• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Don’t ever listen to Smitty

NAS

28 minutes ago, TD alt said:

I watched that off-season closely, and I don't ever remember Smitty saying Mingo was his favorite receiver. In fact Mingo was down the list a little bit. David Tepper wanted Bryce, and to say Smitty affected that decision is ludicrous. 

Do you remember when Smitty said that Cooper Kupp was the best one in that draft for his money? Funny that Coker has his best day, because Smitty was the first (and only) analyst that I heard praise Coker pre-draft. 

Smitty is decidedly non-committal on most of the guys and keeps extreme criticism of them to a minimum during the off-season. He keeps it all in perspective, understands context, and advises people who listen to him to do the same. He knows that there's a lot that can play towards a player's success or failure. He basically tells you if a guy has something to work with.

He went too soft on Young. I lose sight of his analyst credibility in the fog of that stuff. 

5 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

It was blatantly obvious Mingo was a bust after last season, same as TMJ.

People just don't want to believe what they are seeing.

I am gonna tell ya'll now.....don't be surprised to see XL end up in this category, as well.

Xl definatly showing signs of bust.  Hopefully he can make some improvements.  Others need to go as people previoisly said practice squadders would at least be something new to see.  

Steve has great insight on many things overall but as far as evaluating goes anyone can get it wrong and he is no different. His takes should not be disregarded but also not placed on a pedestal either.

As far as being a mouthpiece for Tepper idk if I would go that far but he has carried some water to a degree all homerism aside I think anyone who has watched this unfold the last few years should be able to readily acknowledge that.

It's best not to put too much stock in these things going forward. Especially the fluff pieces that involve former players talking up this guy or that guy. Show it on the field. Until then. Meh.

It's not really Smitty's job (or Delhimme's, or Gross's, or Shroff's, etc) to be a hard hitting journalist.

The primary role of team guys is to speak about the team in as positive a manner as possible.

(that's arguably a more difficult job than being an objective journalist) 😕

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

11 hours ago, fanpanther said:

Xl definatly showing signs of bust.  Hopefully he can make some improvements.  Others need to go as people previoisly said practice squadders would at least be something new to see.  

XL has another full season to show me something. Mingo I would normally say the same but he is just so bad at just about everything. He hasn't visibly improved on just about any aspect of catching the football.

He is not an NFL WR, plain and simple.