• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers open practice window for 5 injured players

27 minutes ago, Basbear said:

I honestly thought he was the best RB in the draft. Just carolina was not player for him, given the needs and value. The RB is lower than the safety market, derrick henry was signed for 2 years at 16 million. Many others cases, but panthers used a prime spot on guy that may not play half the year with 3 other guys already here. just bad management.

It only makes sense if he goes prime jamaal charles. 

In terms of resource allocation to the position I agree with you completely and I've been saying that for years now. We'll just have to see how it shakes out though.

9 minutes ago, BullCityP said:

Kneeland has 8 tackles 0 sacks. Kool-aid isn't even starting, Jenkins has 2 tackles 0 sacks. Our guy hasn't even played and is making the same impact of the guys you named lol. Getting the best RB in the draft but having to wait 5-6 weeks for him to play isn't bad at all. 

i didnt look at stats, just being honest form the draft time.

jenkins has missed games.

brooks has lost game snaps and reps, hes FARRR behind and will never reach the other names unless they get hurt. Hes behind on everything besides rehabbing. 

we'll see, he feels like a 2025 pick. 

10 minutes ago, frankw said:

In terms of resource allocation to the position I agree with you completely and I've been saying that for years now. We'll just have to see how it shakes out though.

You spend recourses to get GOOD PLAYERS which we don't have alot of right now no matter the position. We aren't in the position to pick and choose which positions we take just draft BPA and get as many good players as we can each draft.

1 hour ago, mrcompletely11 said:

we get 3 weeks to make a decision on Brooks if I remember correctly but I seriously doubt this is good news

Yup. Been 10 months now and he was supposedly ahead of schedule 12 weeks post surgery. He's not playing this year.

4 minutes ago, BullCityP said:

You spend recourses to get GOOD PLAYERS which we don't have alot of right now no matter the position. We aren't in the position to pick and choose which positions we take just draft BPA and get as many good players as we can each draft.

according to many brooks was clearly the highest player on their board and they were worried about dallas jumping up since jerrah said he was the best interview in 30 years. funny dallas still needs a RB or even two.

Im a value nerd, RB is down there with kickers currently. 

3 minutes ago, BullCityP said:

Of course but when you have squandered resources the way we have the last few years on either bad to simply horrific investments when you trade up to acquire talent for a roster that is depleted across the board like ours you need to get results sooner rather than later. But he has to play this season. This is a crucial developmental season for a lot of young guys. If he can't go at all that is an unequivocal fail for the time being as far as grading the selection goes.

1 hour ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

Brooks was very much a draft pick for next season. Chuba has developed into an excellent RB but he's gonna be a free agent and Miles Sanders can be cut in the offseason or possibly traded in-season. 

My opinion is this--a RB rarely earns the second contract--they peak around age 27.  If you recall, we drafted another Jonathan running back off the surgeon's table--Stewart.  He spent a lot of time on the exercise bike if you recall, and I would argue, even though he was successful as a player, he was not a value.  In my view, RBs are so plentiful and they hit the wall so quickly, I would not sign a RB to a pricey second contract.  Now, if anyone adopted my position, we will pay Brooks for 4 years to give us 3 years of productivity.  Furthermore,  Texas had/has a solid OL and passing game.  I am not sure that he will be as good without those two advantages....We shall see.  I would have rather seen us go a different direction with the second overall pick.  I hope he proves me wrong--I am not predicting that he will fail--and I think (with Sanders doing OK at times and Chuba) I would give him a few more weeks to heal.

• Beer 1

14 minutes ago, TarHeel69 said:

I understand Wonnum had Quad surgery.  Just wondering if the team is being extra cautious or is he gonna be another vet coming in here to collect a check?  I'm a realist, I know he isn't going to fix the pass rush.

He had a setback during the rehabbing of that quad. He was on time for TC, but that was 2 months ago. 

5 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

My opinion is this--a RB rarely earns the second contract--they peak around age 27.  If you recall, we drafted another Jonathan running back off the surgeon's table--Stewart.  He spent a lot of time on the exercise bike if you recall, and I would argue, even though he was successful as a player, he was not a value.  In my view, RBs are so plentiful and they hit the wall so quickly, I would not sign a RB to a pricey second contract.  Now, if anyone adopted my position, we will pay Brooks for 4 years to give us 3 years of productivity.  Furthermore,  Texas had/has a solid OL and passing game.  I am not sure that he will be as good without those two advantages....We shall see.  I would have rather seen us go a different direction with the second overall pick.  I hope he proves me wrong--I am not predicting that he will fail--and I think (with Sanders doing OK at times and Chuba) I would give him a few more weeks to heal.

That along with the current RB market, its at the lowest its been % wise. Teams are paying WRs, OGs, DTs, dam near all spots minus ST before RBs.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/_/year/2024/position/rb/sort/contract_value

3rd slot WRs are getting more. 

Sure you need good players, but Ill take a good Edge over elite Long snapper. 

Panthers should know this and take advantage, but like my friend said after the draft "Dan drafted like its still his playing era." 

28 minutes ago, Basbear said:

He had a setback during the rehabbing of that quad. He was on time for TC, but that was 2 months ago. 

I know, but we have been a "last/easy paycheck" destination for the last 3 years.  Hoping it's not true about Wonnum.