent and just a very good to great NFL prospect, and being able to separate the two when evaluating him for the NFL is very important.

I'm not bashing him (looking at you Cam), but I'm just being realistic about what he will be in the NFL, which is a potential Top 10 CB, but not a Top 10 WR, but like one of the best #2 guys in the NFL or a mid to low end #1

You are confusing bro.

I get your love affair for Tmac, but it's strange you say you think Hunter is elite, yet you question people when they bring his name up.

Something not adding up. You writing paragraphs on a guy you supposedly saying is elite. But giving reasons as to why he's not good for us.

Chill out bro nobody is going to forget about Tmac in the draft lol.

8 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

You are confusing bro.

I get your love affair for Tmac, but it's strange you say you think Hunter is elite, yet you question people when they bring his name up.

Something not adding up. You writing paragraphs on a guy you supposedly saying is elite. But giving reasons as to why he's not good for us.

Chill out bro nobody is going to forget about Tmac in the draft lol.

I honestly don't know what is so confusing, it's really not that hard

Generational collegiate talent - Yes

Great to Elite CB prospect - Yes

Great to Elite WR prospect - No

Very good to Great WR prospect - Yes

Full time 2-Way NFL Player - NOT IN A FREAKING MILLION YEARS

The majority of people on this board who talk about drafting Hunter talk about his 2 way play or him as a WR.

Well, one of those things just isn't happening so people need to stop talking about it when discussing his draft prospects.  If you want to talk about his college impact and Heisman hype, then sure, talk about his 2 way play until you're blue in the face, that's totally fair and valid.  The other I just very strongly disagree with, at least in comparison to the other WR option at the top of the draft, they're not equal WR prospects, T-Mac has a significantly higher upside as an NFL WR and there shouldn't even be a discussion at who to take if we want a WR and both are available at the pick.

So I don't get frustrated at people bringing him up, I get frustrated at people bringing him up to only talk about him as a 2 way player and/or WR at the next level, because he just flat out is NOT an elite prospect for either of those things.

And I've told you this before, if you can't understand the difference between those things, then it's a you problem, not a me problem, sorry.

Edited by tukafan21
  • Pie 2

27 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

Definitely this. I don’t have the deep knowledge of football like some but I think Hunter has to be a top prospect as a CB and would evaluate him as such.  I like him a lot and respect his abilities but the two way stuff is out the door.  

If he is on your roster maybe there’s consideration for a gadget play/wrinkle here or there but that shouldn’t be a leading enticement to draft him.  

36 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

I honestly don't know what is so confusing, it's really not that hard

The majority of people on this board who talk about drafting Hunter talk about his 2 way play or him as a WR.

Well, one of those things just isn't happening so people need to stop talking about it when discussing his draft prospects.  If you want to talk about his college impact and Heisman hype, then sure, talk about his 2 way play until you're blue in the face, that's totally fair and valid.  The other I just very strongly disagree with, at least in comparison to the other WR option at the top of the draft, they're not equal WR prospects, T-Mac has a significantly higher upside as an NFL WR and there shouldn't even be a discussion at who to take if we want a WR and both are available at the pick.

So I don't get frustrated at people bringing him up, I get frustrated at people bringing him up to only talk about him as a 2 way player and/or WR at the next level, because he just flat out is NOT an elite prospect for either of those things.

And I've told you this before, if you can't understand the difference between those things, then it's a you problem, not a me problem, sorry.

He's not playing both ways at the next level. I said from the start the choice won't be his. This is the NFL they will make that decision. 

You are literally debating yourself on this topic. 

21 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

He's not playing both ways at the next level. I said from the start the choice won't be his. This is the NFL they will make that decision. 

You are literally debating yourself on this topic. 

Well there's a few issues with this.....

First is that he's still saying he is going to be a full time 2 way player in the NFL, if he is still adamant about that come pre-draft interviews, then he's 100% off my draft board at either position.  As to me, that screams he's not serious about being as good of a player as he can be, that he's more about style than substance.  

Those are the things that may seem minor, but they can tell you all you need to know about a player and his true motivation, that would be a massive red flag to me if he's still insisting on that come pre-draft process. 

Second, unless he tells every team that he doesn't care and they can choose which side of the ball he will play at, which seems extremely unlikely, then yes, he will 100% decide what position he plays in the NFL.  This isn't the case of a great college QB who probably can't play the position in the NFL and a team drafts him in the 5th round saying they drafted him as a WR.

And that's for a few reasons.

1.  You don't want him to start his career being upset because a team is forcing him to play on the side of the ball he doesn't want to play on.  Remember, career length and possible contracts are 100% factors in his case, as he has a much higher contract potential as a WR, but given his body type, he has a much better chance at having a longer and healthier career as a CB.  You can't leave that decision up to the team, it's got to be his choice given the money these guys stand to make these days.

2.  Whatever position he starts his career off at, is the side of the ball he'll play his whole career unless he is looking like a bust there.  Not even a bad agent is allowing whichever team that drafts him to dictate his career path in that way.  Case and point would be Devin Hester, the Bears drafted him to be a DB who returned kicks and might get a few offensive snaps.  But it was clear to them after his rookie season that he just wasn't going to be a great DB so they switched him to being a WR.  That's a whole lot easier to do and sell to the fan base than a Top 10 pick who would be looking like a bust who needed to change positions.

3.  Since he won't be a 2 way player in the NFL, he'll need to train one side of the ball to prepare for the draft and his rookie season, which begins just days after the draft with rookie mini camp.  He can't waste those 4-5 months doing generic training that isn't specific to a position, and doing both sides of the ball just wouldn't be a good use of his time.  Which if he did do that, it leads me back to my first point about him, it would show that he'd rather be known for being the first full time 2 way player in the NFL in decades than being a possibly elite player in the league.

Now, maybe he'll publicly say he's open to playing either position so he can sound like a "team player", but in reality, his agent and/or himself, will be telling teams what position he will be playing, and if they don't want him at that position, they won't be drafting him as that would be a real bad way to start off with a early draft pick.

Edited by tukafan21

36 minutes ago, Pejorative Miscreant said:

Definitely this. I don’t have the deep knowledge of football like some but I think Hunter has to be a top prospect as a CB and would evaluate him as such.  I like him a lot and respect his abilities but the two way stuff is out the door.  

If he is on your roster maybe there’s consideration for a gadget play/wrinkle here or there but that shouldn’t be a leading enticement to draft him.  

Oh I think you'd be doing your team a disservice if you drafted him as a CB and then never use him on offense.

But you're using him in one of 3 ways, jet sweeps, bubble screens, and go routes, and doing so at the very most 10 times a game if absolutely needed in a close game, but more than likely no more than 5 and some games not at all when he's shadowing an elite WR and you don't want to risk injury or fatigue on gadget plays.

Basically just put the ball in his hands and see if his athleticism can break a big play.

You're not going to have him running any kind of route tree because any time he spends working on that is time not spend working on his true CB position.  Any other route requires hours upon hours of practicing with your QB to get timing down, asking someone to go out there and run a nuanced pattern without proper practice is just asking for interceptions to be thrown.

Edited by tukafan21