• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Andy Dalton is a top 5 QB so far

NAS

5 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

I remember when we signed him, the majority was saying he was no good no more. 

How the huddle turns. 

And turns. 

And turns. 

I never understood that. I saw him as another Derek Anderson. Reliable, veteran backup QB.

21 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

In fairness, he has done this with veteran QB's who needed some tweaking. Also with talented guys.

We haven't seen him have success with a rookie before. 

We really haven't seen him with a young QB besides Bryce, especially one he's drafted. Lock never saw the field in 22, Trask never saw the field in 23. I'm still scratching my head over the afterthought udfa pickup of Plummer, not sure if that was a Canales/Morgan collaboration or if Morgan just got whatever rookie bum they could sign after the draft. 

• Beer 1

12 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

We really haven't seen him with a young QB besides Bryce, especially one he's drafted. Lock never saw the field in 22, Trask never saw the field in 23. I'm still scratching my head over the afterthought udfa pickup of Plummer, not sure if that was a Canales/Morgan collaboration or if Morgan just got whatever rookie bum they could sign after the draft. 

That is a question mark thing. It went along with the everything for Bryce philosophy that seemed to be guiding things. This is a no threat to him acquisition. 
It’s damning as far as ownership but I hope the bridge has been crossed. Time to burn it. 

27 minutes ago, strato said:

That is a question mark thing. It went along with the everything for Bryce philosophy that seemed to be guiding things. This is a no threat to him acquisition. 
It’s damning as far as ownership but I hope the bridge has been crossed. Time to burn it. 

I also DGAF about a rookie QB if you can find a guy like Smith or Mayfield.

• Flames 1

7 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I also DGAF about a rookie QB if you can find a guy like Smith or Mayfield.

Same here. If you've got a coach like Canales, just go with former first round QBs with some wisdom earned over the years and switch them out every 3-5 years as/if needed.

No need taking a gamble on a rookie and waiting/hoping he becomes a franchise QB.

I know Tepper (and many in here) want that long term franchise guy who will be the face of the franchise, but we got the same distance using a 30something year old cast off as we did with a generational talent drafted first overall.

Is it really necessary to go the route of drafting your franchise QB?

• Beer 1

I understand where ya'll are coming from and tend to agree with you in general but we absolutely should still draft a QB. Let that guy come in and learn under the current veteran starter until the time comes to make a change. All of that should be up to Canales.

We should proceed forward with newfound clarity after the Bryce Young fiasco and yes that means a top to bottom reevaluation of our approach to the position. But we should also be mindful that this whole thing came about because we stubbornly ignored virtually all previous common sense norms for QB evaluation and selected an outlier among outliers after trading a fortune because we got caught up in media created smoke and mirrors mainly due to the college said QB played for.

Tune out unnecessary noise tone down the analytics and just draft good football players. Regardless of position. And we'll be fine.

• Pie 1