• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coker

MHS831

3 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

XL can become the best friend of a strong armed gunslinger QB. Let him go deep and jump ball against the CB. DC wants him to be his Evans/DK. Bryce would have been better with a Ladd quick short route runner. I think DC was building an offense for a traditional QB in case the Young experiment fails which it looks like it is…

I agree about DC. I think he knew it would fail and that he would get a shot at bringing in a more suitable QB. But he had to play the game while it all played out and he had to convincingly remove the excuses that were being made. 

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, HPPantherzfan said:

I didn't get to watch most of the game yesterday, thanks HOA, but what happened to XL?

He made one catch and hurt his shoulder on the play.  I think he couldn't finish the game. 

15 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Mingo was always a high upside raw WR. He is by far our best run blocking WR. He is just going to need some time. Time is something we have since we have a while before we are competitive again…

You are literally describing a 7th round special teams guy, not a 2nd rounder. That's the problem.

42 minutes ago, strato said:

You guys know why Legette was chosen. We needed a guy that can compete with defensive for balls thrown by an inaccurate weak armed QB. 

5 games. Hurt in camp and growth somewhat slowed, and then the Bryce factor was quicksand too. 

Sure, if he was actually a sure handed WR. The truth is that he isn't that yet.

Remember, he isn't some 21 year old. He's about half a year younger than TMJ. We can't afford for him to take 3-4 years to figure this out. 

If you wanted a QB's best friend and just HAD to trade up, go get a Brian Thomas. That's an effective and pro ready WR.

Or how about a guy that went after XL? McConkley who consistently is able to get open and even catch the ball with his actual hands!!!

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

You are literally describing a 7th round special teams guy, not a 2nd rounder. That's the problem.

Remember, he isn't some 21 year old. He's about half a year younger than TMJ. We can't afford for him to take 3-4 years to figure this out. 

If you wanted a QB's best friend and just HAD to trade up, go get a Brian Thomas. That's an effective and pro ready WR.

Or how about a guy that went after XL? McConkley who consistently is able to get open and even catch the ball with his actual hands!!!

You watch Legette and the body catching and the unnecessary leaving his feet, yeah that is there. And needs to be addressed. 

But when he goes up or extends, he gets it. There is no body catching possible on those balls and his hands look pretty good to me. We haven't seen much of it. 

edit: this hinges on Young. We had players downfield open last year he rarely got near them.

Also we got that guy in Diontae. I just think Legette was taken to be that flag it down as if Russell Wilson tossed it up for grabs.

Edited by strato

6 minutes ago, strato said:

You watch Legette and the body catching and the unnecessary leaving his feet, yeah that is there. And needs to be addressed. 

But when he goes up or extends, he gets it. There is no body catching possible on those balls and his hands look pretty good to me. We haven't seen much of it. 

edit: this hinges on Young. We had players downfield open last year he rarely got near them.

Also we got that guy in Diontae. I just think Legette was taken to be that flag it down as if Russell Wilson tossed it up for grabs.

This has zero to do with Bryce Young. It's about drafting a guy that needed to be on the bench for a couple of seasons to figure this poo out when you could have gotten an NFL ready player from day one.

We do this poo all the fuging time and it's infuriating. If the answer to "is he ready to play now" is "no", that is not a top 3 round pick player. That's a fuging day three player.

Edited by kungfoodude
  • Pie 1

48 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

This has zero to do with Bryce Young. It's about drafting a guy that needed to be on the bench for a couple of seasons to figure this poo out when you could have gotten an NFL ready player from day one.

We do this poo all the fuging time and it's infuriating. If the answer to "is he ready to play now" is "no", that is not a top 3 round pick player. That's a fuging day three player.

Church.

2 hours ago, Seltzer said:

Coker and Wallace were the only 2 bright spots from yesterday.

Coker looked like he could be WR3, and Wallace (despite a few rookie bumps), looked like he could be our starting MLB (and I'm definitely on board with going back to a 4-3 and think Wallace can be even better in a 4-3)

The only thing positive I can say about Mingo is he has been good as a run blocker so far.  He's not a good receiver.

Coker should get more reps from Mingo going forward. 

It's interesting (and sad) that 2 of the better WR's we've drafted in the past decade or so were UDFA's (Coker & Philly Brown), while we've busted on so many guys drafted high 

This is why I think he plays. Canales wants to establish rushing dominance and honestly Mingo is probably our best and most physical WR blocking. Unfortunately he just sucks at everything else a WR needs to do 

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

7th rounders do good to make the team and are almost purely special teamers. I think we drafted Mingo at least a round too early but that was the old staff and he is here so let’s see if he can develop. 

Ladd is a slot WR. DJ is probably best as a slot, AT is a slot at this point, honestly Mingo was projected to be a big slot. We can’t field a team of slots. We needed an X WR who can stretch the field. That is what XL is. XL just needs to stay healthy and he will be fine. He is already flashing in this shitty offense. I liked AD Mitchell better as a prospect personally but I’m good with XL where we drafted him. 

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

7th rounders do good to make the team and are almost purely special teamers. I think we drafted Mingo at least a round too early but that was the old staff and he is here so let’s see if he can develop. 

Ladd is a slot WR. DJ is probably best as a slot, AT is a slot at this point, honestly Mingo was projected to be a big slot. We can’t field a team of slots. We needed an X WR who can stretch the field. That is what XL is. XL just needs to stay healthy and he will be fine. He is already flashing in this shitty offense. I liked AD Mitchell better as a prospect personally but I’m good with XL where we drafted him. 

You don't draft developmental guys in the first or second round unless you are a bad franchise. We consistently do this. Shocker of all shockers, it almost never works out.

This is what happened to Mingo and is likely to happen to XL.

Ever wonder why we can't develop these guys? Probably because we have the same level of terrible decision making as overdrafting guys like those in the first place that hiring coaches.

Also, name some guys in the last decade that didn't develop here and then went elsewhere to develop? It isn't just us that can't do it. We choose the wrong prospects many more times than we don't.