• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Stop Being Insane(remaining season primer)

kungfoodude

The team is now something to support and get behind, they are competing. That is an achievement in itself considering how low we were just two weeks ago.

Last year we only hit 30+ points once and 20+ points three times. 

We will continue to lose games but that’s ok provided we continue to run an offence that can sustain drives and score points. That’s the most fundamental requirement of the modern game and we are doing it with Andy Dalton…!

Hopefully now fans will want to start getting back in the seats?!

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I really disliked the draft too but it just is what it is. Hopefully we get a couple of hits and then it won't matter about the misses. 

Look at a guy like Hubbard, for instance. He was skewered by this board as being "Rhule's wifes pick" and was a disaster as a rookie and second year player. But, he's now a competent starting caliber RB with much improved hands. He has been a hell of a pick in hindsight.

So maybe Wallace or Sanders end up being those players in 2-3 seasons. 

In defense of Hubbard, he had been a productive college back. So, people shouldn't have been surprised that has has become productive in the pros. But yeah, hoping some of the rookies pan out is all this team has.

6 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I really disliked the draft too but it just is what it is. Hopefully we get a couple of hits and then it won't matter about the misses. 

Look at a guy like Hubbard, for instance. He was skewered by this board as being "Rhule's wifes pick" and was a disaster as a rookie and second year player. But, he's now a competent starting caliber RB with much improved hands. He has been a hell of a pick in hindsight.

So maybe Wallace or Sanders end up being those players in 2-3 seasons. 

Fair but Chuba was a 4th rounder.  Those excuses don't really work for rounds 1-2, and I'd argue even the 3rd round pick we made.  That said I was glad to see XL get involved yesterday, and I'm hoping that Brooks is the real deal.  A lot of fans probably won't wanna hear this, but we honestly need to let Chuba walk at the end of the season.  Second contracts to RBs are just not a winning formula.

• Beer 1

Bravo. 

my takes:

1. Please don’t panthers this one up. No  big name overhyped FA who comes here to retire. These moves set us back further every year. Keep the staff intact, keep Evero for at least 2 more years to build the right way. Draft young. No tweeners. No projects. Just honest to God football players. 

2. We are no longer the laughing stock, get right game for other teams, and that feels really, really good.

3. I wouldn’t say we’re bad. I’d call it not good… but that’s an ok place to be as long as momentum is in the right direction. I’m actually really ok with being not good. 

All it took was a QB change to go from F it, burn it to the ground, to I actually want to watch this stuff. Amazing. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

In defense of Hubbard, he had been a productive college back. So, people shouldn't have been surprised that has has become productive in the pros. But yeah, hoping some of the rookies pan out is all this team has.

Well he is also an outlier in that he didn't pop until later. Usually those 3rd to 5th rounder RB's that end up starting caliber IMMEDIATELY pop. He took real time to completely develop and he did the work to do so.

4 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Fair but Chuba was a 4th rounder.  Those excuses don't really work for rounds 1-2, and I'd argue even the 3rd round pick we made.  That said I was glad to see XL get involved yesterday, and I'm hoping that Brooks is the real deal.  A lot of fans probably won't wanna hear this, but we honestly need to let Chuba walk at the end of the season.  Second contracts to RBs are just not a winning formula.

Oh I agree. We can't keep whiffing in the top two rounds. It's not going to work out long term like that.

Chuba it really depends on the money and Brooks. If Brooks immediately looks like a guy, it doesn't make a lot of sense to be paying Chuba too.

We can't keep whiffing in the top two rounds.

But that's a Panthers' tradition, especially round 2 whiffs

Chuba it really depends on the money and Brooks. If Brooks immediately looks like a guy, it doesn't make a lot of sense to be paying Chuba too.

Chuba is doing good work, but the team shouldn't pay another RB a large, second contract. Draft them, get what you can while they're on those cheap rookie deals, and move on. Let others overpay.

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

Chuba is doing good work, but the team shouldn't pay another RB a large, second contract. Draft them, get what you can while they're on those cheap rookie deals, and move on. Let others overpay.

I agree

We’re obviously going to cut Sanders this offseason and if they flip that money over to Chuba then smh

I like Chuba. He’s improved so much and typically those are the guys you invest in but we just drafted a RB in the 2nd round. 

Chuba typically picks up what the OL gives him. He’s got some speed to turn the corner but he isn’t making anyone miss in the open field. You better be able to replace a guy like that in the draft 

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

- Most importantly: ENJOY THE RETURN OF WATCHABLE FOOTBALL. Don't get insane/delusional/manic with expectations of divisional titles, playoff berths, etc. It isn't going to happen in 2024. That doesn’t mean we can't enjoy this coaching staff and the competence they bring. It doesn't mean we can't enjoy being competitive in many more games that we have been recently. It doesn't mean that we can't enjoy the best OL we have had in many, many years. It doesn't mean we can't enjoy the first competent QB play we have seen since Cam got his shoulder nuked.

This ^100%. 

Just enjoy the possibility that we COULD win any game that we are heading into. We probably aren't winning most of them, probably not a lot of them, but definitely some of them. And that is an improvement over past years. We don't really have a shot at doing much, but we do have something watchable and a lot of growth happening.

And that's something to hang our hat on.

Oh, and I think we have the right coach in place to see us through this and onto better things. Feels a bit like 2002 again.

• Pie 2

6 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

I agree

We’re obviously going to cut Sanders this offseason and if they flip that money over to Chuba then smh

I like Chuba. He’s improved so much and typically those are the guys you invest in but we just drafted a RB in the 2nd round. 

Chuba typically picks up what the OL gives him. He’s got some speed to turn the corner but he isn’t making anyone miss in the open field. You better be able to replace a guy like that in the draft 

Yep. Investing in the Oline instead of RBs. It pays off a lot better as well since the line greatly benefits the QB as well. Keep drafting and paying the line. They'll make any RB look good if you do it right.

Edited by jayboogieman
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Just now, jayboogieman said:

Yep. Investing in the Oline instead of RBs pays off a lot better as well since that greatly benefits the QB as well. Keep drafting and paying the line. They'll make any RB look good if you do it right.

Miles Sanders being a prime example 

• Pie 2

Bravo on this post! I would add to enjoy watch Dave Canales call games and learn how to be a head coach.  Andy can run his system and is playing like he has nothing to lose slinging it over the yard.  If Canales is a hit then we really have something to build the foundation on.

It’s a growing year. It’s unfortunate the team won’t be growing with a young QB, but at least some of the other young players are getting developmental snaps. Losing Thielen was a massive loss for the offense, they needed his hands on third down against the Bengals. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yep, we suck. But at least it's a watchable version of suck which is a massive improvement over the Bryce Young era.

Yeah the Bryce suck was boring. It’s funny how much of a difference there is between a 4-12 quality and 2-14 quality team. 

• Pie 2