• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Do we attempt to extend Diontae this season?

Panthercougar68

2 hours ago, Bear Hands said:

A lot of players find themselves in Diontae's position and use a situation like ours to re-elevate and get a new multi-year contract.  We're a bridge year for him.  

Just depends if he actually likes it here enough to consider a contract in house, but he's obviously going to go to the highest offer and best spot for him, very likely not here.

Would love to see us rebuild around that Arizona receiver.  It's rare to get a guy that size with that much finese in route running.  

If we land TMac @tukafan21will be so happy! 

22 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'd shop him to contenders with need at the deadline. He's playing well but he's a headcase. That's why the Steelers were happy to ship him off for a 6th. I'd honestly rather have good draft compensation than sink big guaranteed money into a guy who might be a taking time bomb. I'd definitely keep him through the season and take the comp pick afterwards if we were developing a young QB but that's just not the case.

I haven't seen any headcase behavior out of him. 

He was inconsistent with the steelers. 

22 hours ago, Eazy-E said:

He and XL should be viewed as our 1 and 2 for the next 4 years. If everything is worked out correctly, DJs money should be coming off the books when it’s time to extend XL.

We can’t afford to keep trading away our proven WR threats.

Especially if we want our offense to be competitive and competent. 

• Pie 2

We finally have an elite Oline, a competent QB, a RB1 caliber running back in Chuba (with Brooks still to come), and DJ & XL looked like the best starting WR's we've had in years.

What else is there to "fix" on the offense?  IMHO there's not much (outside of a TE that is consistent receiving threat).

Our draft capital needs to be spent fixing the defense.  We should be able to do that next offseason and be a legit playoff contender next year.

Fixing the Oline & QB was the biggest part of this rebuild.  There's no reason for this to take more than one more offseason.

And extending DL is a no brainer, provided he wants to be here.

• Pie 2

The Panthers have to stop trading their good players for draft picks in hopes of drafting more good players.  This is football 101 and Dan Morgan knows what he is doing so the days of giving up our good players for scraps is over.  They need to extend DJ in the offseason and most teams stop contract talks during the season so this isn't a distraction.  DJ is going to get paid if his production continues and he'll deserve every penny of it.  

• Beer 1

9 minutes ago, BEASTfromdaEAST said:

I say absolutely, I liked what I saw having him and XL as our 1,2 punch as WRs. Stop trading away talent for fug sake! 

I agree and I haven't given up on Mingo as a no. 3 yet.  

8 minutes ago, Seltzer said:

We finally have an elite Oline, a competent QB, a RB1 caliber running back in Chuba (with Brooks still to come), and DJ & XL looked like the best starting WR's we've had in years.

What else is there to "fix" on the offense?  IMHO there's not much (outside of a TE that is consistent receiving threat).

Our draft capital needs to be spent fixing the defense.  We should be able to do that next offseason and be a legit playoff contender next year.

Fixing the Oline & QB was the biggest part of this rebuild.  There's no reason for this to take more than one more offseason.

And extending DL is a no brainer, provided he wants to be here.

I’m trying my hardest to extend DJ and Dalton before they ever hit the open market. Draft heavily on defense for the next 2 years while taking some flyers on mid round QBs and see if something hits. 

After Bryce I want to stay away from first round QBs for a few years.

If Diontae wants to be here then you see what you can work out to try to convince him to stay. Can't keep getting rid of everyone and expect to suddenly back your way into an all pro at the same position.

At the same time we need to see how he finishes the season. And our salary cap outlook is not great. If he wants to hold us over a barrel then you have to look at all available options.

IMO we should be talking about extending him by mid-season if he keeps playing well. 3-4 year deal $25-27M. He wants a big contract. We have to pay him like an elite receiver. He burned a poo out of the Bengals and the Raiders. If he had had 4 games of decent quarterbacking he'd probably be a top 5 receiver statistically. He's still top 20 with the absolute worst quarterbacking he could have had the first 2 games.

• Beer 1

10 minutes ago, PantherGuy said:

IMO we should be talking about extending him by mid-season if he keeps playing well. 3-4 year deal $25-27M. He wants a big contract. We have to pay him like an elite receiver. He burned a poo out of the Bengals and the Raiders. If he had had 4 games of decent quarterbacking he'd probably be a top 5 receiver statistically. He's still top 20 with the absolute worst quarterbacking he could have had the first 2 games.

If you are saying that as annual pay, I don't think so, but you are right that he is valuable and good. 

Edited by strato