• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Don’t ever listen to Smitty

NAS

12 hours ago, TD alt said:

And then, you've already been told by NFL insiders that Houston, among others, had Young as the guy. Trying to blame us picking him on Smitty is ridiculous. Blame the scouts and David Tepper.

Not blaming Smitty, just saying don't listen to him.  He's a legendary WR, but he's honestly a terrible analyst. 

• Pie 1

10 hours ago, Chaos said:

Mingo is just another in a long line of trash WRs this franchise has drafted. Another swing and a miss like our boy TMJ. 

They are obsessed with drafting the same type of physical receiver every draft for years, no matter who the gm is. None of them have worked.  I have no idea why the front office is obsessed with chasing old dated player types and teams.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

8 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

They are obsessed with drafting the same type of physical receiver every draft for years, no matter who the gm is. None of them have worked.  I have no idea why the front office is obsessed with chasing old dated player types and teams.

You could have drafted a guy that will absolutely have a long and successful NFL career in Ladd McConkey. Certainly, he is never going to be a Jefferson, Adams, etc but he is going to carve out a meaningful role as a slot receiver. 

These are the type of guys we absolutely refuse to take. Sure things. 

Or maybe we just overdraft an injured RB instead of a starting caliber NFL center in Zach Frazier?

We just keep doing the same ignorant horseshit. We shoot for high ceiling, very low floor guys over and over and over again. And we do it completely regardless of the fact that we have so unbelievably rarely been able to develop any of that talent. Without the luxury of having a deep roster to stash someone on to develop.

Look at poor Wallace. Another high ceiling and incredibly low floor guy that isn't playing special teams....he's fuging starting and stinking it up. Why? Why do we keep doing this to ourselves and these fuging players?

Edited by kungfoodude
  • Pie 2

10 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

You could have drafted a guy that will absolutely have a long and successful NFL career in Ladd McConkey. Certainly, he is never going to be a Jefferson, Adams, etc but he is going to carve out a meaningful role as a slot receiver. 

These are the type of guys we absolutely refuse to take. Sure things. 

Or maybe we just overdraft an injured RB instead of a starting caliber NFL center in Zach Frazier?

We just keep doing the same ignorant horseshit. We shoot for high ceiling, very low floor guys over and over and over again. And we do it completely regardless of the fact that we have so unbelievably rarely been able to develop any of that talent. Without the luxury of having a deep roster to stash someone on to develop.

Look at poor Wallace. Another high ceiling and incredibly low floor guy that isn't playing special teams....he's fuging starting and stinking it up. Why? Why do we keep doing this to ourselves and these fuging players?

My biggest problem is that we never value route running or quickness or explosiveness in our evaluations of receivers.  We look at height/weight and 40 time.  That seems to literally be all.

• Beer 1

25 minutes ago, Paa Langfart said:

screenshot-2024-01-22-at-55050-pm.png

He hasn't proven himself yet. 

Although I will say the 2024 draft looks better than the 2023 draft thus far at least.

Legette looks way better than Mingo, Trevin Wallace looks good. Brooks will probably  be good. J.Coker technically wasn't drafted but he came in with this draft class basically.  He's good. 

Not getting a center is gonna fug them imo. Hope he concentrates on rebuilding the defense next off season 

Just now, Hoenheim said:

He hasn't proven himself yet. 

Although I will say the 2024 draft looks better than the 2023 draft thus far at least.

Legette looks way better than Mingo, Trevin Wallace looks good. Brooks will probably  be good. J.Coker technically wasn't drafted but he came in with this draft class basically.  He's good. 

Not getting a center is gonna fug them imo. Hope he concentrates on rebuilding the defense next off season 

I mean, in a year where we have all the PT in the world available we have very limited impact. XL has been extremely unreliable with flashes of why we drafted him. Brooks is still MIA. Wallace piled up a bunch of tackles yesterday being apparently the only guy that can actually wrap up on the team. Sanders looks completely lost when he is on the field more often than not.

So MAYBE one impact-ish player so far? That's terrible. 

23 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

We just keep doing the same ignorant horseshit. We shoot for high ceiling, very low floor guys over and over and over again.

Couldn't agree more.  You can't build a 53 man roster off of scratch off tickets.  The hit rate is not there regardless of developmental prowess.  You can take a big swing every now and again, but the bulk of your draft choices should be aimed at filling out the meat and potatoes of a roster.

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Couldn't agree more.  You can't build a 53 man roster off of scratch off tickets.  The hit rate is not there regardless of developmental prowess.  You can take a big swing every now and again, but the bulk of your draft choices should be aimed at filling out the meat and potatoes of a roster.

Those are the picks you throw out in the 5th-7th round. Get some potential special teams aces to develop. But using the same strategy in the 2nd-4th round??? It's nuts.

ESPECIALLY when you literally don't have any talent on the team.

Here is a fun little factoid. From 2018 to 2021(four full drafts) we drafted a total of 33 players).

Only four of them are still on the team. A retention rate of 12.1%.

From 2022 to 2024 we have drafted 18 players. We currently have only 11 on the team. A retention rate of just 61.1%.

I suspect the 2022 to 2024 retention rate will plumment towards the end of those rookie deals.

And people wonder why we are so bad.