• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Do we attempt to extend Diontae this season?

1 minute ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Mingo/XL sounds like a disaster WR crew for next season. Hell Mingo already borderline a bust. He's shown nothing.

We do this every time a good player needs to get paid. Johnson is a #1 WR caliber player. Keep him if the price is reasonable.

You think he is a WR1?

3 minutes ago, CRA said:

I mean, that has been the general assumption since the day we acquired him.  

Then he should add some context to it instead just vomiting it out like a moron acting as if he has some inside info on the situation is just a bad look IMO

Edited by mrcompletely11

Just now, ForJimmy said:

You think he is a WR1?

For sure he's been open damn near every game.

The drops were a issue in Pitt we all knew this. Yesterday proved his hands can be questionable, but he has shown he's elite at getting open. I'm not concerned about the drops he will make more catches as the season goes.

What's clear is this offense doesn't work without Johnson. Darnold targeted him a lot for a reason.

4 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Mingo/XL sounds like a disaster WR crew for next season. Hell Mingo already borderline a bust. He's shown nothing.

We do this every time a good player needs to get paid. Johnson is a #1 WR caliber player. Keep him if the price is reasonable.

Yes. Anytime the team knows they can't or shouldn't resign a guy that's what they should be doing. That was moving Burns when 'the offer' came in. Jackson was a good move too. Letting guys walk for nothing or trading them with less value so you can squeeze one more meaningless year of play out of them is the bad choice. Jackson was traded for that reason and it was a good call. 

2 hours ago, Panthercougar68 said:

If its a crazy deal I can see it but all you keep seeing people throw around are 3rds and 4ths.

Fans of other teams seem to think the panthers only have a handful of picks and no first next year

We currently have 9 picks.

That makes no sense because we will prob get a third for him anyway if he walks this year. The chiefs will be drafting 30-32 so nothing less than a first imo. That would be a true job well done by Dan if he could flip Donte Jackson into a 1st

Btw I'm not saying we have to sign Johnson to a big contract. I'm saying see what we can get in a trade before the deadline. If we can get a 1st or 2nd we have to do that deal. If not we sign him in the off-season to a reasonable contract.

I rather have Johnson for cheaper over a guy like Tee Higgins who will be wanting WR 1 money.

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

For us, as it stands today, sure.  Do I think he could be a lights out #2 and really open things up hell yes.  

He broke 1000 yards once in his career.  Sure he looks good in comparison to Mingo and our rookie XL.  I do think that DC's offense is pretty WR friendly.  I just know he is going to want to be paid a lot.  I'm not against it but we have a lot of holes to fill....

2 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

For sure he's been open damn near every game.

The drops were a issue in Pitt we all knew this. Yesterday proved his hands can be questionable, but he has shown he's elite at getting open. I'm not concerned about the drops he will make more catches as the season goes.

What's clear is this offense doesn't work without Johnson. Darnold targeted him a lot for a reason.

Happy North Carolina GIF by Carolina Panthers

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, Panthera onca said:

If we can't get a second + a late round pick for him then work out an extension if possible. Diontae will want big money though. The Chiefs are in the middle of their Super Bowl window and might just be desperate enough to part with a second.

I wouldn’t take a chiefs second for him. Thats basically just a high third round pick. Probably around 62-64 range 

1 hour ago, Zaximus said:

After this year aren't we freeing up a good chunk of cap, like $50 million or something in dead cap?  I mean since Steve Smith we've drafted one good receiver and that was DJ Moore.

We pushed out Moton which eats into that and we will prob need to pay Dalton $25M or so 

1 minute ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Steelers tried to give this dude way to the entire league.....and couldn't.   One good game and you are declaring him a #1 caliber WR we should be locking up (and overpaying in reality).   He isn't a 1.  He is a 2.  A 2 trying to salvage his rep and earn a decent contract somewhere else. 

What we do...is mismanage out roster.  Which is what paying him would be.  This is like when people tried to manifest Robbie Anderson into a #1 and better than DJ Moore.....and our dumb franchise did overpay for a roleplayer that was always what he had shown to be.  He just happened to have a random couple good games.  Which all players do. 

The 2025 wouldn't be just XL/Mingo.  You rep them heavy to find out what they should be in that 2025 corp.  Then you go out and find some budget complimentary pieces.   Which had have been doing.  Johnson is an example of one.   You keep doing that to add to the young talent you are building up. 

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Btw I'm not saying we have to sign Johnson to a big contract. I'm saying see what we can get in a trade before the deadline. If we can get a 1st or 2nd we have to do that deal. If not we sign him in the off-season to a reasonable contract.

I rather have Johnson for cheaper over a guy like Tee Higgins who will be wanting WR 1 money.

nobody is giving a first or 2nd for a 11ish game rental, get real