• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler: WR Diontae Johnson Possible Trade Candidate At Deadline

15 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I agree. That said, if it isn't more than a 4th, I don't know that I see the value. Just continuing to be a functional offensive unit is going to be worth more than any 4th round or lower pick in terms of team morale.

Also, no reason to move him until close to the Week 10 deadline, either. Teams aren't going to be magically less needy.

Yeah, I think he most likely is gone.  I mean as long as the money is in the ballpark, everyone in his shoes would want to leave for elsewhere. 

So I would take a 3rd for him.  Less than that? Just keep him.  Make the season more bearable to watch. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

10 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

As many have said, it would be insane(also very Panthers, so there is that) to sign a 29 year old WR to a long term 18-22/mil a year deal. That's bananas.

Now if he wants something in the 12-15 range at maybe 3 years, by all means, get the deal done.

This is a perfectly rational and reasonable position for a Panthers fan to take. Doesnt mean one doesn’t like Diontae Johnson. Hell I wanna keep him. I like him. But that doesn't mean I'm just going to ignore any red flags in this situation. That's how we've gotten into many messes over the years. It's become business as usual. Let's just try to avoid that where possible. Going forward that's all I ask.

• Beer 1

Just now, frankw said:

This is a perfectly rational and reasonable position for a Panthers fan to take. Doesnt mean one doesn’t like Diontae Johnson. Hell I wanna keep him. I like him. But that doesn't mean I'm just going to ignore any red flags in this situation. That's how we've gotten into many messes over the years. It's become business as usual. Let's just try to avoid that where possible. Going forward that's all I ask.

Yeah, you don't want to dump talent at basement prices and/or vastly overpay players. We have done too much of that and it has led to our current situation. 

Nor do you want to flub massive trades like the Young trade and the turned down Burns trade.

• Beer 1

14 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

Those of you that don't think it's worth re-signing him (to something reasonable), why?  How long do you expect an NFL rebuild to take?

Think we just view why he is here differently.  Always viewed he was here for 1 year to prove to the the rest of the league his reputation was wrong…

we aren’t a destination someone like would want to be at….so we would have to overpay. Don’t want to overpay for a guy to choose money as the reason.  

I think when you are a bad as we are….you build with draft picks and guys that can’t get the opportunity they want on the field elsewhere.   And occasionally let the money talk. 

14 minutes ago, strato said:

I'd give him a raise and he gets 10 or something now. No way I do 18 mil, maybe 12. Do a three year that is really a two year if we need it to be?

He is on a ~$18.4 mil/year deal now.

If we go in the 10-15 range, it's a pay cut, not a raise. 

Hence why it might be very hard to sign him. He is already making top 25 money at the position. At the time he signed his deal, it was more like top 15-20 money. Well staying in that range puts him around $20-24 mil. That is just too much money, IMO. 

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

He is on a ~$18.4 mil/year deal now.

If we go in the 10-15 range, it's a pay cut, not a raise. 

Hence why it might be very hard to sign him. He is already making top 25 money at the position. At the time he signed his deal, it was more like top 15-20 money. Well staying in that range puts him around $20-24 mil. That is just too much money, IMO. 

Damn. I thought he was at 10. I see now that's his cap figure. I don't want to give him a raise. 

2 minutes ago, strato said:

Damn. I thought he was at 10. I see now that's his cap figure. I don't want to give him a raise. 

Yeah, I am pretty skeptical about being able to keep him. But, not many other spots give him the opportunity to be a #1 WR, either.