• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trevin Wallace funny story

Martin

Love that Trevin Wallace will keep the green dot and communicate the play calls. I’m really high on his potential. This from Joe P is really funny:

Say what?

When Thompson and Josey Jewell (groin and hamstring) both left the Bengals’ game with injuries, it left rookie Trevin Wallace as the linebacker responsible for getting the scheme call from the sideline (via a helmet transmitter) and communicating it to the defense. That process was slowed a bit by Wallace’s south Georgia accent.

Well, not just the accent. Woods said there were other contributing factors that made understanding Wallace difficult.

“We gave him hell about that. Because not only does he have an accent — like me, I have a little bit of a lisp, I’m from the South and I used to wear Invisalign,” said Woods, a Louisiana native. “Trevin has an accent, and he wears Invisalign and he was tired and he was breathing hard. So that was tough.

“But we talked about it, we joked about it. We were just like, ‘Trevin, you’ve gotta slow down a little bit.’ We didn’t miss any calls, but it was different.”

Wallace will have time to work on getting the calls out more cleanly: With Jewell expected to miss at least this week, Woods said the third-round pick from Kentucky will continue to wear the “green dot” on his helmet.”

• Pie 4
  • Beer 4

18 minutes ago, NAS said:

Young man did a great job for his first real action, the future is bright for him as Shaq's replacement in the middle.  

Generally speaking he has actually played quite poorly. But, he's also very much one of our "project" players that is being forced into action. 

It's a good opportunity for him gain a ton of experience and reps while not really hurting us much due to the historically bad nature of our defense overall.

• Beer 3

He was thrown into the game last week. This week will be interesting to see how he does with proper prep. Could show up pretty well given we’re playing a Shane Waldron offense and he’s got great sideline to sideline quickness. If that’s the case, I would caution not to overreact. Looking at the schedule, he could start hot and then cool. 

Enjoyed what I heard this offseason though, was a pick I was big on. Lots of guys liked him as the Lb3/4 in the draft even though many here were a bit “who is this’d” by the pick.

• Beer 1

23 minutes ago, Daeavorn said:

We really need some of our draft picks to land, especially on defense. I hope his play can improve, the unit as a whole didn't look too great against the Bengals.

I doubt there will be much improvement for the defensive unit. But, if individual players can improve(Wallace being one) then I think it will be about as successful as it can be. 

I suspect these lumps are gonna keep coming on D. It's just the side effect of having this little talent.

19 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

He was thrown into the game last week. This week will be interesting to see how he does with proper prep. Could show up pretty well given we’re playing a Shane Waldron offense and he’s got great sideline to sideline quickness. If that’s the case, I would caution not to overreact. Looking at the schedule, he could start hot and then cool. 

Enjoyed what I heard this offseason though, was a pick I was big on. Lots of guys liked him as the Lb3/4 in the draft even though many here were a bit “who is this’d” by the pick.

He's going to show his potential but he'll also make rookie  mistakes.  We need to be patient with him

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, NAS said:

He's going to show his potential but he'll also make rookie  mistakes.  We need to be patient with him

Precisely. Same with XL and Sanders right now. Gotta give them a moment to breathe and let them settle into the roles.

Will have ups and downs. Especially with Trevin, as every position is dependent and our defense is depleted. Now he’s getting the calls and in the center of it all.

• Beer 1