• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Albert Breer: Panthers WR’s possibilities for Chiefs

22 minutes ago, t96 said:

You're probably right for the Chiefs but he's really not necessarily a rental for any team that acquires him. The guy gets open at will and any team could use him. I know people here are low on Donte for some reason but Donte absolutely had the value of a 2nd round pick so we basically gave up a 2nd for a "rental."

I honestly think we keep him and extend him though. He fits really well in Canales' offense.

You know, he actually has the least separation of any of our WR's per NFL Next Gen Stats. 2.4 yds. Behind Mingo, AT and XL(in that order).

• Beer 1

I don't know.  I wouldn't trade him yet.  Heck, I wouldn't trade anyone until the trade deadline.  Our offensive players are only going to get more valuable as performance improves.  If Diante balls out the next few weeks before the deadline, and since he's an expiring contract AND we have a lot of money tied up elsewhere...  Then I can absolutely see us trading him and recouping some other value for him.

If we trade Dionte Johnson then we need a clear plan to replace his skillset in the draft or in Free Agency. He is a very skilled route runner and very agile. We cannot replace him with a mingo or a legette or a TMJ esque player.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

13 minutes ago, d-dave said:

I don't know.  I wouldn't trade him yet.  Heck, I wouldn't trade anyone until the trade deadline.  Our offensive players are only going to get more valuable as performance improves.  If Diante balls out the next few weeks before the deadline, and since he's an expiring contract AND we have a lot of money tied up elsewhere...  Then I can absolutely see us trading him and recouping some other value for him.

I think it just depends on that "offer you can't refuse" aspect. It's tough to even think about trading him now because we are only 4 games in, finally looking competitive and AT is out.

By game 6 or 7, things may be more clear, the price may be too good, etc.

Honestly, if he had no desire to return at all, it would make sense to move him if we are still rattling off losses.

The fear would be it takes some of the juice out of the offense and hurts morale 

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, Daeavorn said:

If we trade Dionte Johnson then we need a clear plan to replace his skillset in the draft or in Free Agency. He is a very skilled route runner and very agile. We cannot replace him with a mingo or a legette or a TMJ esque player.

But we may not have a choice in the matter. Let's say he just has no desire to come back here. You you to at least consider offers, at that point. 

There are a lot of factors we don't see. Team chemistry, morale, scheme fit, etc.

• Beer 1

I'm mixed on this.  If he 100% isn't coming back and we feel that way as well, get the best you can for him if it makes sense.  Same for Adam. But it hurts because we haven't drafted a good receiver since Steve Smith so it's not like we're a proven team to develop receivers.

• Beer 1

20 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

You know, he actually has the least separation of any of our WR's per NFL Next Gen Stats. 2.4 yds. Behind Mingo, AT and XL(in that order).

That's crazy and not what I would have guessed. Is this effected by the first 2 gams where they eventually just let guys behind them without fear? He seems like a good route runner with good speed while his hands appear to be his weakness. That's wild and makes me wonder what I am missing. 

13 minutes ago, Waldo said:

That's crazy and not what I would have guessed. Is this effected by the first 2 gams where they eventually just let guys behind them without fear? He seems like a good route runner with good speed while his hands appear to be his weakness. That's wild and makes me wonder what I am missing. 

I looked at the Cushion data too and it appears that he gets the least cushion of all our receivers. My guess is that it is influenced by several factors. I would assume he is usually drawing the best cover guy or extra coverage more often than the rest. He is also the slightest of all those WR's, so I would assume they are less likely to be worried about getting bodied if they are in press coverage. The rest is probably just the type of routes he is getting.

• Pie 1

I think if the mentoring by Thielen and Andy goes like I hope and truly believe it will, X, by game 12 will have us saying Johnson who? 

My prediction is that by week 7, we will have traded Johnson for a solid linebacker and X will start really coming on. Additionally, Dalton is THE guy that Mingo needs. Dalton can put the ball anywhere. He’ll put it exactly where Mingo wants it to be. Confidence is essential, especially at WR.

Mingo has seen a season of hospital balls and off target circus catches. It doesn’t take a genius to see how skills would atrophy and the demotivating funk sets in. You see how this 5’9” kid is about to kill a career you’ve worked your whole life towards? Naw, bruh.  I really couldn’t imagine. You put in to that kind of work your whole life, get drafted and think your dream is coming true, then you meet your starting QB. There would be a full metal jacket, how’s that bar of soap feel, meeting. He may not blossom, but this is his one chance to show the NFL that he’s actually useful. 

I’m telling y’all, you can’t have better mentors for young receivers than Dalton and Thielen. Here’s the correct way to do this with surgical precision. Our home growns will finally develop. 

Johnson will blow it up this year and the allure is there, but for the first time since 2003, we have mentoring that is capable in helping a raw WR talent realize potential. 

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

No one is trading a 1st for him. We can take the offer or let him walk for free this offseason. 

Then I would take our chances and keep him and see how he does and if he likes what we have to offer here as his team moving forward while also having hope he will be interested in a contract where he is worth which by all means appears to be a decent contract. I wouldn't just trade him for any joke pick as it undermined the whole point of even getting him in the first place. Keep him and see how he does and if he likes what we have to offer here. It's worth the gamble to me over some 4th or 5th round pick.

9 minutes ago, Ricky Prickles said:

Then I would take our chances and keep him and see how he does and if he likes what we have to offer here as his team moving forward while also having hope he will be interested in a contract where he is worth which by all means appears to be a decent contract. I wouldn't just trade him for any joke pick as it undermined the whole point of even getting him in the first place. Keep him and see how he does and if he likes what we have to offer here. It's worth the gamble to me over some 4th or 5th round pick.

4rth or 5th you simply keep him.  3rd you think long and hard.  A 2nd is a no brainer (it aint happening)

I gotta think with these "reports" from yesterday morgan has to be at least having some dialogue with his agent

10 minutes ago, Ricky Prickles said:

Not a 4th but a 2nd or 3rd is better than nothing. 

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

4rth or 5th you simply keep him.  3rd you think long and hard.  A 2nd is a no brainer (it aint happening)

I gotta think with these "reports" from yesterday morgan has to be at least having some dialogue with his agent

So you keep him and lose him for nothing (if those reports are true) instead of taking a 4th?

2 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

So you keep him and lose him for nothing (if those reports are true) instead of taking a 4th?

Like I said I would want something from him or his agent right up until the deadline depending on what the record is.  If they are sincere in negotiating in good faith I probably would roll the dice.  If we are sitting on 2ish wins then I would fire sale anything of value.   As we discussed yesterday I would offer him fair contract 3 year deal now and see if he bites on that or risks getting hurt or not as much on the open market.  If we offer him something like 3 year 20 per 40 guaranteed he would be a fool to turn that down, an absolute fool