• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Do we attempt to extend Diontae this season?

2 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I tend to look at windows--our window is going to be open between 2025 and 2029, based on the ages and contracts of the core players, imo.  I would trade if it makes us better in the long run, but you have to remember that a second round pick is only 70% likely to be successful in the NFL (PFF).  If you spend $25m per year on Johnson, that could be used to pay several players on a first contract. 

If Johnson was 25 or 26 and he had no history of being a problem child, I would consider it.  However, Legette is looking like he could be a #1.  If we could get a #2 from KC and find a WR #2 in the draft, then Mingo, Coker, and another year with Thielen (contract) might be enough. 

Johnson is good, but he did drop 2 balls Sunday.  In all, I think I counted 5 drops by Panther WRs---that is the difference of the game, imo.

I think Johnson's ceiling is really a #2.   His hands aren't good enough and that 50/50 ball sort of highlights what he isn't.  He isn't a rookie like Leggette.  He basically is what he will be. 

I loved what I saw out of Leggette.  He is raw.  First real start.  Basically had Johnson numbers.  But once the game slows down....you got to like the way he already uses his body out there. 

• Pie 1

He could get 20ish million per with a high SB, just the insane market.

My honest take, if morgan feels he can not resign, but allll means trade him for the best draft pick/s.

I think panthers will have(sorta shocking) some good players ava at the trade deadline. Christ for a 3rd should be done, either hubbard or sanders for 5-7(if they dont feel hubs will resign). troy hill for a 7th. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Gapanthersfan said:

I would much rather give $$ to homegrown dudes. Character matters. To dish a big contract to someone who hasn’t even been on the team a year… that’s gonna be a no from me, dog. 

The entire league could of had him for cheap....now the worst team in sports wants to lock him up because of 2 games.  Only one of which was really good. 

• Pie 1

Just now, Basbear said:

He could get 20ish million per with a high SB, just the insane market.

My honest take, if morgan feels he can not resign, but allll means trade him for the best draft pick/s.

I think panthers will have(sorta shocking) some good players ava at the trade deadline. Christ for a 3rd should be done, either hubbard or sanders for 5-7(if they dont feel hubs will resign). troy hill for a 7th. 

If we could get him for 20 million per I would do that in a second but he is going to want more

17 minutes ago, CRA said:

I think Johnson's ceiling is really a #2.   His hands aren't good enough and that 50/50 ball sort of highlights what he isn't.  He isn't a rookie like Leggette.  He basically is what he will be. 

I loved what I saw out of Leggette.  He is raw.  First real start.  Basically had Johnson numbers.  But once the game slows down....you got to like the way he already uses his body out there. 

Once X and Andy develop some more chemistry and he coaches him up… it’s going to be so beautiful. Andy is good for these dudes confidence. He doesn’t throw hospital balls and his passes are very consistent. 

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

If we could get him for 20 million per I would do that in a second but he is going to want more

I dont see how the panthers can fit that in their cap, i think its forgone, hes forgone. Might as well trade him for a mid-round pick/s

• Beer 1

He is fun to watch and good but with all the wasted cap they need to deal with to clean up the roster I don't know how they do it. I'm fine with rolling through the season hoping the young guys can be coached up and letting him go find his money bags. If we drafted better we wouldn't have needed to trade for him. This team might only be able to afford one decent free agent this offseason so it's a hard sell for me on an extension.

A bunch of these guys should be dealt for picks. That would be the smart move with anyone they can't afford next year. We have seen enough to know that there is more cleaning up needed to be done and at best this year is still a top 10 pick. Go get the assets to do a true rebuild and Johnson could help that. 

50 minutes ago, CRA said:

We are rebuilding team yet have no cap. It is what it is.  Overpaying vets isn’t what you do.  You can’t mismanage going forward because we mismanaged in the past. 

what we should do is exactly what we did with Johnson.  Find another discount vet.  We are so starved for offense all it took was 1 game and folks want him locked up. 

Mingo/XL sounds like a disaster WR crew for next season. Hell Mingo already borderline a bust. He's shown nothing.

We do this every time a good player needs to get paid. Johnson is a #1 WR caliber player. Keep him if the price is reasonable.

• Pie 2